Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am so tired of all the trash talk about my Savage Edge/Axis

ptisd335

I am so tired of all the trash talk about my Savage Edge/Axis

I am so tired of people on other forums, and just people I know talking about how the Edge/Axis is a throw away gun or a gun that is just an old truck gun. I know the Edge/Axis is a entry level gun and has its good points and bad points, but it's not a throw away gun, and a pitcher is worth a thousand words. This is my Savage .308 at 100 yards not the best photo in the world but most will get the point
    [img width=465 height=450]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5318/imag014611.jpg[/img]

Re: I am so tired of all the trash talk about my Savage Edge/Axis

The Edge/Axis seems to be an accurate and reliable rifle. I am still of the opinion that if you want to build a rifle the 110/Stevens 200 platforms are a better starting point because of the availability of parts and accessories. As an Entry level gun it is one of the best in its class and I will be steering "newbies" to it, for those who want a hunting rifle or are not interested in building.

I am not saying that the Edge/Axis can't be used to build, but right now the 110 line is just got more options, but the aftermarket companies are starting to catch up with the E/A rifles.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

CJ in WY

The 25-06 Axis was bought for the sole perpose of hauling around the prairie and mountains. Sure I litened the trigger but otherwise its good to go as is. I could build a Savage/Stevens to do the same thing but its gonna cost more and do very little better!!

Herman

Most people who bash the Edge/Axis tend to be those that buy a gun for more than a tool that shoots well. They want to do custom work, want it to look nice, want ever mechanism to be smooth as a baby's butt, etc, etc.... The Edge/Axis also flys in the face of the saying you get what you pay for, and people who spend a lot of money to get the same accuracy as an out of the box Edge usually aren't too happy your sub $300 gun shoots just as well as their $1,000+ gun. With the Edge/Axis, you get way more than what you pay for.

I personally don't understand why you'd by a gun to replace just about everything on it.

Big Old Boy

Talked to a guy yesterday he has a new edge in 243 three shoots to sight in shoots half in. @ 100 yds.how can ya go wrong.

ibowhunt2

Maybe it's because I'm old or maybe it's that I like saying screw you. But I just don't care what others think or say. I own two of these guns one in 7mm-08
    and one I have yet to give my son for his birthday in .243. These two rifles together cost less than one browning a-bolt (which I have in 25 wssm) . No , they
    don't look as pretty but they shoot just as well and I don't think that deer, pig, coyote or what else I go after are going to stop and say to themselves " don't
    worry it's only a savage axis " . It's like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac, they both get you there.
    As far as extras.... the larger the market the more likely others are going to jump in. So it's only a matter of time before some republican starts making
    after market stuff for the axis/edge. ;D

ptisd335

Quote Originally Posted by ibowhunt2
    Maybe it's because I'm old or maybe it's that I like saying screw you. But I just don't care what others think or say. I own two of these guns one in 7mm-08
    and one I have yet to give my son for his birthday in .243. These two rifles together cost less than one browning a-bolt (which I have in 25 wssm) . No , they
    don't look as pretty but they shoot just as well and I don't think that deer, pig, coyote or what else I go after are going to stop and say to themselves " don't
    worry it's only a savage axis " . It's like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac, they both get you there.
    As far as extras.... the larger the market the more likely others are going to jump in. So it's only a matter of time before some republican starts making
    after market stuff for the axis/edge. ;D
    Well said!!!!! I tried get a Second Axis/Edge Saturday from my local gun dealer he was sold out. I am thinking about a .270 or a 7mm08

Uncle Jack

I kinda have to agree. If you have it and it shoots good, well, F**k em. Just keep shooting it and see what you can do with it. We Savage shooters have been dealing with this kind of ignorance, arrogance and effeteism for years.

I have been shooting Savage rifles since the 60's. I was first attracted by the fact I'm left handed and I have never had a bad one.

The fact that I can change out a barrel or a trigger in about half the time it would take a Remchester and Mauser users to even drive to his gunsmith makes me feel pretty good.

Iilgitimus Non Carbarundeum. Don't let the Bast*rds grind you down. If it shoots, that’s all that’s important.

Keep the faith.

uj

ChipEckardt

Just think how much you will piss these people off when you out shoot them!
    ::)

Chip

dacaur

The review I just read in "shooting times" sure isnt going to help us out any on this....

It has however, taught me to take every magazine review with a teaspoon of salt (up from the grain I was taking previously)

If I were buying a budget gun based on the article, It wouldn't be the edge, as the best 3 shot group they got was 1.45, which is more than half an inch bigger than the best group I have gotten on MY savage Edge, they even used the same caliber I have, .308 win.
    Looking at their results they were badly skewed by a type of ammo that NONE of the guns liked, but that the savage disliked twice as much as the other guns.... Add to that, mine didn't really start shooting good till I had about 60 rounds down the tube, which is about how many the fired in the whole review, and well....

In the end the edge/axis came in dead last for accuracy out of the 6 guns with an average group of 2.62" (thats with three, 3 shot groups, out of each of 3 different rifles)
    2.62"? really?

Just reinforces my policy to go online and get reviews from actual owners of things I am interested to buy, rather than look to magazines... Though I will admit, this is actualy the first bad review I have seen of this gun, most mags are smart enough to find an ammo the gun likes. Trying to test 6 different guns with only 3 different types of ammo is just plain silly and bound to be far from "truth". I think they made a bad decision testing 3 different specimins of each gun, rather than doing what the rest of us would do and test more types of ammo.

