Thread: Moly vs. not

Moore

Moly vs. not

I'm new to the Savage C/F game and looking for input from experienced shooters. I've been told that if you start shooting moly coated that you should always shoot moly coated. On the other side if you start with non-moly you should not switch to moly. Would someone enlighten me on this issue and if its true, why?? Any feed back would be appreciated - Thanks!

M.O.A.

Re: Moly vs. not

no it not true it just that its a pain in the but to clean the moly out of the barrel and you have to get it out of the barrel to shoot non moly bullets but thats just what ive been told

MrMajestic

I had a bad experience with Moly bullets due to my lack of knowledge at the time. All I can tell you if it is not run correctly you will have a whale of a time removing it from your barrel. Do your research prior to starting! Nothing but naked for me now!

dcloco

Forget moly.

The best bullet coating out there is HBN (hexagonal boron nitride). Does NOT build up in the bore. Does not attract moisture.

Next best - Danzac/WS2. Does NOT build up in the bore. Can attract moisture.

I am still using WS2 - I bought half a pound.

HBN and WS2 is easily applied at home with a tumbler.

...and both WORK!

thomae

2 questions:
    1. Does anyone out there have any experience using bullet lubes such as HBN/WS2/Moly in a nitrided barrel?

2. If I shoot untreated bullets in a barrel treated with a)HBN, or b) Moly, will I see a noticeable difference?

Thanks in advance for your help.

racinready300ex

I used moly for a while, but switched to HBN. Very happy with it.

There is alot of talk about moly being bad on the net. But, I know guys that have been useing it for many many years and winning with them. And haven't seen any of the problems claimed to come with moly.

That said, I think HBN is still a little nicer. I enjoy sitting back at a match with the other guys shooting coated bullets and watching everyone else clean between relays.

I can't see how nitrided barrel would make a differance.

If your thinking of coating the barrel and not the bullets. I don't think that would work well.

82boy

You will find that there is a ton of information on the internet about Moly. All I can say is keep an open mind, there are a LOT of myths and supposed stories about moly, and they are just that, myths and stories. All I can say is this, if moly caused the damages that are reported, without any facts, Sierra, and other bullet manufactures would have stopped selling coated bullets years ago. The reason why some bullet makers stopped coating bullets was not do to claims of damage, but do to EPA standards, and lack of sales, and the easy for the consumer to coat their own bullets. Fact is these bullet manufactures coated hundreds of thousands of bullets, and consumers have coated hundreds of thousands of bullets, but there is little to no evidence that the events took place.

There is a web site that a guy rubbed a part of a barrel with moly and wetted it down, and got corrosion , and many people take this as gospile, but the probelm is his test was not scientific. To start he never had a control. He never tried to see if the results was repeatable. It is also hard to tell how he did the test, and if his results was not contaminated by an outside source.

I have never tried HBN or Ws2. I am not convinced that this stuff is any better than moly. I only know of 1 company (Superior Shooting Systems) that sells their bullets coated in this stuff, and they don't sell the high volumes that other bullets manufactures sell. I also questions some of the coatings they put on other bullets, but that is another story.

Now getting that out of the way, I have found that moly is a great thing. My experience with moly has been very positive. I break barrels in shooting the stuff. If you have the right equipment moly can be removed easy with little effort. I use a product called RB17, I found that when I push a couple of patches soaked in this stuff and then run a bronze brush through coated with the stuff for ten strokes, let the stuff sit in the barrel for 10 minutes, then run a brush through again coated, it then takes 2 dry patches, and all the moly is removed.

Moly can be shot, after a barrel has been shot with naked of standard bullets, the main thing is you want to make sure the barrel is clean before shooting moly. That means all the copper, and hard carbon buildup needs removed. If you want to shoot naked bullets after shooting moly, just scrub the moly out.

I can say there is one downside to moly use that I know of. Moly with make the bullet marks on a target more define, and darker, and it is possible that your target will be scored a few hundred thousands bigger. On the plus side it also could put you a few hundred thousands closer to the score ring.

racinready300ex

The only plus to HBN IMO is it's cleaner to work with. And if you believe the moly myths on the net, HBN isn't supposed to have those problems.

The biggest down side to HBN is probably, it costs more and is harder to find.

Basic Member

Ive been using moly in my varmint rigs since the 1980s. I have never had moly "ruin" a bbl. or ever ran into another user that has either. When I read that with NO proof or explaination of why then its another moly farce & most likey the users fault in the end. There is way to much mis-information on Moly in firearms and one has to keep an open mind.
    I never had an issue with cleaning moly from my bbls. & its not that much more involved than anything else.
    I usually run over 500 rounds before cleaning on my p-dog shoots & more sometimes and have yet to have a problem, but then again I am not looking to shoot everything into one hole since I am just popping varmints.
    I use Wipe Out liquids and foam to clean my moly use barrels back to normal.
    One day I ran 569 rounds p-dogging, took it to the range the following week with no cleaning and put 5 shots into .840" @ 100 yds so there is a lot of BS about moly. You use it or you dont. I wont say its for everyone either. I wont say its a perfect product, but it has worked for me all this time with zero issues. Never any moisture/rust issues.
    That said I do not moly any of my hunting loads as they are not for massive rounds of steady firing & I do not want moly in anything I am going to eat.
    I use my borscope after every cleaning in my moly use guns, bores are still perfect. It will not prevent throat erosion or realted chamber problems that grow over time.

Basic Member

Never used moly but I have been using the HBN for quite a while. I really like the performance increases.

seanhagerty

Since we are talking about it. what are the benefits of using HBN or moly?

Sean

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty
    Since we are talking about it. what are the benefits of using HBN or moly?
    Sean
    Well the reported main benefit is less wear on barrels, it provides a form of lubrication. It also allows the shooter to shoot more rounds between cleanings. From the research I have done, it also seams to add (very slight.) BC to a bullet. According to a well known bullet maker (That has many records under his bullets.) states that is places less stress, friction, and heat on a bullet, allowing it to preform better.

Moore

82boy -- Thanks for the information! Where would I look for RB17?
    Thanks Again!

82boy