Thread: Action Screws

harro

Action Screws

G'day

Could someone tell me what the thread size is for the action screws on Stevens 200 actions???
    I have a .223 and have just ordered a Boyds stock for it.It says on their Web site that the action screws from the old plastic stock will not fit and I will need to order some from Savage that are designed for their wooden stocks.
    I live in Australia and ordering anything from overseas is a pain in the you know what.
    I'm sure I must be able to track down some screws here but I need to know what size to look for , both lenght and thread size.

Thankyou for your time.

harro

Re: Action Screws

1/4-28 I do believe
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Correct!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Yup. The thread is 1/4-28. As for the length, that will vary depending on the stock. Yours may work but could be a little long and need trimmed. Or they may be too short as well, in which case you will need longer ones.

If you have any hardware stores near you they may have some there that you can buy, then cut to length for your needs.

You can also order factory action screws from Midway, Brownells, Numrich, Sharpshooter Supply, Stockade Gunstocks, and of course Savage. Not sure if any will ship out of country, but may be worth a look.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

If you have any hardware stores near you they may have some there that you can buy, then cut to length for your needs.
    This is the quickest way! I perfer the factory screws, but I have gone to the hardware store and cut them! Works great!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

gotcha

Harro, If you can get past the metric, whitworth, SAE thing locally, next chk tensile strength. Some screws can be pretty stretchy.

And soft too. I twisted the head off a factory screw. Replaced it with a better one from True Value Hardware, no more problems (and I bought a few extras in 1 1/4" length and 1 inch).

M.O.A.

im sorry but if you stretching or breaking the action screws you over tightening thew by a lot :'(

jonsrm125k5

Personnaly I use higher grade (dont know what it was, but went to a fastenal store and got the strongest I could) allen screws and then inlet them. I like to tighten them on my 7mm RM because of the recoil, and the first time I tries i bought the screws that fit and didn't check them for the grade. Lo and behold, after a shooting I found out that they seized. After a very fun time with an easy out, I went and bought higher grade (dont know what grade, I dont have the box anymore). But yes they are 1/4x28, but if you have a gunsmith (dont know if they have them there like here), you could get it retapped to a metric and maybe it would be easier? Dont know but might give it a try.

Arn't the spec's between 30 in lbs and 60 in lbs on actions screws?

When I am tuning a barrel, I start off at 30, but never go over 60 :-\

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Arn't the spec's between 30 ft lbs and 60 ft lbs on actions screws?

When I am tuning a barrel, I start off at 30, but never go over 60 :-\
    You meant inch lbs didn't you?

Thanks JW, I changed it!

gotcha

Arn't the spec's between 30 in lbs and 60 in lbs on actions screws? That would be correct on an UN-bedded action. May have no effect at all on well bedded action. But then again, COULD have an effect, so why not try? Work up your best load 1st or you'll be chasin' your tail.

Not overtightening, faulty screw with weak area just under the head at the shaft. Very little pressure was on it when it failed. It separated clean like it was cut with a Dremel. Shaft and head had a small void like a poor casting.

harro

'G'day

Thanks for the reply's everyone .I have found a nearby shop that has some instock.I bought a selection of lenghts and will now wait for the stock to arrive.While I was there the guy said he can get them in stainless steel if I want so I might get some of those when I know what lenght I need.

Thankyou for your time

harro

jonsrm125k5

Good idea on the stainless... more money going to be spent on my stevens when I get that stainless barrel on it...lol