Thread: First 200yard F class results.(UPDATE)

First 200yard F class results.(UPDATE)

Well, I guess it went alright for first time I have never shot that many bullets at one time and barrel was hot plus I was nervous and a little shaky but I'll get better. I shot a 92-6x and 87-3x. Met some really good people that were very helpful. Saw a lot of really nice Savage's too. I had to throw those 168 gr Amax's together quickly the night before, had to pull some bullets from another recipe that resulted in a little uneven neck tension. Some of the cases had 5 firings and some had 2 but I lost track. I need to get a new bag of brass and keep track of it better and things will be more consistant. Dan
    There really is an excuse for everything!

JCalhoun

Re: First 200yard F class results.

Sounds like you had a good time.

I have been impressed so far with the Nosler brass in my .260AI. Kinda pricey but nice stuff.

Those Nosler case's look really tempting, my neighbor has a few boxes of them and he said I could have one for $50. But I'll have to wait a bit, me being 34 with 5 girls at home the wife would hit me on top of the head with a frying pan. I told him about these matches at Springwater and Odessa and he is going with me to the next Springwater match. He is younger than me and has some real talent in reloading and shooting. I saw some targets that he shot with his Mauser that you could cover with a dime. Saw some targets he shot with his AR30 that were one hole with IMR 4064 41 grain's all the way up to 44 grain's one hole, well probably in the 3's these were at 100 yard's but the guy has talent and it is time to unleash it. I'll post a picture of my target's later so you guys can educate me. One thing I'm doing is I borrowed my neighbor's flash hole deburer for deburring my case's, and I cycled all my empty cases from the match in the chamber of my rifle and sorted out the ones that the bolt was closing hard on. I will stock pile these stretched case's in a separate box and when I get to about 60 I will anneal them and bump the shoulder's back does this sound like a plan?

[img width=600 height=450]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/243Wilson/F-Class001.jpg[/img]

I met STP from the Hide and he was very helpful and took a lot of time to show me the ropes and he is a Savage fan too and he had some Savage parts that I wish I had extra money for.

JCalhoun

Yeap. Sounds like a plan to me.

You may want to mark the case heads with a Sharpie or do something so you'll know which cases are the ones you have annealed and bumped back.

Eric in NC

A sharpie works, but I put a tiny notch in the rim with a triangular file - can keep track of number of anealings that way (have some BP cases that have been annealed a bunch of times!).

Eric in NC, does anealing seem to give you a more consistent neck tension? I tell ya I have been struggling to get seating depth the same. I'm shooting a 10FP in .308 with 168gr. A-maxes I've been trying to get a coal of 2.829.5 which would put the bullet just snug to the lands, but say one would measure 2.831 after seating and I would try to seat it in a little farther with just a little more pressure and it might pop down to 2.827. I think that is why my groups opened up so much that day at the match. Right now I don't have a orgive atachment for my caliper's, so for now I'm measuring coal when seating.

Eric in NC

Not that I have noticed as far as neck tension, but I do most of my annealing on BP cartridges (50-70, 40-72, etc.) where I either use a crimp or don't care if there is any neck tension at all.

If you are measuring overall length, you are measuring the variability of bullet length (which varries quite a bit even in high quality bullets) and your seating die can have a big influence on how good a repeatability you get.

Re: First 200yard F class results. (Update)

Well I shot in 5 Matches so far and I have 2 more left for the year. My first match and target I originally posted about was shot off a bench, after that match and ever since I converted to the F/TR tactical matches. These are shot prone with a bi pod at almost 200 yards at Springwater and 240 yards at Odessa. These targets are scaled down in size to match the yardage.

It has been a lot of fun and sometimes a little fustrating but I am definetly hooked. My last match at Springwater was my best score so far at 187 16x.

I've found that getting straight behind the rifle and placing the butt of the rifle on my collar bone seems to be the most consistant for me. I know these targets are not great but I have a new hobby now and I can only get better.

My best for 2012, a 199 33x at 185 yards.

acemisser
    thats darn good Dan.Was that is stillwater? I am going to try to get there a few times this summer..What time do they start?

Yeah that was at Springwater, match's start in April and begin at 9 O'clock, of course you want to be a little early. They have 16 solid concrete benches all under cover, some guys bring there own stool but there is metal folding chairs at every bench. Rules are the same as Odessa.

3 and 1/2 years progress in F-Class

My shooting has improved a lot in the past year and 1/2 now I'm 190's and better. Today at Clyde Savanna N.Y. I shot a 197-22x at 300 yards. My mentor won with a 200-24x! I'm still shooting .308 and he was using his 6br. I'm proud to say that my Savage that I do all my own work on can deliver such great results.\

First relay

Second relay

Last edited by DanSavage; 06-29-2014 at 11:33 AM.

