First post is a question.
I have my Grandfathers 99, it saw very little ammo over the years "because bullets cost too much". LOL
It is a beautiful rifle with the 1/2 octagon barrel and a schnable fore end, but it seems to have a Headspace problem. I have only fired a few rounds through it and they all have shown set back primers. The lever seems to lock, but when you close the action and look at where the front of the bolt locks into the receiver, it appears as if there is a bit of a gap.
As it has the 1/2 octagon barrel, it would seem to me that a simple fix by trimming the face and setting back the threads would not be practical.
I was wondering, could the back of the bolt mecanism be worn down? If so would a small amount of tig welding and hand fitting alleviate the head space issue?

The rifle appears to only have a 5 digit serial #937xx, In some reading that I have done most mention 6 and 7 digit #s.

It is also fitted with an odd small tube (3/4") Weaver 1.5 power scope, which mounts to the tang with a base that is the same dimensions as the tang, the front mount dovetails into the rear sight slot, and the scope tube is a two piece affair that slides in and out to adjust for the overall length for mounting. I believe this used to be refered to as a "Stith" scope?

Any ideas about the age and how to cure the head space problem would be appreciated.
Thank-you in advance.
*Just looking at the rifle again after reading a few posts. It does say Model 1899 on it, but there is NO caliber on it anywhere. I saw my G.D. and my Dad both shoot 30-30 through it, so it is definatley a 308 bore, but with the way it is popping primers, perhaps this is a 300 Savage?