Thread: Reloadable 17?

Basic Member

Reloadable 17?

I know there are a number of 17's out there, some real hot ones too, but I am wondering about one that's just a little more than the HMR but reloadable, AND able to be used in a Savage rifle? The 17 Hornet or K-Hornet seems to be close but not usable in a Savage bolt, besides the model 25, which I don't own.

Any other suggestions? Wildcats considered.

Basic Member

Re: Reloadable 17?

I have a Savage 110 rechambered to 17x225 Winchester; shoots and functions very well.

leather5to1

I think I remember cooper making a small 17 centerfire. I don't remember if it ever took off or what case the used, I'll have to hunt it up.

Eric in NC

17-221 Fireball. I think Remington even makes ammo now.

82boy

17 mach IV (221 fireball necked down to 17.)
    Remington offers ammo called the 17 remington fireball
    17 remington (223 Rem necked down.)

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by wch
    I have a Savage 110 rechambered to 17x225 Winchester; shoots and functions very well.
    Interesting. You're telling me this cause of the rimmed case I assume? The case is much larger than I was looking for, but you're saying it feeds from the magazine and ejects correctly?

seeing these replies got me to searching with a bit more to start with, thanks. The cooper is called the 17 CCM (cooper centerfire magnum) so am trying to find out a little more. There is also a rimmed case called the 17 Squirrel, but know nothing about it yet.

I will keep ya posted. I really want something less than the $12-14 I have to pay for 50 rounds of WMR ammo.

dcloco

17 Fireball would be my choice. ...other than the price of the brass.

Low report and, well, no recoil.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    17 Fireball would be my choice. ...other than the price of the brass.

Low report and, well, no recoil.
    Wondering how low of velocity it could be loaded to, accurately? All I need is in the 3000 range, maybe up to 3200, but more is going to get too loud I think.

Basic Member

I agree with the idea of a .17 Fireball (Mach IV) from a realistic standpoint. Factory ammo available and it is really efficient. The 17 Remington is way overbore, The .17 Fireball comes near to its performance with much less powder and less muzzle blast. Of course a 17 AI Hornet would be fun (except for fireforming).

thomae

;D
    How about a .17-06?
    ;D

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thomae
    ;D
    How about a .17-06?
    ;D
    That would be quite interesting to see. With the velocities involved, I think that the bullet would rip itself apart lol. ;D ;D
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

robert d

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x374/robert402/006.jpg[/img]

This is formed from 22 hornet on left neck to 20cal then to 17 fireform 9grs 4227 gets me 2950 with old 20gr rem bullets. I shoot this on a contender 20inch barrel that a local gun smith made for me it does what you wanted faster than HMR and cheaper to shoot. The 17 fireball
    had not yet come out when I had this built. Its a fun gun to shoot but its a lot of work making cases. The 17 fireball would be my choice today but I have this one now so I'll keep shooting it till I run out of good brass. might be a while though have over 600 cases made up. 4198 will take it up to 3500 if I need to go there.

Basic Member

This years model 25 walking varmint when it is available is supposed to be chambered for 5.7 x 28. i have heard of necking this down to a .17. They call it the 17 velociraptor and it should be smoking. Still not 100% sure if the new model 25's will have a barrel nut or pinned barrel. i have one from last yr in .223 and its a pinned in barrel.

davemuzz

I've posted this a few times on this forum. I took a Stevens 200 and wrenched on a Sinman barrel that he chambered for me in 17 Fireball. The "short story" is that I cut out the blind mag box to accept a piece of walnut which I made at my buddies wood shop. This piece of wood was cut to fit into the blind box, and then cut to accept a removable CZ .221 Fireball Mag. The .221 Fireball is the exact same size as the .17 Fireball with the exception of the bullet.

I lost my Chrony data when my other laptop crashed, but I believe I'm getting 3600fps with a 25gr. Berger bullet from my .17 Fireball. The only "down side" if there is one....is the CZ mag has a strong spring in it. So I don't load more than 3 rounds in the mag....or I will have jams on the first two rounds.

BTW, I also had to extend the feed lips on the walnut or the fireball cartridge would just "pop" out of the mag before the bullet was in the chamber. AND....the mag must be set at the proper angle so when the rear of the cartridge releases, the nose of the bullet is in the barrel. The Mag "clicks" into the walnut via a piece of piano wire on each end of the walnut insert. (I just drilled a small hole thru the walnut and ran a piece of piano wire thru it to "click" the mag in. Works like a charm!! ;D

Here are some pics:

[img width=600 height=401]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/Stevens%20Fireball/DSC00917.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=401]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/Stevens%20Fireball/DSC00916.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=401]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/Stevens%20Fireball/DSC00913.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=401]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/Stevens%20Fireball/DSC00918.jpg[/img]

BTW.....I have "cleaned it up" from the pic's that I've posted here. These pics were from the work in progress as I was doing the project. And believe me.....I was "winging" it and it was a project. I think I tried 4 or 5 different magazine designs (which all failed) before I came across the CZ web site and found I could buy a .221 fireball detachable mag. And when I purchased that mag I still wasn't sure I could get it to feed reliably.

But....it did!! Nothing ventured...nothing gained.

Good luck with whatever you do. And remember.....you can always just buy a Rem in .17 Fireball!!!!

Dave