On my last 10 shot string, I was down to five rounds left to fire,,, the wind calmed down to basically nothing and I rattled off the last five as fast as I could (just over 1 min.) and got a tight cluster right inside the X.

Also here is my first sighter target 2 shots a 300 yards clean cold bore.

cranebird

Looking forward to Saturday, maybe we can get acemisser to buy us a cup of coffee ?

Ahh! nice picture Cranebird,, it looks like I have pretty good cheek weld, I can't wait till Sat. either. Yeah ace should buy us coffee and doughnuts.LOL If you wouldn't mind taking some more pic.s when I'm on the line from different angles and stuff that would be cool, there should be a big turn out on Sat.

acemisser
    no coffee for you 2 guys...no do nuts either......had a good time today at the match.
    was disapointed in the turn out though.Last year we had 27 shooters..Oh well...I
    suppose they heard you was coming and backed out...lmao

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    On my last 10 shot string, I was down to five rounds left to fire,,, the wind calmed down to basically nothing and I rattled off the last five as fast as I could (just over 1 min.) and got a tight cluster right inside the X.

Also here is my first sighter target 2 shots a 300 yards clean cold bore.

pencil holes, right Dan.......

Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    pencil holes, right Dan.......
    No,,,, that's how I always shoot when things are tight,, today when I got home I found loose ring's, loose base and loose action screws. That's how you must have beat me.LOL

I had a good time too, and Ivan was right on my heals, not bad at all for his first F/TR match, He placed right after me. I shot a 191, it basically took me 4 years to get into the 190's and I've manage to shoot nothing below a 190 this year with my .308, so I'm happy to see improvement's still developing.
    I'll probably never be completely satisfied until I get to Tony's level.LOL But it's what we like to do and it's a lot of fun.

Still can't believe your primers and the good results you got,, Scope Eye Junior,, push them hard and fast!

cranebird

Lol.You two are great people. I'm glad I had the chance to meet you both.I said to John, you didn't tell me you were acemisser off from the savage shooters site.John's reply was you didn't ask..... What fun this F Class stuff is although I was thinking I was a better shot than it appeared on paper at 250 yards. It goes to show you that randomly poking bullets at a 100 yards is easy peasy lemon squeezy.....Dan, Thank you so much for everything you've done. I might ride up to the springwater shoot today but I haven't made up my mind yet.That was good yardbird but too much food,I was ready for a nap when I got home.LOL. John, if you keep shooting like that and I will add fertilizer to your lawn a couple days prior so your better half will make you stay home and mow the lawn instead....
    Ivan

acemisser
    got the lawn mowed this morning befor the rain came....Glad you had a chance to shoot
    with Dan the man..He really is a good guy....But you have to be careful with what he
    tells ya..lmao...No really he is a pro shooter.....or is that bull shooter....Now the bi pods
    can come off....yipeiiiiiiiiiiii

Well guys, I shot at Springwater today with the front rest and shot a 196-22X, thing is I ran out of the 168 Sierra bullets from the Dark Eagle match, but I have 1000 168 NoslerCC and I used everything the same except 2 10ths less powder and the new Nosler bullet,it shot to the same point of aim. Yes I am a bull shooter,, that's were the bullets go ,, in the bull.LOL
    Tony shot today also, I'll post the scores on Sniper's Hide when there sent to me, it could be a couple days they said.

Forgot to add that I added the stainless trigger guard too last night,, it's a nice piece.

cranebird
    Well guys, I shot at Springwater today with the front rest and shot a 196-22X, thing is I ran out of the 168 Sierra bullets from the Dark Eagle match, but I have 1000 168 NoslerCC and I used everything the same except 2 10ths less powder and the new Nosler bullet,it shot to the same point of aim. Yes I am a bull shooter,, that's were the bullets go ,, in the bull.LOL
    Tony shot today also, I'll post the scores on Sniper's Hide when there sent to me, it could be a couple days they said.

Forgot to add that I added the stainless trigger guard too last night,, it's a nice piece.
    It must be the stainless trigger that did it ! We already knew that you could shoot. I finished up with the mowing this morning, and then the rain came.
    Last edited by cranebird; 07-13-2014 at 03:44 PM.

acemisser

Excellent Dan...I am glad you did well...Something about the bi pod will mess you up if you don't
    use it every time at the range..Guess I will get my Freddy Flintstone rest back out as well....Trying
    to decide which rifle to stick with..They both shoot fair..No doubt the 223 is cheaper to shoot..
    than the 6 mmBR.....told Debi,you ordered chilie and dogs for the first Saturday in August..She said
    ok,but he better **** well eat it.....See you...John