Thread: Parts for 110 J Series

MtnCreek

Parts for 110 J Series

Well, it looks like I jumped the gun a little (pun intended). I have a 110 action stripped, blasted and ready to park. This was a 110 / .308 (long bolt throw / short action) ‘tactical’ w/ a 20” heavy contour barrel. It came as a blind mag, stagger feed.

I contacted Sharp Shooter Supply today wanting to purchase a DBM unit for this action. I was informed that I have a J Series with a 4.522 bolt spacing and there is little to no aftermarket support for these actions.

Does anyone here know of a quality DBM unit for this action? I spoke with McMillan and they have no issues with the bolt spacing, they just need my bottom metal to produce the stock. Please advise.

Edit, Additional Information: Serial # F492XXX. CDI does not support this bolt spacing. I called Savage and they were Zero help.

Thanks,
    MtnCreek

Basic Member

Re: Parts for 110 J Series

Have you measured your action screw spacing to see what it is?
    Not all short action calibers on the 110 action have the 4.522 spacing.
    Have a .223 on 110 thats standard 5in. spacing.

MtnCreek

I just got my hands on the reciever and it measuers +/- 5.08". It's a 'long action'; the mag well is cut from the feed ramp to about 0.8" from the backstrap of the reciever (otherwise it would look just like a 30-06, ...). Any ideas how this changes my search for a DBM?

Thanks!
    MtnCreek

Have someone mill the mag opening to match the mag opening of a centerfeed. Then you can use the stock of your choice that inlets for the factory HFP or DBM.

Or, you could just run it as a single shot. I'm using a LH version of the same action for my 338 Edge.

[img width=600 height=356]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001327.jpg[/img]

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

MtnCreek

I think I found what I'm looking for. I talked to a guy at Stockade Gunstocks and he said he can fix me up! I haven't seen his work, but he sounds like a really knowledgeable guy.

Thanks for the responses!
    MtnCreek

That would be Kevin Rahill. The stock on my rifle above is a Stockade. Knowing Kevin, you had a lengthy conversation. ;D
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

MtnCreek

Yes sir, we did. I think that’s the same stock he’s going to put on my rifle (Prairie Dog). It sounds like you guys here already know him and his work, but if I remember, I’ll post a couple of photos and comments when I get the rifle back in 3 months or so.

Thanks!

Team Savage

No such thing as a "one piece" mount for the "J". I know, I looked for a long time.
    Finally rounded up a few one piece Leupold mounts with the rear windage adjustment, shipped them off to Dan Armstrong in Alaska and had him build me a "custom" one piece mount. He cut, pieced and welded one up and it turned out looking like it was factory made. And I had it back in less than a week. 8)
    And, just about any stock can be modified to fit the "J" actions by moving the front screw hole forward. I've done a couple that way and they came out looking real good.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Mikie, he found out it wasn't a J. It is just a 110 long action with the short action mag opening.

Team Savage

That sure changes the subject of this thread.

Netz

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie
    No such thing as a "one piece" mount for the "J". I know, I looked for a long time.
    Finally rounded up a few one piece Leupold mounts with the rear windage adjustment, shipped them off to Dan Armstrong in Alaska and had him build me a "custom" one piece mount. He cut, pieced and welded one up and it turned out looking like it was factory made. And I had it back in less than a week. 8)
    And, just about any stock can be modified to fit the "J" actions by moving the front screw hole forward. I've done a couple that way and they came out looking real good.
    EGW makes then, I have a 20 moa on mine.
    Look at EGW's web site and it will say "Medium", they even gave me a call to verify the screw spacing.
    Curt

http://www.egwguns.com/savage/savage...y-scope-mount/

Team Savage

I wanted a "one piece base" with the adjustable rear windage. And mine fits like it was made for it. ;D
    Every mount I found hung over the port and didn't use "all" the screw holes in the action. And the EGW mount doesn't use the type on mounts I wanted. Like I said before, I looked. One size fits all wouldn't get it for me.

Netz

No the EGW does not have adjustable windage, but it is not a one-size fits all, they are made to fit the medium action, and they do use all 4 screw holes, it's a mice piece if your looking for that style mount.
    Curt

[img width=600 height=450]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92/Netz_/100_7889.jpg[/img]

Team Savage

I guess I should have said "There wasn't a "One Piece" mount for the "J" action
    in the style I was looking for at the time. And that was probably at least a year ago if not longer.
    I'll say this, that is one of the better looking mounts I've seen and it doesn't cover the port like 99% of the ones I ordered and sent back.
    Most hung over the front and didn't use all the screw holes in the action and were too short.
    By the # listed on all the mounts I looked at, they were either too long or too short. And I must have ordered and returned at least 5 different mounts.
    And I've seen it happen before that you didn't have enough windage adjustment in the scope so I wanted to get the scope straight and in line before I had to make any internal scope adjustments.

Netz

I haven't shot this rifle in this configuration, but I don't anticipate any windage problems, If I do encounter them then I will probably switch the rings to the Burris Sig rings.
    Curt

Team Savage

The main reason I went with the "rear windage" adjustment mount was because "some" of the Savage actions were known to be a little off?
    Things like "it shoots 10" to the right? Just planned ahead a little. Tried to head off any unseen problems before they became an issue.
    If you're shoots straight, you've got it made. ;D

Team Savage

Curt: As a "Basic Member" I'am not sure you can get PMs. Check yours and see, Mike.