Thread: set up

buckskins

set up

Kinda new to predator hunting. Have shot a few but mostly by accident. Have a question. I have use of some property in the catskills of NY. Mostly all hardwoods with a couple of fields and a lot of coyotes. The woods are ribboned with logging roads and quad trails. After the field have been hunted its all woods. Do coyotes (and fox for that matter) tend to use the roads instead of coming through the brush when being called? Welcome all input. I know with turkey hunting, it's not so much your calling ability but the set up that counts.

COplains
    This is probably not much help since I hunt the wide open plains mostly but, my in-laws have some property up in the hills. I have not used the call there, just walk it at dawn and dusk. The 'yotes seem to have no issue with trotting along the roads while the grey fox will stick to the edges of the woods along any clearings. There aren't a lot of dirt track around since it is all private, but I see the coyotes all the time just cruising along the road. kb

The path of least resistance. I would look for scat, especially in intersections of trails. They act like boundaries it seems.

GTOHunter
    Coyotes and other Predators will use the path of least resistance and travel logging roads,path ways and trails but when being Hunted or being called in they are going to use extreme caution,circle and come in from down-wind or use thick cover and low lying areas to slip in and see what's making the distress sounds.There will be times when a Coyote will also do the unexpected and come running in from where You least expect it?

The more You educate a Coyote the more wary and cautious they become....each time out is a learning experience for You the Hunter and the Coyotes! :D

buckskins
    All good advice. I guess the idea is to stay awake and check in all directions regardless of terrain. Special attention to down wind. Thanks

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.