JC808

That would be the first review that I've come across saying anything negative about the Savage Axis' accuracy. All of the reviews I've read or watched (online) can't say enough about the accuracy of this $300 rifle and that's the main reason why I bought one.

Well find comfort in the fact that there is nothing more satisfying than spanking someone with a piece of equipment that cost a third of what they paid. You will also find the people with the loudest mouths tend to be the ones with marginal skill and little knowledge. I personally do not own an Edge/Axis rifle but only because I am incapable of leaving anything stock, it's a sickness.
    Any clod can have the facts; having opinions is an art.

Basic Member

i sure do love mine, and i'm kind of proud that it is an original EDGE in 223, made before they changed the name. shoots like a dream. i've played with it and added a rifle basix trigger. i have a redfield revolution 4-12x on it, a perfect combination. :)
    don

ptisd335

I bought my Savage Edge for one reason and that was Deer Hunt with. I bought it last year only because my other gun was stolen. I did not have a lot of money to put into another high dollar gun so I stopped by my local gun dealer and he suggested for me to try the Savage Edge. I bought it and went to the range, and got the scope set. That Saturday I killed a deer with my Edge. I killed three Deer last year with my Edge. I do wish sometimes that they made a aftermarket stock for it but so far nothing. My brother dose work with Duracoat and I am thinking about getting him to paint the stock for me. As for the trigger I will replace it before hunting season this year, and my Savage Edge and I will keep on hunting.

Basic Member

think of the edge as the "junk yard dog" of the rifle world, and everyone wants one of them on their side.
    don

dacaur

Quote Originally Posted by don lynch
    i sure do love mine, and i'm kind of proud that it is an original EDGE in 223, made before they changed the name. shoots like a dream. i've played with it and added a rifle basix trigger. i have a redfield revolution 4-12x on it, a perfect combination. :)
    don
    Yea I was bummed when the changed the name before I got mine... I really liked the name edge, and If I had not decided I wanted one before the name change, the name axis right there would have put me off the gun.... Somehow, I didn't really want to hunt with a savage "bad guys of WWII".... LOL...

Well, I had resigned myself to having an "axis", but luckily, I guess .308 doesn't sell that well and they had some old stock, because mine turned out to be an Edge, yay......

Ive got a simmons 8 point 6.5-20x50AO (mil dot) on the way, and am now saving for a rifle basix trigger too ;D

Herman

Quote Originally Posted by don lynch
    don
    We've got the exact same setup! An origional Edge in .223 with a Redfield 4-12x40. I may be a bit bias, but the Edge and the Redfield scope were made for each other. They make one slick looking setup.

sinman

The edge is an ok rifle, it shoots decent and is cheap. I like cheap but to me the Stevens 200 is a way better rifle. I have had edges apart, put a custom barrel on one and played with them. If you can get a Stevens for the same price I would go Stevens any day of the week.

ptisd335

The Edge/Axis is more than ok its a grate gun for the money. I also like Stevens I have shot one but do not own one. I would like to see aftermarked parts like a stock for one but for now I am happy with what I got and don't see a need in changing it but I might Duracoat the stock and work on the trigger. Other than the trigger pull I think that Savage has got it going on with the Edge/Axis.

ptisd335

Did a trigger job on my edge today and I got to check the weight and I got it down to 3.5 pounds. It shot very well. The trigger is very crisp with no creep.

Martin

Don't worry about what other people think. If it pleases you that's all that counts. I had the same trash talk about my Savage 12 bvss when I bought it in 2000. They said it looked cheap and ugly with the barrel nut. Now I see some are converting some Remingtons with the nut. Go figure! To some if it doesn't cost in the thousands it's no good.
    Martin

ptisd335

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    Don't worry about what other people think. If it pleases you that's all that counts. I had the same trash talk about my Savage 12 bvss when I bought it in 2000. They said it looked cheap and ugly with the barrel nut. Now I see some are converting some Remingtons with the nut. Go figure! To some if it doesn't cost in the thousands it's no good.
    Martin
    Think I am over it now sometimes you just got to vent and I guess there is what I did. I love my savage edge. My son likes it to so I guess I will be getting him one this year.

i am not a fan of the axis/edge. but from what i seen they are shooters.i just prefer the stevens 200. i have a 114 classic in 06 that people have been beating up for 5 years at different ranges and clubs. you would be surprised how much a savage still gets beat up on

dacaur

Ill admit, as much as I love my edge, I do look forward to the day I can get a model 11 fcns, or even better a Model 10 precision carbine *drool*... of course, that may change when I get a decent trigger on my edge.... my edge is definitely a shooter though, under 1 moa with cheap federal factory ammo, and am currently working up a load that looks very promising when I get it fine tuned.... Its just too bad they didn't put an accutrigger on it, I guarantee people would pay $50 more to get an accutrigger....

HaroldB

My Axis in 223 is arriving at my FFL guy this week. I'm excited about being able to buy cheap(er) ammo and still get MOA groups. I already have a Remington 700 in 308 that does MOA, but being 60 yo and having arthritis make shooting a "major" caliber too painful.

Bench shooting a 223 with readily available ammo (or reloads) with an inexpensive-reliable-accurate bolt-action rifle will be a joy ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast