Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel

MWalker

6.5 Creedmoor Barrel

I recently purchased a new Savage Weather Warrior .243 Model 16FSS. I was deciding between a .243 and .308 with every intention of converting to a 6.5 Creedmoor. The .243 was cheaper so I went that route. I haven't gotten the rifle yet as it had to be shipped to my FFL dealer. I am wanting to get the barrel asap as I am going to remove the .243 barrel before I fire any rounds through it. This is going to be my longrange coyote/target rifle. I want to be able to use on Antelope if I ever get drawn too. I will be keeping the Tupperware stock on it for the time being but will be bedding it. I have another Savage but this will be my first build. My question is where should I get my barrel? I assume it should be a prefit barrel? I want to keep it at 24" with a 1-8twist and shoot 140gr A-max or Berger's. I would like a little larger barrel than the sporter. I can just sand down the factory stock to make the larger barrel fit? What size barrel should I go with?

leather5to1

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel

I have found asap to be a bad way to build a rifle. I use shilen barrels on everything. I have had wonderful consistent results. I was impatient for a 6.5 wsm and called around and mcgowen had the fastest turn around, I wish I would have waited. There is nothing wrong with the barrel it just isn't up to the standards I'm use to. I would check northlander and see if he has any in stock, I've never bought from him but I know he keeps certain chambered barrels on hand.

I would go sporter if you are going to be carrying it and hunting with it. If you are going to be a lot of target then go varmint contour. Only you can decide that. You can wrap sandpaper around a dowel rod and sand the barrel channel until it is right just make sure you keep the channel straight. If you are going to bed the tupperware stock I recommend stiffening the forearm. I did one with fiberglass and aluminum rods and it came out great.

17 rem savage

i would check northlander he may have one. i went with a sporter in my 6.5 just cuz it is a field gun. also follow Leathers advice on suring up the forearm.

Advertiser

If you decide on going with a sporter contour, I have two more 6.5 Creedmoor barrels that have not been spoken for. Delivery will be later this month and at $112 this is a real bargain. You can order at www.gunshack.com.

17 rem savage

thats were i got mine cant wait to see it.lol

MWalker

Quote Originally Posted by leather5to1
    I have found asap to be a bad way to build a rifle. I use shilen barrels on everything. I have had wonderful consistent results. I was impatient for a 6.5 wsm and called around and mcgowen had the fastest turn around, I wish I would have waited. There is nothing wrong with the barrel it just isn't up to the standards I'm use to. I would check northlander and see if he has any in stock, I've never bought from him but I know he keeps certain chambered barrels on hand.

I would go sporter if you are going to be carrying it and hunting with it. If you are going to be a lot of target then go varmint contour. Only you can decide that. You can wrap sandpaper around a dowel rod and sand the barrel channel until it is right just make sure you keep the channel straight. If you are going to bed the tupperware stock I recommend stiffening the forearm. I did one with fiberglass and aluminum rods and it came out great.
    I guess I don't need it that quickly. This is my first build and I do not want to mess it up. I have a Ruger Predator in 22-250 that I do most of my coyote hunting with. That one has a medium varmint barrel on it. That would be fine for me. I have some broken arrow's that I was thinking of putting into the forearm.

Quote Originally Posted by 260 Rem
    If you decide on going with a sporter contour, I have two more 6.5 Creedmoor barrels that have not been spoken for. Delivery will be later this month and at $112 this is a real bargain. You can order at www.gunshack.com.

That looks like a good route to go. What does it mean by "in the white"? I am wanting a stainless steel barrel or even better a matte stainless.

17 rem savage

from my coyote hunting those SS barrels spook more dogs then anything. i got a buddy that hunts yoter competitions with me and we leave the SS barreled rifles at home, makes them willy buggers hold up at 500+ yards alot of the time. took us a few trips to figure out what was really messing us up. even with the sun at your back the coyotes would pick the glare up off the SS. just a thought for u to consider. in the white needs a finish put on it, i paint all mine anymore so no biggy for me. lol

MWalker

Then the SS would be better for me cause I want this rifle for the longer shots :D. That is why I would want a matte stainless. Less glare. I have been lucky I guess cause I do not have any problems killing dogs. Some do hold up out aways but I have had plenty come in 20-150yrds. I am rarely dressed in full camo. Never have a face mask on. Like stated before though my rifle has a matte stainless which I am sure has much less glare than SS. Spotted this one with 2 others at over 700yrds away while driving in the Rhino. We hid the Rhino and walked in 100yrds or so and started calling. They came running in to about 125yrds. If they wouldn't have come up the side of us trying to wind us then could have got more than one but had to change position for the shot.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr90/mwalker1978/2011-07-17070039.jpg[/img]

