Thread: Electric calls

kskinner7

Electric calls

I was wondering how many of you use electric calls and how many use hand calls or both? Looking to get into varmint hunting and was wondering if the fox pros are worth the money or should I use hand calls? Not trying to start a debate just what some info.

jonsrm125k5

Re: Electric calls

Personally I use a mouth call. Im from Nevada and the coyotes must be from area 51, cuz they are pretty smart when it comes to electronics. During spring and summer I keep moving and will stop at every good vantage point for 5 min. But I keep sneaking around. During winter I use a combo of both because I don't want a cat sneaking up on me, I want him sneaking up 20 feet away to my electronic call (long story short, I had one sneak up and land on my rifle, and had to use a handgun as he tried to run away). Coyotes are also breeding later in the year so they are easier to fool. You have to change it up with a mouth call. I also like to download different calls (its still a rabbit, just a slightly different squeal) that I can hook up to a speaker so they don't think that I am there. I would just start with a mouth call and as you progressively get better at hunting predators, I would then use electronics. You arent going to get anywhere in one day. Biggest thing is to pay attention to details and you will master it pretty quickly.

Up here in the basin, it seems to depend on how hungry they are, or the moon, or some other unknown voodoo.
    Sometimes we've had AMAZING results, and other times they completely ignore us.
    That being said, mouse squeeks, and rabbit squeels with mouth calls have always been the most consistent for us.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

29va

I use a Foxpro Spitfire and hand calls. If the wind isnt exactly right where i want to set up, the electronic call gives me plenty of play room. At night i use the e-call almost all the time!! Can never have enough tools, just dont know what will work from day to day!

I also use a spitfire with mouth calls. I really like the spitfire. It is loud enough for me and seems durable. The only downfall is it does no have rechargeable batteries.

kskinner7

Thanks guys. What brand and sound of calls would you recommend? There are so many it's kind of mind blowing. We don't have jack rabbits here so I'm thinking cotton tail but is there a certain brand that is better than others as far as ease of use etc?

jonsrm125k5

Just find one and try it out. As long as it doesnt have any static it doesnt matter. Make sure you have a broad spectrum of calls. Coyotes have very keen ears, noses and eyes. Get a bird feather (the bigger the better) and tie it up to a brush with fishing line. Also, remember there breeding season, and when they have pups. All of this is important to research before you hunt them. This comes from personal experience. I have used an ipod with different sounds from different sites. All of them work. Its more about how you use it (kind of like a rifle), and how dumb the 'yotes are.

Basic Member

I bought the Fox Pro Spitfire last fall and couldn't be happier with it for the $$$. There are better callers, but not for $200. The included 24 calls are more than enough for me, but if you buy it from APC they will load it with 24 calls of your choice.
    I also just got the Black Jack decoy for $50. What a deal! I can control it through the Spitfire with the Aux button. If you order it through APC, they include the patch cable for free.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    I use both. i had an older wildlife technologies the best caller i have had. i now have a foxpro hellfire so far i like it but the remote isnt as good as the wt!
    for hand calls i like open reed a lot.
    you can use any call you want if they like it they will come!! always watch down wind...
    mix it up one stand use hand calls the next i use electronic call
    good luck!
    the best thing of all i just noticed the last time sombody posted on this!! lol oh well!!
    Last edited by desertdog; 01-12-2014 at 09:57 PM.

Basic Member
    I use the $5 rooster tied to a piece of plate metal. works like a charm

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I use the $5 rooster tied to a piece of plate metal. works like a charm
    I like the rooster idea!

Basic Member
    They get to squawking and flapping... I call them the dinner bells

bugholes
    I'm using a Foxpro Fury. Around here,it seems like the rabbit distress and the mouse/rodent squeaks work the best.

cranebird
    A Haydels Government hunter cottontail call is a closed reed call, very easy to use, plus it has a rodent call in the other end of it.
    Last edited by cranebird; 01-16-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Basic Member
    I'm using a FoxPro Fury. It's fox country where I live so, it's different than hunting coyotes.

I have a couple hand calls I use from time to time but nothing seems to work as well as FoxPro's Luckybird for me.

Damol
    Where I live there are more FoxPros in the woods than fox.

Basic Member
    lol!! sitting thinking the same thing!! good thing for hand calls.