Thread: fluting a button rifled barrel?

rocksteady

fluting a button rifled barrel?

i would like to know if anyone has fluted their button rifled barrel? i purchased a match barrel from shillen, and when i asked them to flute the barrel, they told me they dont offer that on their barrels, i asked why, and they told me that it it has the potential to harm the barrels accuracy due to the type off rifling procedure they use. is this just theory or is it proven?

leather5to1

Re: fluting a button rifled barrel?

I don't disagree with it and if shilen voids their warranty then it is good enough for me not to do it. I don't see the need for fluting, if you want a lighter gun buy a lighter contour barrel. The guns that need to be light are never the guns that shoot groups off the bench all day, they are working and hunting rifles that get carried far more than shot. So a slight loss through a less stiff barrel won't be as noticeable.

VjjR

Re: fluting a button rifled barrel?

Criterion does... But they are perfecting a new fluting process, maybe because their old way was harmful to the accuracy of the barrel. There is other manufacturers that flute their button rifled barrels as well. There is a lot of theorys and proven facts when it comes to fluting, but every barrel is different. some will perform well fluted some wont. Shilen won't and it will void their warranty if you have someone else do it, probably because their fluting process they tried was too invasive and it harmed the barrel or something? There is plenty of high quality blank manufacturers that flute, (shilen is the only one i found that won't) and they are willing to put their stamp on a fluted barrel. I don't shoot as often as probably anybody here but i hunt, and for what i do, light contours and flutes work for me.