Thread: Beta Chrony Chronograph

Beta Chrony Chronograph

Anyone else have problems with this brand? I bought the Beta Chrony last year when my 14 year old Pact PC2 went belly up and would no longer give a reading. Parts were no longer available for it so I elected to go cheap and got the Chrony.

All seemed well until yesterday when I started getting wild swings in velocity readings yet the 204R loads were grouping well. I go out of my way to insure I'm centered over the sensors and set the screens about 12 feet from the muzzle. I was getting variations in velocity of more than 225 fps. It was cloudy but, I followed the manual directions and did not use the diffusers. Up until yesterday, my readings have been, for the most part, fine if I install a fresh battery. A battery change did not help this time.
    I've lost all confidence in Chrony products and ordered a Pact Professional XP, something I should have done from the start.

Tom
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

nsaqam

Re: Beta Chrony Chronograph

I've found the SC models (I had the Beta) to be overly sensitive to lighting conditions. I began using the diffusers all the time no matter the lighting conditions and while that helped I still got too many error messages. The accuracy of the SC Beta I had was always good when I got a reading though.

I've never used the Pact models but I've found that the ProChrono Digital is a very good, reliable instrument. Much more reliable than the SC was.

Agreed, my reading were always accurate intil it went crazy yesterday. Every round I fired had wild swings in the velocity. One shot, it was showing 3760 for a 30 grain Berger, then the velocity jumped to 3900,another shot (same charge) showed over 4000 fps. This is all happening with a charge just above a recommended starting load from Walt Berger. I weigh all my charges after insuring my scale is still weighing properly using check weights. My brass is fully prepped, trimmed and loads are assembled on Forster comp dies. My loaded round runout is between .001 and .002. The Beta Chrony has been great up until yesterday.

Basic Member

remember to make sure it is unfolded all the way or it will give really wild readings.

Gary

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I have the base model chrony. I have found on the small caliber stuff, say .243 diameter and smaller, you have to send the bullet over the center of the eye, but also, you have to shoot close to the eye vertically. I think they say in the destructions to shoot so that you are aiming vertically in a line with the brass slip joint in the rods. I've found that on small caliber stuff, that that is too high above the optical eye for a reliable reading. On the larger caliber stuff, say .257 diameter and bigger, it doesn't seem to bother it to shoot it as high as they say to.

Try aiming your shot lower in the "window" (for lack of better words?) and see if the readings are more consistent.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Quote Originally Posted by earl39
    remember to make sure it is unfolded all the way or it will give really wild readings.

Gary

Yup, I always check for that when I&#39;m attaching it to the tri-pod.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
    I have the base model chrony. I have found on the small caliber stuff, say .243 diameter and smaller, you have to send the bullet over the center of the eye, but also, you have to shoot close to the eye vertically. I think they say in the destructions to shoot so that you are aiming vertically in a line with the brass slip joint in the rods. I&#39;ve found that on small caliber stuff, that that is too high above the optical eye for a reliable reading. On the larger caliber stuff, say .257 diameter and bigger, it doesn&#39;t seem to bother it to shoot it as high as they say to.

Try aiming your shot lower in the "window" (for lack of better words?) and see if the readings are more consistent.
    I shoot as close as I dare to the unit now. I&#39;m doing nothing different now than I&#39;ve done for months and months when the chronograph functioned fine. I take great care to insure I am lined up with the sensors and have the unit far enough from the muzzle that blast is not an issue screwing up the readings.

Huh,

Well then I would say that if there&#39;s not any dirt, crud, or such on the sensors, that it&#39;s "broke".

;D

I know, I&#39;m so helpful.

Send that puppy back and they&#39;ll either fix it or replace it.

You could always send a bullet through the face of it first. When it comes back, it&#39;ll have all new internals.

;D ;D

No, I haven&#39;t done that, (YET-hopefully never).
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

I&#39;m very careful with the phone jack plug and keep it out of the dirt/grass. Yeah, I thought about putting a round through the POS. Prior to the unit acting up, I had one of the diffusers break so contacted the company about a replacement. Got a reply back that I would have to buy a whole new set, they didn&#39;t sell just the pieces. I glued the broken one instead of spending $10 for pieces I didn&#39;t need.
    My PACT gave me good service for more than 14 years before it went belly up, the sensors no longer giving a reading. The PC2 was so old, they no longer had parts in stock to repair one. This Beta Chrony on the other hand starts going down in flames in a little over a year. I think I made the best decision by ordering the Pact Professional. I no longer have confidence in Chrony products. I will send the Chrony back if I don&#39;t get another runaround from customer service.