Thread: Savage 16FCSS Range Report

Basic Member

Savage 16FCSS Range Report

Savage 16FCSS in .223/5.56. Weaver 800360 4-20x50 Mil-Dot Riflescope, Weaver Six Hole Rings, Weaver Multi Slot Base.

Set up involved learning about the new bolt release in front of the trigger guard: with the bolt open, move the trigger as far to the rear as it will go and simultaneously slide the bolt release rearward and hold it there while sliding the bolt out of the action. Mounting the Weaver base involved the discovery that the screws supplied with the base were too long and prevented the bolt from closing. The Savage manual cautions about this. Removal and replacement of the Accustock proved to be simple on this rifle. There is no wedge to deal with. The two action bolts are obscured by the bolt release and by the magazine release.

I cleaned the rifle with MPro7 and lubricated the action and bolt it with a dry Teflon aerosol and the bore with the same stuff applied using a new wool mop. Fired a bunch of 55 grain surplus ammunition (green tip) and did OK. Groups a bit over an inch to about two inches at 100 yards. MPro7'd again, lightly oiled patch through the bore.

Yesterday I removed the stock and reassembled it using an in/lb torque wrench starting at 20 in/lb front action bolt first, then rear action bolt. Then, using 69 gr ammunition as recommended by Savage, fired four rounds. I increased the torque in increments of 10 in/lbs and firing four rounds. No bore cleaning, no cooling time beyond the torquing. Groups became MOA or just sub-MOA at 30 in/lb and I stopped there. The barrel was unpleasantly warm after that. I let it cool and shot five four shot groups. Today I shot another five four shot groups. No additional torquing. Here are the best three of five from each day. The other two weren't much different except for the extended flyer or two which I blame on the jerk behind the trigger. Picking the best three rounds of four fired gets into the half MOA range. The rifle can do it, I'm sure. The scope is terrific.

Each band and the bulls measure exactly .22 inches. The rondels are 1.1 inches in diameter, four shots per group, all at 100 yards.

I also tried some Privi Partisan 69 gr HPBT stuff but the rifle didn't like it as well. It would be good enough for a woodchuck at 100 yards but a field mouse would probably escape.

I plan to get some more Fiocchi and increase the torque in five in/lb increments and see what happens.

The four round magazine easily holds five rounds.

I really like this rifle.
    Last edited by 5Wire; 07-08-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: remove extra characters in img links

Varminteer

Re: Savage 16FCSS Range Report

Handloads are the secret to great accuracy..... ;D

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varminteer
    Handloads are the secret to great accuracy..... ;D
    Not possible for me yet. On the other hand, MOA or less is nothing to spurn out of the box, especially in the hands of a shooter relatively new to precision riflery. My main reservation about the rifle is the combination of Accustock, Accutrigger, detachable box magazine in a stainless steel .223 rifle is not offered with a heavy barrel, the regular barrel heats up quickly.

I'd be curious to see some of your groups. ;D

Basic Member

I have a model 25 in .223 with the sporter barrel and it also heats up pretty quickly. You might try some lighter bullets. Mine really likes 50 grain nosler BT loaded by ultramax, and 40 grain vmax by fiocchi. Both factory loads, and often shoot into 1/2 to 5/8" groups. Mine will not shoot heavier bullets very well at all. I will begin handloading for it soon, but with a pencil barrel and factory ammo, these things are pretty amazing. Good luck....looks like you got a nice one.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by teebirdhyzer
    I have a model 25 in .223 with the sporter barrel and it also heats up pretty quickly. You might try some lighter bullets. Mine really likes 50 grain nosler BT loaded by ultramax, and 40 grain vmax by fiocchi. Both factory loads, and often shoot into 1/2 to 5/8" groups. Mine will not shoot heavier bullets very well at all. I will begin handloading for it soon, but with a pencil barrel and factory ammo, these things are pretty amazing. Good luck....looks like you got a nice one.
    I shot a whole bunch of 55 gr and they were OK and did pretty well at 200 yards, the 69 gr is better and Savage recommends 223 Remington Federal 69 grain Sierra Match King BTHP for the 1:9 twist. I haven't tried the Federal yet and I haven't shot the Fiocchi at 200 yards yet. If I take time for the barrel to cool, the ammo lasts longer.

Basic Member

5 Wire,

Thanks for the set up process. Is checking torque something you do routinely or just part of a dial-in procedure, then it's fire and forget for the season?

Today I picked up a scope for a new Model 16 accu-stock. Unscoped, so far I put 40 rounds of various groups into a dirt pile.

In your Model 16 experience is time to check screws when the scope gets mounted, or, wait until the first groups are measured?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kohler
    ...In your Model 16 experience is time to check screws when the scope gets mounted, or, wait until the first groups are measured?
    I put a couple hundred rounds of 55 grain surplus green tip, then experimented with the Fiocchi and the Privy Partisan, both 69 grain. The Fioccho shot best Maybe 20 rounds each. Then I removed the stock and alternately torqued it down and shot four rounds as described. I measured most of the groups all along.

Basic Member

Thanks for the range report and the method.