Thread: Aftermarket Stock

hmbleservant

Aftermarket Stock

I am having problems with the accuracy of my rifle and I know it has something to do with the stock. Could be torque of action/stock bolts or a combination of that and the wood stock not fitting properly (it isn't bedded). So I think I want a new stock anyway.

What do you guys/gals suggest for a good value stock for my 110? I'm thinking about getting one with full CNC'd aluminum bed. A close friend has one on his Weatherby and has very good results.

As far as asthetics/ergonomics goes I would prefer a stock that is good for long range prone shooting. I have a harris bipod.

But main thing is that it is affordable. I don't want to pay for much more than accuracy. It doesn't have to be "THE most durable". I'm not going to be jumping out of any choppers.

With all that being said....I don't know much about this so please offer any advice you may have about what works for accuracy, etc.
    PS: What do you all torque your wood stocks (not bedded) to in inch-pounds. I was told 30-35lbs. front and rear... Is that right?

3fingervic

Re: Aftermarket Stock

I don't know that an aluminum bedding block is the end all be all. Many guys, that are better than me and you, on this site use pillars with skim glass bedding or straight up glass bedding. With that said, I would look into Sharp Shooter Supply and Stockade Stocks. With both companies you could get an excellent stock for $350-$450.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

http://www.stockadegunstocks.com/stocks.html

hmbleservant

Been researching...not a lot of options huh? What do yall think about the Bell and Carlson Medalist?

3fingervic

Well, I wouldn't say there aren't a lot of options. Choate, Bell and Carlson, Boyds, Knoxx and H-S precision to name a few. Those along with the two above companies makes seven 7, plus on the pricier end are Manners Stocks and McMillan Stocks. I'm sure there are more than a few here that have an aluminum block also. I would say this list contains 50 different models to decide from.

hmbleservant

I'm not sure about HS Precision, McMillan and Manners because they are out of my price range, but of all the others listed, there aren't any full aluminum bedded stocks other than the Bell and Carlosn that I mentioned that will fit my rifle 110 sporter barrel. And even then that is a sporter/hunter style stock not perfect for prone shooting (although that will work for what I'm willing to pay).

I'm not complaining. I just wanted to clearify what I meant by "not a lot of options". I understand that you get what you pay for...that Bell and Carlson seems like the best bet for me if I go witht the full aluminum bedding. But if the answer to ensured accuracy is to go with the pillars with glass or straight up glass then that is what I want to do.

So what is better Pillar Glass, straight glass, or fully aluminum bedded?

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the help.

Quickshot

I bought a B&C Medalist and put my Mod. 12 in it. It did not fit snug into the aluminum and needed skim bedded because the reciever "rolled" in the aluminum. I don't know if every one fits that way but I had to skim bed mine. Have a Choate with the V block which was a much tighter fit without need to fool with it. Take your pick. Quick

Basic Member

One of the best ways to find what you are looking would be to pay the $12 to become a paid member and go through the classifieds. There is at least one choate tactical la stock in there now. blue

chemist1

I have a B & C Medalist and while it is nice the bedding block does not fit all that well. I think if weight is not an issue and you want a aluminum skeleton in the stock I would look at choate. In my opinion a V-block will hold a round object better than a flat block.

nsaqam

The best stocks rely on good design, quality materials and construction, and precise inletting rather than an aluminum bedding block for strength, stiffness and accuracy.
    Save up and get a McMillan or even a Bansner (High Tech Specialties).

You'll be happy you did and the resale value will be better if you ever decide to sell.