Thread: Savage Edge/Axis Trigger and Krylon Fusion for the stock

ptisd335

Savage Edge/Axis Trigger and Krylon Fusion for the stock

I did a trigger job on my Edge and I got.it down to three pounds well today I tried something and took the spring off of a accutrigger that a gunsmith friend of mine had in a box of junk. I took the spring and cut the coils down and got the trigger to a very crisp 2.5 pounds with no creep. I was surprised that I got it that low. I checked the safety several times just to be safe and all seams to be working properly. Now I am wanting to paint the stock and I know this question has been asked but can anyone tell me about using Krylon Fusion. Dose it work? Dose it last?

ptisd335

Re: Savage Edge/Axis Trigger and Krylon Fusion for the stock

OK I tried the Krylon on my Edge today. The paint went on very well and only took about a hour to dry so I could handle it. I think it turned out pretty good. I am putting it up and going to let it sit for a week or so and give it time to cure. I will post an update as to the finish holds up.

[img width=268 height=450]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6909/savagew.jpg[/img]

JC808

Hey nice job! Did you take pics/video of the process? Clickable pics (or bigger pics) would be nice too.

ptisd335

Ok let's see if I can do this. (1) I took 1500 grit sand paper and very, very lightly scuffed the surface. (2) I then took Paint thinner a small amount and lightly wiped the surface. (3) I used blue painters tape and taped up what I did not want paint on. (4) I applied a Light coat of paint taking my time and trying to keep the paint even. (I put about four coats on the stock) I allowed it to dry for an hour or so and removed tape. The can says for best results let cure for 7 days I think I will be waiting about 14 days just to be safe.

[img width=269 height=450]http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6783/imag0004av.jpg[/img] [img width=269 height=450]http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/8282/savagebefore.jpg[/img]

[img width=269 height=450]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7091/savageafter.jpg[/img] [img width=269 height=450]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/7104/savageo.jpg[/img]

jasta

Nice work. :) :)

miassmaro98

closer shots?

ptisd335

OK the Krylon has set up for a bit so I took it to the Range and so far so good. I will say that the Sand Color Paint shows way to much dirt and finger prints than I like. I am trying something a little different same Paint. I hope to post photos ASAP. Also I will use a better camera than my first post.

Herman

Look for some camo paint. It's ultra flat and won't show prints at all. It's got a rough texture and gives a good grip.

ptisd335

Here is what I did next. Should I clear Coat the stock or just leave it...
    [img width=600 height=173]http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/9168/imag00191.jpg[/img]

[img width=269 height=450]http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9113/imag0021je.jpg[/img] [img width=269 height=450]http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/156/imag0020mr.jpg[/img]

M.O.A.

nice i think i would leave it the clear coat will make it to shinny ;D

ptisd335

Quote Originally Posted by M.O.A.
    nice i think i would leave it the clear coat will make it to shinny ;D
    I think you are right!!!

A matt clear coat will not impart a shine and will add protection to the color coat. I use Krylon matt clear, works great.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

JReed

Clear coat it with matt. put on several coats then rub it down with 0000 steel wool and you wont have any shine.

ptisd335

I have looked every were for mat clear but can't seem to find any I have looked from hardware store to Walmart any ideas on were to find amat clear Krylon fusion

ptisd335

So far so good on paint none has come off yet.

ptisd335

I took out the Savage Edge today i shot 20 rounds so far paint is holding it's own.

Any matt clear coat will work over the Krylon Fusion. About 6 thin coats will work well. I then rub out the finish with 4/0 steel wool.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Kaianuanu

If you want durability, do a coat of clear matte duracoat over it

roadkill46

before you put on a clear coat ( i paint all my rifles so i know a little about this) paint something plastic, like a bucket, tray, gun case whatever, just a portion of it the same brand and color of you base coats. let dry the same amount of time then hit it with your matte and they actually do make a flat clear coat to see if it is compatible. i have had to strip many a stock by putting a different brand matte on at the end of a beautiful camo job only to have it bubble, or crack or wrinkle right off. krylon camo, not the fusion, is some tough stuff and i have found that it will take just about any type of matte. rule of thumb is brand to brand ie rustoleum to rustoleum, krylon to krylon. and about curing time, you were correct when you said the can says 7 days to let it sit longer. that is the key to a good paint job the curing time. i have seen, including myself, guys rush and just wait 24 hours, see that it is dry put it together and go shoot only to find out it has 'melted', smeared or flaked off. bout the only thing that i have found that will take krylon off of a gun and most plastic parts is brake cleaner. i just stripped one last week and that stuff is amazing, but that is about the only cleaner that will damage that paint. just be careful when cleaning it and touch up as needed.

bootarcher

I painted my stock and I first prepped it by Samsung it with some automotive 150 grit sandpaper and then rubbed it down with some mineral spirits to take any oils and dirt off. I than taped everything off with blue painters tape, take your time here it will pay off in the end and use a really sharp razor blade to trim the tape. I than used krylon camo spray paint and applied 2 coats and then I used some rustoleum stone paint the kind that leaves the surfaced textured and wow it turned out great but you must let it dry and cure. and it will be really durable. I don't know how to post pics or I would. I can e-mail them if anyone wants just send me a e-mail at bootarcher@yahoo.com and I will forward them to you