Thread: 338-06AI Data?

Basic Member

338-06AI Data?

Has anybody seen any data for this? All I can find one load showing a 250grn bullet at 2595FPS from a 23" barrel. Up here at 8000' that's good to carry 2000ft/lbs to over 600 yards.

This has my interest peaked for a 22" woods gun that can reach across the meadows and canyons when needed. Sounds sweet to me.

Thanks in advance, and may God bless you all!

Adam
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

358Hammer

Re: 338-06AI Data?

Personably Adam I would use standard 338 X 06 loads and work up from there. That is what I did anyway.

Not knowing what bullet you wish to shoot one can use powders from Rel 15, IMR 4064 on up through H4831 depending how heavy the bullet is.

Personally I use Varget with 180 and 200 grain Accubonds. Varget being somewhat slower than Rel 15 and doesn't seem to build pressure as fast.
    Great cartridge
    Neal

Basic Member

I just looked the standard 338-06, it's really not that far behind in the 250 grn bullets, maybe 100fps. . .

Maybe I need to reconsider. . .
    Romans 10:9 "That if you confess with your mouth, Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."

358Hammer

Great brass by Nosler in the 280AI.
    Depending on quality of barrel maker,
    180 Grain Accubond@ 3000fps isn't a slouch in my book. Sure beats the pants off a 30-06 and has enter the realm of the 300 Win Mag using less powder. Check your Barnes reloading Data for the 338 Scoville. Its more than a AI in powder capacity, but dies from RCBS and reamers are available. Dies for the Gibbs version and headstamped brass is available through Quality Cartridge who also sells brass through different wholesalers for the 30 Gibbs.

Neal

Basic Member

There's something about a 250grn bullet that just makes me grin Hammer. . .

I want a heavy bullet, and while I know a 180 is more than adequate, I like the weight and the Game King runs a BC of .563, not too bad.

Can you fill me in on the Scovill and the Gibbs, case drawings would be great if you have them! Are they based on the 06 case?

I guess that's another consideration for me, cheap cases and ease of finding a reamer would be nice!

Adam

sinman

Don't over look the 35 whelen then

Basic Member

Only problem there is the BC drops way off. . . I should say, a 250grn bullet seems about perfect for what I'm thinking.

358Hammer

I have drawings but just picture the AI case with the shoulder moved forward .200. Change the shoulder angle to 35 degrees for a better funnel of the gases. In other words the case neck is roughly .250 in length.
    The Scoville is between the AI and the Gibbs. I have a reamer for my own version of the Gibbs.

For a simple many have wildcat I would recommend the 338WSM for an appreciable gain over the 338X06 AI.
    As my moniker/handle indicates, I did the 35 caliber for years. Then Nosler came out with a quality 180-200-225 Accubond in 338. SInman is right regarding the 35 Whelan as you are right regarding BC. SInce I hunt exclusively with handguns I chose the 338 because of the toughness and accuracy of the Accubond. That and I can feel comfortable shooting a 200 grain bullet amazingly fast out to 600 yards without a rainbow trajectory.

Cartridges of the world have prints as does Barnes in the latest reloading book.

Neal

phantom

I have had a 338-06 Improved with a 35* shoulder for years, Love it. When I built it there wern't too many 338-06's that I know of that were improved, Ackley had one with a 40* but it was just another Ackley . . good but I wanted something different. I used it to shoot several deer and a Bear with, puts them down quickly. I have a reamer for it, and it HS on a standard 06' reamer. I will lend it out if you would like to give it a try. I have a hard time posting pictures to this link other wise I would send a picture of the cartridge. I really built the rifle to shoot cast bullets with, but it shoots the 180 gr. Honady Ballistic Tips into one hole. Some of the other bullets that I have shot did very well also, but right after I put it together I bought another rifle and kind of left this one on the rack, but I won't get rid of it.

Phantom

Basic Member

I think maybe I'll start with the standard 338-06, and go from there. I've never worked with a wildcat, so I'm a bit shy to dive off into that. The fact that Midway has Barrels in stock and dies should be easy to get, as well as an abundance of data also lends to this decision.

I can see a 338 wilcat in my future though, and it seems that some of you fellas have reamers and that dies are available for some of them.

Thanks for all the help and input fellas!

Adam

Team Savage

My opinion is, skip the AI for now and shoot 210 or 225 gr barnes tipped bullets.

Devistating on game. AI is not going to get you much more in killing power or fps
    over either of those bullets.

If you really want to dial it up, build a 338/375 ruger, or better yet just a straight 375 ruger.

Awsome cartridge with the 270 gr barnes TSX.
    Very accurate and at 2750-2800 fps will basically stop anything on the planet
    and the recoil is very manageable.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 358Hammer
    I have drawings but just picture the AI case with the shoulder moved forward .200. Change the shoulder angle to 35 degrees for a better funnel of the gases. In other words the case neck is roughly .250 in length.
    The Scoville is between the AI and the Gibbs. I have a reamer for my own version of the Gibbs.

For a simple many have wildcat I would recommend the 338WSM for an appreciable gain over the 338X06 AI.
    As my moniker/handle indicates, I did the 35 caliber for years. Then Nosler came out with a quality 180-200-225 Accubond in 338. SInman is right regarding the 35 Whelan as you are right regarding BC. SInce I hunt exclusively with handguns I chose the 338 because of the toughness and accuracy of the Accubond. That and I can feel comfortable shooting a 200 grain bullet amazingly fast out to 600 yards without a rainbow trajectory.

Cartridges of the world have prints as does Barnes in the latest reloading book.

Neal

Neal,

Do you have any velocity data from the 338WSM you mentioned with a 250grn bullet?