Thread: lost my extractor ball

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

lost my extractor ball

need an extractor ball. I knew it would happen sometime, dropped it on the floor. Where can I get one and while I am at it, an extractor. One of mine is a little deformed from the steel go gage.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

r29l20

Re: lost my extractor ball

Sharp shooter supply or Midway. :)

jinx-)

I remember it happen to me once that thing jumped right out, but I searched for it and got lucky.... Try Midway...

Basic Member

It did not fly away when taking apart, I was putting it back together, had it in my hand, and poof, it was gone, rolled out of my grip. I usually keep it over the table or a cloth so it wont roll, but this time I was hurried and not carefull.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

thomae

Try Fastenal (They have stores all around the USA): Instead of replacing the .125" factory ball with one the same size, get a 9/64" (0.140625") steel ball from Fastenal.

Please read this thread to understand why many consider the the larger size detent ball better than stock: http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,23731.0.html

Here's the link to the page with the 9/64" sized steel balls: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...0987677&ucst=t
    The SKU for this part is: 0987677. They are 4.5 cents each. I just called my local store, gave them the SKU and ordered 20 and they will be at the store tomorrow morning with no shipping cost. It seems that one can order as many or as few as necessary.

I am going to post this information "Hot Deals around the Web."
    I don't work for Fastenal, nor do I get any kickbacks. I simply was searching until I found a source for the larger sized extractor detent balls. This post is simply to steer the OP to one possible source for the part he needs.
    All the best,
    Thomae

like2shoot

" Instead of replacing the .125" factory ball with one the same size, get a 9/64" (0.140625") steel ball from Fastenal. " Isn't .140625 less than .125?

like2shoot

Never mind, I never was real good at math. ???

thomae

;D
    +1 to like2shoot.

He could have simply deleted his post, but instead, he admitted that he made a mistake.

That is not often done in today's world.

I think we may have found an honest man!

Cycler

Any bicycle shop will have 1/8" balls and probably give you one for the asking. A 9/64" ball is a (wait for it) odd-ball and will have to be obtained from a specialty shop.

airaddict

ok all, I've read so much about this topic and how this may help with the extraction issues that plague savages.

So, ive gone ahead and ordered 100 of those steel balls from fastenal. If anybody wants one or a couple please send me a PM and ill give my address and you can send a self address and stamped envelope and ill send you a few. They are coming via UPS so i figure i should have them by mid next week. This is my thanks to all that have provided excellent info since ive been on the forum.

please dont request like 20. keep it modest so others can get a few. I dont ask for anything in return. Thanks.

Brian B

Basic Member

You could of went to any farm supply joint/store and got a few 1/4" lynch pins and cut the shanks and pulled the SS balls out of them as they are the right size also.

Basic Member

Thanks for the offer, I ordered a bag of 20 from fastenal yesterday. Thanks
    Larry
    Larry E Kauffman Sr

robert d

.140 is larger than .125 .125=1/8 inch or 8/64 .140=9/64 i do believe.

PawPaw

I didi the same thing this past week and launched a detent ball. Ordered a new extractor, spring, and ball for Savage. $12.00, shipped. Today I started thinking about it and while I was running errands, stopped by a local bearing dealer. He gave me four eighth-inch chromium bearings, wouldn't take any money, told me they were too insignificant to write up. I went home and fixed my rifle in about 10 minutes.

When the Savage parts come in, I'll put them up as spares, along with the extra bearings.