Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to my stock?

Re: What happened to my stock?

I hear you Mikey. Already there, figured that I would throw it up here too since now he is active in this thread.

I don't want anybody to misunderstand me. I am happy with Stocky's products so far. Quality has been very good and fit required almost no fitting at all. It also seems that if you talk to the right person you can get your problems fixed, so that's all good. I just wish in my case it was easier to get in touch with that right person. Guess we'll see for me.

Sorry didn't mean to hi-hack the thread.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

seanhagerty

Quote Originally Posted by MDM
    First off, I did not mean to sound confrontational towards Stocky's. Stocky's was not the manufacturer in this case so I have no beef with them. No problem with Stocky's what so ever.

I will say this... the crack would have happened with bedding or no bedding because the supplied pillar is way to short to reach the action. The action only rests on the two sides and is about 1/8th of inch above the pillar, bedding or no bedding. So the wedge effect is still present without the bedding.

"If it was ground out, it was to get rid of the crack in the epoxy, no? If there was NO epoxy there it was not bed correctly. If there was epoxy there, the epoxy must have cracked too, no? Wood couldn't have cracked under the glue". Question - How could I put the mag retaining clip in place if there was epoxy in the location you speak of? There was no epoxy in this location and I didn't grind any epoxy out to try to be dishonest and hide something. Please don't insinuate that I did something dishonest. I'll admit I'm no master stock bedder, but I'm not dishonest. I removed the epoxy that ran down the sides so I could put the mag retaining clip in place.

I did not remove any wood in the rear section at all. I just cleaned out the devcon than ran down in the mag retaining clip area. Maybe I was supplied with the wrong pillars. There is absolutely no way the rear pillar suppied is long enough to reach the action, bedding or no bedding. I would have to remove about 1/8 th of an inch of wood along the sides for the action to rest on the pillar, then remove more wood under the mag retaining clip area so the action wouldn't rest on it...that or counter sink the inletting for the rear pillar about 1\8th inch deeper so the pillar would protrude far enough to reach the action. If I did remove enough wood for the action to reach the pillar, then the ejection port would be below the wood line. It would be easy to bed it right on the pillar if the pillar was quite a bit longer. The bedding is not really that thick, I shimmed up the tang with a few pieces of tape. It is quite possible it is a bad bedding job. I've done it this way before, but the stocks had aluminum bedding blocks in them. This stock was fine for about 6 months before the crack devoloped.

Thank you much for your offer. I only wish Keystone had done the same. I already ordered a new Choate tactical from Midway yesterday and can't spend another $100. No worries, I'm over it already.
    Boots,

this is a good attitude. Placing the right thoughts at the right place. Stocky's did the stand up thing. You recognized that. This makes you and Stocky's in the "Good Guys" column.

I have no knowledge on how to repair your orginal stock, but sure wish you well with the Choate.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seanhagerty
    Quote Originally Posted by MDM
    First off, I did not mean to sound confrontational towards Stocky's. Stocky's was not the manufacturer in this case so I have no beef with them. No problem with Stocky's what so ever.

I will say this... the crack would have happened with bedding or no bedding because the supplied pillar is way to short to reach the action. The action only rests on the two sides and is about 1/8th of inch above the pillar, bedding or no bedding. So the wedge effect is still present without the bedding.

"If it was ground out, it was to get rid of the crack in the epoxy, no? If there was NO epoxy there it was not bed correctly. If there was epoxy there, the epoxy must have cracked too, no? Wood couldn't have cracked under the glue". Question - How could I put the mag retaining clip in place if there was epoxy in the location you speak of? There was no epoxy in this location and I didn't grind any epoxy out to try to be dishonest and hide something. Please don't insinuate that I did something dishonest. I'll admit I'm no master stock bedder, but I'm not dishonest. I removed the epoxy that ran down the sides so I could put the mag retaining clip in place.

I did not remove any wood in the rear section at all. I just cleaned out the devcon than ran down in the mag retaining clip area. Maybe I was supplied with the wrong pillars. There is absolutely no way the rear pillar suppied is long enough to reach the action, bedding or no bedding. I would have to remove about 1/8 th of an inch of wood along the sides for the action to rest on the pillar, then remove more wood under the mag retaining clip area so the action wouldn't rest on it...that or counter sink the inletting for the rear pillar about 1\8th inch deeper so the pillar would protrude far enough to reach the action. If I did remove enough wood for the action to reach the pillar, then the ejection port would be below the wood line. It would be easy to bed it right on the pillar if the pillar was quite a bit longer. The bedding is not really that thick, I shimmed up the tang with a few pieces of tape. It is quite possible it is a bad bedding job. I've done it this way before, but the stocks had aluminum bedding blocks in them. This stock was fine for about 6 months before the crack devoloped.

Thank you much for your offer. I only wish Keystone had done the same. I already ordered a new Choate tactical from Midway yesterday and can't spend another $100. No worries, I'm over it already.
    Boots,

this is a good attitude. Placing the right thoughts at the right place. Stocky's did the stand up thing. You recognized that. This makes you and Stocky's in the "Good Guys" column.

I have no knowledge on how to repair your orginal stock, but sure wish you well with the Choate.

Sean
    Sean I think your quoted post here was more for MDM than me. MDM was the member with the broken stock that Stocky's offered to send him another for $100. Me I am still waiting to hear from Stocky's on my issue. My issue much simpler but I can't get anyone to even talk to me about it, I just keep getting told that they will have the right person call me and they never do. Hopefully I will get my issue resolved.

Boots
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Team Savage

Boots: Did you try "both" email addys? Patience and perserverance. ;D
    Maybe they just don't want to talk to you? Hang in there, Mike.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Yup, the stockys@stockys.com one I have had for quite a while. It's not that big of a deal, its more the principle of it. It will happen, I had given up on it and settled to the idea of just never buying from them again, and then they responded to MDM's problem and I thought I would try just one more time.

Edit: just checked my email and Don responded with a new phone number to call to get me straight through. Thanks Don.

Talked with a Customer Service Rep today. She was very helpful in fixing the issue. Come to find out, she said that when they started the 24/7 hotline, it was using an outside company to handle all the customer correspondence and they were supposed to be send emails/messages to Stockys regarding customer service issues so they could call people. I also took it that the outside company was taking the sales orders and sending the orders to stockys.

The Rep informed me that they are no longer using an Outside Company to handle their calls and correspondence anymore due to the fact that the messages/emails were usually wrong or not sent, and the sales orders were not sent correctly and sometimes not even taken correctly.

Since them getting screwed by the "Answering Service" they were using, and that was causing the issues with people, I can understand and I thank them for getting back to me and fixing my problem quickly. I'll give them another shot in the future.

Just thought I'd Share this.

Team Savage

8) 8) 8)
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12