Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am so tired of all the trash talk about my Savage Edge/Axis

jonsrm125k5

Re: I am so tired of all the trash talk about my Savage Edge/Axis

Ok... Here is How I see things with the savage Edge/Axis. They needed to update there intro rifle to equal that with the design of the younger crowd. Stock "looks cool", as compared to the old grey of the Steven's. Almost any deal under 400 bucks camo'd up with a "decent" scope provides the ability for lower end customers to purchase a new rifle, while they mow lawns in high school. And for there kid without breaking there banks, they have the "youth" model. Cheaper production cost from all actions being equal in size, and will take the most common calibers (for prices of ammo really aren't going back to what they were when I was beginning). They have to be extremely accurate and somewhat durable, because kids or possibly younger guys like me that are between 18-25, are going to be hard on there rifles. They have to learn to be accurate with a cheap rifle, only then does it make sense to pay the money for a much better rifle, like my Stevens .223 improved with a Varmint Barrel , to a 7mm Mag in American Classic. I am a "romantic" rifle lover of the Pre-64 Winchester, as my father let me shoot his 22-250 when I was younger. But, if I had to start today, I would still buy the Edge/ Axis. It had problems in the beginning as all new series of rifles do. It is actually the best to start with because it still has the barrel nut.

Basic Member

Kind of reminds me of the saying about Glocks...

"Show your friends your 1911. Show your enemies your Glock".

Tim

gocriter

I have an axis in 22-250. So far I've done the trigger, stiffened and bedded the stock, did the 10 shot barrel break-in, and just removed the china-Bushnell. I could not find the scope I wanted to mount on it, a $300 Konus so I just received an $800 Weaver, "hmm" on a $250 rifle. Now if some aftermarket place would only do a real stock I could make a real savage out of it. BTW I won the rifle in a raffle, the last savage my wife won was a 17 hmr m93 that sucker cost me $600 to make a real rifle out of it, stock, scope, and trigger. I'm just an old guy on a fixed income that has a hobby that can be expensive

jonsrm125k5

Ive been thinking (about how much I want one in .25-06) about a nice home-made stock. I looked up some walnut blanks online, and they cost as much as the rifle!! Anyone have an old maple/walnut table that I could use? Ive been thinking about finding something of some qaulity down at a rich persons dump 8) Anyone else have any ideas about a wood stocks? Any company out there that makes one?

miassmaro98

what ammo are you using ptisd335?

JBK

hi, new to the forum as well as new to savage rifles. dont worry about people talking trash, my bet is cause the are impressed by it but dont wanna admit it cause its not a remington or some other brand. i say this cause i shoot a 1911 and am the same about glocks even though they impress me, lol. wife gave me an axis in 30-06 for my birthday. havent got to shoot it yet but just in handling it i really like them, enrty level or not. i grew up in the country and would much rather my rifle be a tuff, reliable shooter than a pretty safe queen.

HaroldB

I picked up my Axis XP .223 rem and took it to the range. Did a quick cleaning of the barrel and oiled the bolt. Then after 10 rounds at 50 yards had the scope dead on. Moved the targets to 100 yards and after half dozen 5 shot groups (using PMC FMJ 55 grn ammo) got a .83" five shot group!
    I love this light-weight, inexpensive and DANG accurate little rifle ;D

[img width=600 height=391]http://gallery.photo.net/photo/13917353-md.jpg[/img]

ptisd335

Quote Originally Posted by miassmaro98
    I am using Remington core lock 150 grain i have tried some sst 150 but my savage did not like it at all..

ptisd335

Quote Originally Posted by HaroldB
    I picked up my Axis XP .223 rem and took it to the range. Did a quick cleaning of the barrel and oiled the bolt. Then after 10 rounds at 50 yards had the scope dead on. Moved the targets to 100 yards and after half dozen 5 shot groups (using PMC FMJ 55 grn ammo) got a .83" five shot group!
    I love this light-weight, inexpensive and DANG accurate little rifle ;D

[img width=600 height=391]http://gallery.photo.net/photo/13917353-md.jpg[/img]
    Very Nice

mildot

I don't have an axis/edge but wouldn't hesitate to buy one. From what I have read they are reliable guns.

Bladed45TN

Been only ale to put 20-30 down range but I REALLY like mine so far. Trigger job is next as I am pulling right. ::)

miassmaro98

Quote Originally Posted by ptisd335
    Quote Originally Posted by miassmaro98
    I am using Remington core lock 150 grain i have tried some sst 150 but my savage did not like it at all..
    my savage is picky then because i havent found a ammo it likes

HaroldB

Some rifles are like my ex - :D

Seriously though changing bullet weights and shape can make a big difference. Also make sure all the scope mounts are 100% tight. Better luck.

ptisd335

The other day I went to see my local dealer and he was out of The Savage Axis but I bought a new Howa Ranchland that he had for a very good price just could no walk away from it 300.00 out the door. I took it to the range along with my Edge/Axis and my Edge out shot the Howa. I wont give up on the Howa and maybe with some fine tuning the Howa will be half as good as my Savage Edge. I love the Edge

diesel

my SS is not enough to afford those 1k toys, so, looking for a chuck rifle, I bought an Edge when they were new a few years ago for $259 OTD. Just seen an Edge(not an Axis) in .270 at Wally World last night for $267. never fired any factorys, bought 100 Rem. brass and 100 Sierra 60 gr. HPs and 100 Hornady 58 gr. V-max. load is 47 gr IMR 4350 for either bullet. did a little trigger work till it suited me, topped it with a Bushnell Legand 5-15x40 Mil dot, either bullet will shoot 1/2 to 1 MOA all day iffin I do my part. not too bad for all under $500. now your Sakos and Weatherbys will shoot just as well(mabey), but that chuck that is hit will never know the difference, but my pocketbook sure does. diesel

TallBob

Just got an Axis in 22-250 and although I had difficulty initially, it's coming along nicely. Question is though, how difficult is it to change to a smoother/lighter trigger - I feel like I'm arm wrestling with the rifle when I shoot a box.
    Never having had a varmint load rifle before, I'm wondering how much should I shoot before I will feel really confident in shot placement?

ptisd335

I did my own trigger followed the direction given on this forum it was very easy to do.I can't answer your question about shot placement.
    here is the directions I followed on the trigger http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,36088.0.html

dacaur

Quote Originally Posted by TallBob
    Just got an Axis in 22-250 and although I had difficulty initially, it's coming along nicely. Question is though, how difficult is it to change to a smoother/lighter trigger - I feel like I'm arm wrestling with the rifle when I shoot a box.
    Never having had a varmint load rifle before, I'm wondering how much should I shoot before I will feel really confident in shot placement?
    I did the same as ptisd335 on my trigger, mine was smooth and crisp out of the box, just very hard. After finding a roll pin of the correct diameter (.160") and a spring that felt right... it was about the same length, but much softer than the stock spring.... definitely a sweet trigger now and just under 4 lbs.... As for when you will feel confident... well, really only you can decide that.... I have a deer hunt in October, and I am trying to get out and shoot at least every other weekend until then so I can feel really confident with mine in .308.....

HaroldB

Yep,

There are three things that will make you confident in your rifle's accuracy -

Practice ...... practice ............practice

Herman

I'm wondering how much should I shoot before I will feel really confident in shot placement?
    When the bullet consistently hits exactly where you want it to, then you're ready. As far as how long?... That can be different for everybody.

ptisd335

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur
    I did the same as ptisd335 on my trigger, mine was smooth and crisp out of the box, just very hard. After finding a roll pin of the correct diameter (.160") and a spring that felt right... it was about the same length, but much softer than the stock spring.... definitely a sweet trigger now and just under 4 lbs.... As for when you will feel confident... well, really only you can decide that.... I have a deer hunt in October, and I am trying to get out and shoot at least every other weekend until then so I can feel really confident with mine in .308.....
    100 meter shot I think that 109 yards I am shooting a Savage Edge .308 loaded with Noslet BT 150 grain in RP brass Federal primers and 46 grains of 4064 powder it was about 89 degerrs and the wind was blowing from the south east at about 5mph
    [img width=600 height=359]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/ptisd309/IMAG0042.jpg[/img]
    the target
    [img width=600 height=359]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/ptisd309/IMAG0045.jpg[/img]
    less than one inch moa
    [img width=600 height=359]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/ptisd309/IMAG0043.jpg[/img]

But the shots missed the red dot and look at all the copper that came off the bullets when they hit the target. Have you considered a new barrel. ;D

ptisd335

;D ;D ;D LOL ;D ;D ;D I do need to clean the gun as for the red dot itjust would not stay in one place.

forger

Just envy... Some folks pay big bucks for a big name something or other ...and then an entry-level Savage outshoots it..
    They get angry at the Savage owner..they should be getting angry at themselves, for paying big bucks for an also-ran shooter ! ;D

eclipse71

Here' mine an Edge 223,
    Usually sight for 375 meter, Last time at the club I was sighting my 7-08 (Winchester 70) ready for hunting,; some ignorant where bashing the Edge /Axiss, Feeling the pressure, I feel the need to go at the truck and bring back mine, After I fired 3 rounds at 100 M. using the 2nd dot to frame the elevation, they see that:
    You should see their face.

[img width=600 height=450]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8352/savageedge223sept20113.jpg[/img]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast