Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 926 yard antelope pistol kill (video)

Basic Member

Re: 926 yard antelope pistol kill (video)

I read a print article by gasixgunner on this shot, and he detailed the amount of practice and experience that he put in on shooting, wind doping, etc.. He described the equipment he was using, and admonished the readers not to try this type of shooting unless they were committed to the learning and practice necessary to make these types of shots.
    Good Shooting Makes Good Hunting
    NRA Patron Member

There's a reason they call it hunting and not shooting, and this is a prime example.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

mytwo60

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious
    There's a reason they call it hunting and not shooting, and this is a prime example.
    I shot a buck at 300yds once. My archery hunting buddies said the same thing you did.

davemuzz

IMHO, he took the shot with a "Hand Rifle" and not a hand gun. Taking this shot at an Antelope at that range is not "unethical" as long as the shooter has done his homework and his practice.

I practiced my shooting prior to my WY pronghorn trip and felt very comfortable to take a 600 yard shot on an antelope buck this past fall should that present itself. But, i had a chip shot at 150yards. ;D

Antelope are not (Repeat.....NOT) tough animals to kill. Hit 'em with a bullet and they will simply fall over and die. Nothing like a whitetail that will run 100 yards with no heart.

woodsman416

Great shooting! ;D

taos

AVE TO AGReE WITH THE ABOVE STATEMENT. If you can't pack it on your hip it is not a handgun, but what a shot!! Congrats to the shooter. As to ethical the proof is in the gutpile. My damn kid has got me interested in this L.R. hunting game and I am hooked. I see a .338 Lapua in my not too distant future.

shootist

Nice shooting skills-hunting skills-meh-not so much.

efw

Quote Originally Posted by leather5to1
    Amax bullet for hunting? The manufacturer states that its not acceptable for medium to large game for a reason.
    The manufacturer said it was fine for hunting before they introduced the SST.

Remember that manufacturers make their recommendations based upon what can be considered "typical use," and what we refer to these days as LR hunting most certainly is NOT typical.

Personally, I'm happy to allow people to do what they like in the field and stay out of their business. The longest shot I've ever taken or made in the field is about 300 yds, and I don't go looking for a long one.

On the other hand, many of the individuals I know who like to hunt "LR" do a TON of shooting and know what they're doing from real world experience. I've met an awful lot more "normal" hunters who shouldn't be taking shots at 100 yds than I have "LR" hunters who don't know their limits. Just visit the clubs I frequent on "sight in days" here in October... just the fact that they're tossing a round or 2 downrange in late-October tells you everything you need to know about their level of readiness, yet I hear a lot more complaining about these "LR" guys than the average joe.

I guess we all like to have something to be self-righteous about and I understand (I mean that I am right there w/ ya'll) but in today's anti-hunting climate I say we oughta stick together as hunters/shooters.

Basic Member

168 gr A-Max @ 2500ish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12