Thread: target action modifications for dbm?

rocksteady

target action modifications for dbm?

i was woundering if it was at all possible to machine out the action to accept the new dbm's .

Re: target action modifications for dbm?

Anything is possible if you have enough money. Not being a smart a$$, just saying.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

RoyRP

agreed it would be possible but it would probably cost more than the cost of an action that was already setup for dbm.

rocksteady

just wondering,....isnt it just a hole cut out of the bottom? and obviously the bottom metal and mag.

airaddict

doesnt savage already have a model 12 LRPV (the target action) thats a repeater instead of single shot? They list one with a DBM on their website thats RP/RB and i think Northland sells the action alone for about $440 or so, cant remember the exact price. Then you wont have to mill it out. But they are large shank i believe. check it out.

brian b

rocksteady

i looked at the lrp action but i already have a target action....and was hoping i could just do a little machining and purchase the dbm setup. or maybe i can post for a trade.

airaddict

oh.....gotcha.....im sure u would have no problem selling it on the forums here and turn around and buy the repeater target action from northland with the proceeds. it would prob work out better than machining it.

or maybe northland will give u trade in value towards a repeater target action. he did sell out of his single shot actions so i dont think he would have a prob selling it to some savage hungry guy... :)

shoot him an email. doesnt hurt to ask.

brian b

rocksteady

yeah ok thanks.....i will give it a go and see what happens.

Basic Member

I took it one step further and made an LARPV- LRPV that takes std AR15 mags. I really can't understand why anyone would mess with anything except the AR10/15/AK mags, they're cheap, and they work.

20 Practical.

30 rd shown.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/GrocMax/LARPV/

Quote Originally Posted by airaddict
    doesnt savage already have a model 12 LRPV (the target action) thats a repeater instead of single shot? They list one with a DBM on their website thats RP/RB and i think Northland sells the action alone for about $440 or so, cant remember the exact price. Then you wont have to mill it out. But they are large shank i believe. check it out.

brian b

airaddict

very nice scott!!

ive seen another user post pics of a 45ACP savage bolt project but he was still trying to figure out how to use magazines. his posting said he just used a single loading sled to load one at a time. I considered something like that but your mag system is pretty cool. now that the cats out of the bag, get ready for lots of PM's asking how you did it cuz you know others are gonna wanna modify their rifles to so they can get 30+ rounds of fury on the PD's in their area....lol.

Brian

Basic Member

For some reason I can't start a new post, only quote reply. Pretty simple, it doesn't need to be perfectly square or anything, used a 0 MOA Farrell base for mill setup, machined the stock and the first 1/8" of the action together for a snug fit to the mags, finished the action on the same setup to get the bolt head to case rim distance right, added feed ramps. Mag butts up against the bottom of the receiver machining and latch will hold it tight to bottom of receiver. Feeds fine.

First revelation was setting a bolt head on top of an AR15 mag- its almost like they were meant for each other!

very nice scott!!

ive seen another user post pics of a 45ACP savage bolt project but he was still trying to figure out how to use magazines. his posting said he just used a single loading sled to load one at a time. I considered something like that but your mag system is pretty cool. now that the cats out of the bag, get ready for lots of PM's asking how you did it cuz you know others are gonna wanna modify their rifles to so they can get 30+ rounds of fury on the PD's in their area....lol.

Brian

chakup

Care to PM or post how much taken off receiver, etc. Or pics of receiver with stock off, would be greatly appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Evans
    For some reason I can't start a new post, only quote reply. Pretty simple, it doesn't need to be perfectly square or anything, used a 0 MOA Farrell base for mill setup, machined the stock and the first 1/8" of the action together for a snug fit to the mags, finished the action on the same setup to get the bolt head to case rim distance right, added feed ramps. Mag butts up against the bottom of the receiver machining and latch will hold it tight to bottom of receiver. Feeds fine.

First revelation was setting a bolt head on top of an AR15 mag- its almost like they were meant for each other!

very nice scott!!

Brian

Basic Member

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/GrocMax/LARPV/

New pic shows top of stock and bottom of receiver.
    The HS Precision stock is one beefy mother, aluminum bedding block is at least 1" thick.
    They do offer one set up for the new 4.4" DBM varmint/target action, ~$300.00.

Quote Originally Posted by chakup
    Care to PM or post how much taken off receiver, etc. Or pics of receiver with stock off, would be greatly appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Evans

very nice scott!!

Brian

chakup

Much appreciated!!

Basic Member

Got an AR15 mag latch in, ain't gonna work, came up with a simpler, better design for this app, maybe start a thread when its done.

Eric in NC

You could trade your target action for a DBM action in a heartbeat.

Basic Member

AR15 mag latch done and installed, going back together, will post pics on a new thread if anyone cares.