Thread: 22-250 AI reloading

airaddict

22-250 AI reloading

got a question now that im taking the plunge into an AI version of the 22-250. ive done some searching about this AI version and got a few answers but i also got a few other questions!

I plan to get the LEE collet die cuz i already know it can be used to neck size AI cases, but can the reg 22-250 dies be used to seat bullets for the AI cases? i assume yes because the die doesnt do any sizing but just suppports the neck while the bullet is seated and or crimping if needed (i never crimp anyway).

so its either buy the deluxe set of reg 22-250 ($30) with the collet die with it already or buy the AI version dies ($32) and get the collet die separate ($18). The first option would save me $18, but from all ive read about minimal to non-existant case stretch i do not see the need to have a full length resizer die for the AI case.

can anyone shed some light on this from their own experiences reloading for this. Thanks.

Brian

Re: 22-250 AI reloading

The Lee 22-250 seater die will work with the AI case....some other brands won't due to the tolerances at the body. As you already know, the collett die works and works very well.

However, you'll eventually need to bump the shoulders back on your fired cases. I would buy the 22-250 AI die set and go from there. Set the sizing die up to only bump the shoulders back enough to allow easy chambering (prolly around .001-.002"). Sure, you'll have to use lube but you may find that the FL sizer works just fine for you.

If not, spend the $18 and get the collett die! ;D

airaddict

hmm....i just may have too suck it up and get the AI die set. i plan to order today from midway cuz today is the last day of their July 4th deal to get $10 off every $100 and right now with all the dies and headspace gauges and brass i need, im looking at about $150!

im gonna have a new stevens barrel re-chambered for AI and after breaking it in i plan to nitride it. since this is my first wildcat im gonna test it all out on a cheap barrel to get a feel for it and once im satisfied ill sell off the stevens barrel to fund a nice Crit or mcgowan 28 incher in a mag contour to match my new 308 mag contour barrel.

brian

Skunce

I'm using the Lee std 22-250 collet die set to neck size and seat bullets for my 22-250AI. I bought a Redding 22-250AI body die to set the shoulder back when needed. The Redding body die is about $35 and used with the Lee collet die set makes for a low cost set-up. I'm also getting very low bullet run out with the Lee dies. I'm shooting Hornady 75 and 80 grain Amax bullets in my 1-8" twist barrel with very good accuracy.

Just thought of something! I read your original post again and realized you don't have the standard 22-250 dies. Are you planning on shooting factory ammo to form all brass?

I don't know that the AI die set would work very well trying to load standard 22-250 brass for fireforming. Fireforming brass with a bullet is normally a VERY accurate process....it was for me anyway. Using the AI dies may give you fits with the standard case.

Skunce brought up another option that lots of folks use for AI and standard chambers as well. Use the collett die to size the neck and a body die for sizing.

airaddict

Trappst,

I was gonna buy a batch of 100 pcs of brass but instead i have a $50 GC to a sporting goods store down here and ill prob get factory ammo to do the barrel break in and fireform the brass at the same time. i should get maybe 50-60 rounds or so and ill start with that. this way i wont waste my good powder or bullets on fireforming.

but i think you may be right in that AI dies wouldnt work well to load bullets on non-AI cases. vice versa would work like Skunce does but not the other way around.

brian

Quote Originally Posted by Skunce
    I'm using the Lee std 22-250 collet die set to neck size and seat bullets for my 22-250AI. I bought a Redding 22-250AI body die to set the shoulder back when needed. The Redding body die is about $35 and used with the Lee collet die set makes for a low cost set-up. I'm also getting very low bullet run out with the Lee dies. I'm shooting Hornady 75 and 80 grain Amax bullets in my 1-8" twist barrel with very good accuracy.
    I am doing the exact same thing for my 243AI, Works great.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Basic Member

The AI dies will work with new brass. The only thing you really need to do with new brass is fix the dinged in necks that are not round. I have done it many times or you can get a neck expander from K and M to straighten out the dinged ones. The problem with buying factory ammunition is how do you know that all the brass is from the same lot.

Basic Member

i had my savage model 12 rechambered to 22/250 ack. several years back.
    i bought a new set of 22/250 ack. f/l lee dies on ebay and loaded new win. brass.
    the f/l die resized the body of the new brass and the neck enough to seat bullets.
    just load full loads and go shoot something. this is an easy cartridge to use.
    i dont see what the problem is with just using f/l dies.
    the gun shot very well as a 223 and it still does.
    when that stops ill change barrels and start over.
    why complicate something uncomplicated.

airaddict

ok, i finally got my dies, headspace guages and reloading data book.

i noticed there is no set trim length for 22-250ai. ive seen anything from 1.892" to 1.902" to 1.912".

any tips on where to start or is it dependant on how my chamber is cut as to what length brass will fit and not give false headspace readings off the case mouth instead of the datum line of the shoulder?

brian

It will depend mostly on what your brass is to begin with. After forming, the brass will actually be slightly shorter. I normally didn't trim new brass prior to forming. After forming, I trimmed all the brass to an equal length depending on what the shortest case was.

+1 on trappst's method. I do the same thing with my 223AI.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67