Thread: Adding weight

Basic Member

Adding weight

Just got my new barreled action and duramaxx stock bedded together. With the added weight of the new barrel, it is extremely front heavy. Ever added weight to a Duramaxx.

82boy

Re: Adding weight

The duramax has a hollow cavity behind the recoil pad, I placed three 2lbs ingots of lead in that hole, and filled it with epoxy, worked great.

I haven't added weight to a Duramaxx but I did modify a factory 110 stock on my 7mm Mag. The recoil from the bench was more than I cared for. I tried a walnut stock with a better recoil pad but it still was a bit uncomfortable to shoot. I looked closely at the factory tupperware and decided to modify it. I dug out the expandable foam in the butt and filled that with sand. I filled the voids in the forearm 3/4 full of sand and capped that with a layer of Devcon to hold it in place. I also added a pad at the front of the barrel channel to put a bit of up pressure on the light factory barrel and I recrowned it. The sand added enough weight to tame the recoil from the bench. I shot 12 rounds benchrest with no shoulder problems and the rifle can now shoot 1" groups. I believe with more load development, I can tighten the groups even more. Overall, it was a solution that worked for me.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

I added a bunch to a Remington stock by mixing lead shot in devcon and filling a void in the buttstock. Fits perfect and you can tap or vibrate to settle it in evenly.