17 rem savage

nice dog. im building mine for some long range yoter busting also. when im calling for cash i cant afford for one of them little suckers to hold up. lol for fun id do whatever it your rifle so its totally up to u. i like that country your hunting looks like prime dog habitat.

i cant wait to get my 6.5 cm together, its going to be fun. lol

M.O.A.

what about a magnum contour its bigger than the sportier but not by enough to add a lot of weight

the sportier is .565 and weighs 2.10 lbs and the magnum sportier is .675 and weighs 3.3 lbs

MWalker

Quote Originally Posted by 17 rem savage
    nice dog. im building mine for some long range yoter busting also. when im calling for cash i cant afford for one of them little suckers to hold up. lol for fun id do whatever it your rifle so its totally up to u. i like that country your hunting looks like prime dog habitat.

i cant wait to get my 6.5 cm together, its going to be fun. lol
    If I were calling for cash then it would be different. Not even sure they do that around here. I am in So Cal. Most treehuggers around here don't even like hunting. Its hard enough to even find a place to hunt. There are some pockets of land that hold alot of dogs. Of coarse with all the building there are some neighborhoods that do too.
    Quote Originally Posted by M.O.A.
    what about a magnum contour its bigger than the sportier but not by enough to add a lot of weight

the sportier is .565 and weighs 2.10 lbs and the magnum sportier is .675 and weighs 3.3 lbs
    That's the size that I was looking at.

M.O.A.

if you get it fluted its even closer to the sportier and ER Shaw has them for like 250 i think

Tracer

First off I am not a big fan of the 6.5-Creedmore! Now barrels for a tack driver at the bench, I would give Dan Lilja a call or just look up his web sight on the internet. I don't know of any barrel maker who holds more shooting records than Dan does.

If you want a very good shooter for a hunting rifle, that will shoot 1-MOA or perhaps better, then McGowen or Douglas is the route to go. Their quality is much better than any factory barrel period.

Once again, if your looking for a barrel that will let you shoot flies off the barn door at 200 yards, Lilja, Hart or Shillen in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by MWalker
    My question is where should I get my barrel? I assume it should be a prefit barrel? I want to keep it at 24" with a 1-8twist and shoot 140gr A-max or Berger's. I would like a little larger barrel than the sporter. I can just sand down the factory stock to make the larger barrel fit? What size barrel should I go with?
    A question before I get to your questions. Why not use it as a .243? It has more than enough umph for dogs for as far as you can shoot and plenty for antelope for as far as most people should shoot.

1) There are a lot of good barrels you can get, I have NO issues with either of my McGowens. The 6-284 I built for antelope shoots .4-.5" with the first hunting load. I left it at that. Pic below is of the load my .243 Win target action built pistol with a 17" Mcgowen 1:8 twist likes, 3 shots. I can live with it. First trip to the range gave me this load.

[img width=600 height=399]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r52/sigshooter/DSC00785.jpg[/img]

2)Magnum contour is pretty nice

3) Yep, you can sand it out, to an extent. Magnum contour should be just fine

More shooting, less typing.

M.O.A.

you missed the bull by at least an 1.5" ;D ;D ;D nice group but but i would have to say im with op on the 6.5CM i want one real bad but my local gun store has not got one in yet

Quote Originally Posted by M.O.A.
    you missed the bull by at least an 1.5" ;D ;D ;D nice group but but i would have to say im with op on the 6.5CM i want one real bad but my local gun store has not got one in yet
    Yeah, I hear you. I was working up loads so as long as it was on the target I wasn't worried about getting it dead center. I did get it dead center on a clay pigeon at 280 yards today. Took out the center and left ther rest intact. Looked like a orange doughnut. Speaking of doughnuts......

I have nothing against the Credmoor, I pick my LRPH in 6.5 Creedmoor later this week. Brass, dies and 120 grn A-maxxes are waiting. As is a Burris Black Diamond 8x32x50. Was just wondering if there was a reason he didn't want a .243.
    More shooting, less typing.

M.O.A.

might already have one or just like the name or like the looks of the down range ballistics thats whats got it cookin for be that and it a short action ;D

I wasn't a 6.5 Creedmoor fan either until I got one.

I have had a lot of aftermarket barrels from Shilen to PacNor and the Criterion's that Northlander sells are as good as any I ever had.

MWalker

I ended up ordering a Criterion Barrel from Jim at Northlander. Got a 26" light varmint I believe it was. (I forgot already). :D This will be my first time trying to build a rifle and wanted something different but something that should be easy to work with as far as reloading. I am fairly new to reloading also. I like the ballistics of the Creedmoor and seems it would be easier to reload than a .260AI. I originally planned on selling the .243 barrel as soon as I get it without any rounds in it but may hold on to it now. Selling it would help with the build though.