Thread: changing powder....similar results?

Basic Member

changing powder....similar results?

I have just started with handloading, and just finished my first build as well so I am really green on all of this. I worked up a good load for my new .270 that consisted 54.5 grains of imr4350 with Nosler BT, win brass, and win primers. i have read that imr is temp sensitive, and was wondering if I changed to another powder, but kept pretty much everything else the same, should I be able to achieve similar results group wise. I was able to get 3 shots into .295 with this load.

thanks

Re: changing powder....similar results?

Hi Reloader 17 has the same burn rate as 4350 I have used it often in my 270 with great success even though I am a Hogdon fan, the same goes for they 25-06 as well as the tried and true 30-06.
    Thanks Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

From my experience if you and your rifle can shoot tiny groups like that, then don't worry you'll be able to switch powder's and find another good load that is very similar. Just remember to work up from min. charge. Best luck and keep us posted. Dan
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member

thanks for the tips....and Reloader 17 is not temp sensitive?

robert d

RL17 will give good accuate loads and higher vel. but it is temp sensitive if your shooting on top end at 60 deg. then shoot at 85 or 90 you'll probably come away with stuck bolt at least opened pri poc, and even lower vel. just what I experienced with it. I haven't found a powder yet thats not temp sensative something to be aware of.

Basic Member

the loads I have just worked up for the .270 are using nosler BT on 54.5grains of imr4350. The last couple of times I have shot it has been 98 degrees and really humid, but no sticky bolt or primer stress. When the weather is in the 20's or teens this winter, should I experience any different poi or velocity changes?

You could very well see a drop in velocity. Only way to know for sure is to fire the loads in the conditions you'll be hunting in and make sight corrections if needed. A velocity loss of 50 to 100 fps or so will not be noticed by the deer.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67