Thread: 111 cant get bolt back together

Basic Member

111 cant get bolt back together

So I had the bolt head retaining pin break on my 111. I was advised on here to get the smaller firing pin and the matching retaining pin instead and it would be more durable. Well I got the parts in and now the pin that goes just in front of the handle wont go back into place. The sleeve that goes between the firing pin and the screw at the back of the bolt cannot line up on the new pin. Do I need a new one of those too? there are 4 teeth on the sleeve and 4 notches on the new pin. The old pin will line right up and let the mushroom-looking pin go right into place, but this one I have now the teeth dont line up quite right and the mushroom-looking pin wont fall into place unless I turn the sleeve a bit and take the teeth out of alignment and that wont let the screw at the back of the bolt go back in at all. Any suggestions?

Pics:

New pin
    [img width=600 height=338]http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/Bottlerocket91/2011-08-15_15-47-20_341.jpg[/img]

Old pin
    [img width=600 height=338]http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/Bottlerocket91/2011-08-15_15-47-38_14.jpg[/img]

Mushroom-looking pin I was talking about... (what the hell is this called? lol)
    [img width=600 height=338]http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/Bottlerocket91/2011-08-15_15-47-49_761.jpg[/img]

Quickshot

Re: 111 cant get bolt back together

That is called, cocking piece pin, with a payed membership you would be able to get into the bolt assembly in the gunsmithing archives and get a wealth of info. Best $12.00 you could spend if you intend to work on Savages. I'm sure someone will chime in with some help. Quick

Basic Member

The teeth on the sleeve have to line up in the notches or it will break the silver retainer.... Done that once... You should be able to take pressure off the silver retainer and turn it slightly to make them line up
    Silence is golden.... duct tape is silver!!

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jglover_81
    The teeth on the sleeve have to line up in the notches or it will break the silver retainer.... Done that once... You should be able to take pressure off the silver retainer and turn it slightly to make them line up
    So the silver piece on the firing pin has to be turned? Is there some trick to doing this? It seems quite stuck.

Also I wouldn't be opposed to joining, but at this point it says to expect a 24 hr wait before it takes effect, but I am leaving to go shoot tomorrow morning

Basic Member

I dont remember the exact way we screwed mine up ??? I will be home from work in about an hour and can look. I believe we compressed the spring and the retainer slid down but ill have to take mine apart and look to be 100% sure

Basic Member

Ok I have mine apart.... The silver retainer does not turn it is slotted on the firing pin. The rear part that the cocking pin goes through will turn to adjust. Turn it just enough to get the sleeve to line up

Don't forget to check your firing pin protrusion.

0.040 to 0.045" is about perfect.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar