Thread: .222 savage

Basic Member

.222 savage

Will .222 ammo chamber and eject through a 10 model savage .223 magizine (repeater) without feeding problems. Same bolt head dimensions. Never got the .221 fb to do quite right.

stevec

Re: .222 savage

I went through the same thing, Started with the 221 fb and got tired of the ejection problem so I rechambered to .222. It ejected properly most of the time, but somtimes it didnt want to feed with the long neck. The bullet would hit the back of the barrel before the shoulder woult hit the front of the mag to push the case up. I didnt mess with it much, but i think you could get it to work pretty reliably. I could make mine work by seating the bullets deeper, but it shot best touching the lands.

Steve

leather5to1

I have one a stagger feed, does fine with the 222. Took a 223 barrel off and put a 222 on and didn't change anything else. So far its in the running for most accurate rifle I have also.

there so close the gun should not know the difference.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Pharmboy

I'm trying to get my .221 fireball barrel rechambered to the .222 Remington as well. Sinman said I shouldn't have any issues with feeding or ejection. The Fireball is a pain in the rear end to eject even if you try the things Sharpshooter suggests.

Pharmboy

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pharmboy
    I'm trying to get my .221 fireball barrel rechambered to the .222 Remington as well. Sinman said I shouldn't have any issues with feeding or ejection. The Fireball is a pain in the rear end to eject even if you try the things Sharpshooter suggests.

Pharmboy
    Gave up with the savage and .221fb case and went with a Sinarms CZ 527 switch barrel. No problems now. Have been looking to the .222 case maybe a 6 X 47 on a savage action.