Thread: 116 BSS Laminated stock

mtang45

116 BSS Laminated stock

Does anyone know if the BSS stock for the sporter contour barrel have enough "meat" in the forearm to be opened up to a varmint weight barrel?

Thanks

Re: 116 BSS Laminated stock

This isn't meant to be a sarcastic comment, but what do you think?
    It certainly is possible to do, will you like the "look" of it? Well that is up to you.
    I have opened up a couple wood/laminate stocks, they look fine to me. My brother doesn't like the ratio of barrel to stock, so he thinks they are ugly. Different strokes.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

mtang45

Re: 116 BSS Laminated stock

Quote Originally Posted by darkker
    This isn't meant to be a sarcastic comment, but what do you think?
    It certainly is possible to do, will you like the "look" of it? Well that is up to you.
    I have opened up a couple wood/laminate stocks, they look fine to me. My brother doesn't like the ratio of barrel to stock, so he thinks they are ugly. Different strokes.
    Yeah I guess the question is pretty vague. As long as there is a tooth pick sliver of wood extending forward under the barrel, then technically there is a forearm. So, to further clarify the question...is there enough width to still have a shelf to grip with the left hand, when shouldering the rifle, assuming a traditional grip where the bottom of the forearm rests in the palm of the left hand, and the left hand fingers and thumb are firmly placed on the sides of the forearm. A forearm too small or skinny for a varmint contour barrel would force the shooter to place fingers and thumb on the sides of the barrel when holding the rifle in this manner. I am concerned about function and not necessarily aesthetics.