Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 926 yard antelope pistol kill (video)

gasixgunner

926 yard antelope pistol kill (video)

here is a link for my 926 yard antelope kill using a Savage target action.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6mcFTVH9-g

Uncle Jack

Re: 926 yard antelope pistol kill (video)

926 yards with a handgun. Elmer Keith just rolled over in his grave.

So much for ethical hunting.

I need a drink.

uj

thomae

Congratulations! Nice shooting! ;D

As to Uncle Jack's response (Not trying to flame you, and unsure if you are serious or being funny...), I would suggest that it would be unethical for ME to try that shot. However, with the right weather conditions, the right weapon, the right choice of caliber and bullet, and the requisite skill, it was not unethical (obviously, "in my opinion") for the OP to take that shot.

Basic Member

[quote=thomae ]
    Congratulations! Nice shooting! ;D

As to Uncle Jack's response (Not trying to flame you, and unsure if you are serious or being funny...), I would suggest that it would be unethical for ME to try that shot. However, with the right weather conditions, the right weapon, the right choice of caliber and bullet, and the requisite skill, it was not unethical (obviously, "in my opinion") for the OP to take that shot.

[/quote

I agree, 100%. Not a shot I am even close to being capable of, nor would I attempt it (because I would be wasting ammo, and no telling where the bullet would wind up) but when a person takes only one shot and cleanly drops the animal, it's ethical.

I watched a hunting show once where some clown too his brand new 300WM rifle, on a deer hunt. Finding a nice buck at 200yds, he took FOREVER to make the shot, and when he did, he missed. No biggie, we all do it, I figured, but then he made 3 more shots on the buck as he ran up the hillside, and the last one as he topped the ridge. No telling WHERE that slug landed but he was shooting near a 45 deg angle, and of course he missed every shot. The guide was saying, "No problem, that was a tough shot for anyone"?????? really? That was unethical. I bet that guy had someone else zero the rifle in for him cause he couldn't handle the recoil, and had no clue where to hold, or if it was even truly sighted in properly. He kept saying "This is a new gun and I'm just not used to it....yada yada."

SMK Shoe

Was this a hunting trip or a day at the range, with a live target? I always considered hunting as putting myself against the prey and elements. Not, pulling everything out of the vehicle and lazing the target with a bunch of my buddies. I consider this more like a deer walking out on the 1000 yard range and taking the shot from the bench. At these ranges a slight miss read of the wind and you have a wounded animal. I give credit for putting together that rig and being able to make the shot. No credit for deciding to pull the trigger. just my 2 cents

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMK Shoe
    Was this a hunting trip or a day at the range, with a live target? I always considered hunting as putting myself against the prey and elements. Not, pulling everything out of the vehicle and lazing the target with a bunch of my buddies. I consider this more like a deer walking out on the 1000 yard range and taking the shot from the bench. At these ranges a slight miss read of the wind and you have a wounded animal. I give credit for putting together that rig and being able to make the shot. No credit for deciding to pull the trigger. just my 2 cents
    FWIW, I agree with you on the "hunting" part, but that too, is a gray area, open to ones own choices. Some say shooting game with a rifle isn't hunting and it must be archery. Some say shooting game with a compound bow isn't hunting, and should use "traditional gear" and still others say it must be primitive and on and on. For you, and mostly for me, it isn't "hunting" at least as we know it. I can guarantee you, if it were a hunt to live situation, not a survival situation, but providing most of the table fare by hunting, I would pick him in a heartbeat, to hunt with. Shots like that equal meat on the table.

leather5to1

Amax bullet for hunting? The manufacturer states that its not acceptable for medium to large game for a reason.

WALKER80

Damm good shot, and it was a lot more ethical than the way they killed the chickens those other guys will be eating.

WALKER80

Oh and as far as the amax quote, you probly can't get a better antelope bullet. I have shot whitetails with them for years and have never had one tell me that the bullet wasn't made for hunting.

you guys treat this like it was a glock 9mm or something. It is not your ordinary pistol, and just as capable as a rifle of the same caliber.

The only thing I didnt like was that you shot it at that distance with another antelope directly in front of it, instead of letting it clear first. At that range if your range and/or windage guess was off enough it coulda been possible to hit the wrong animal.

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

M.O.A.

nice is all i have to say ;D ;D ;D

atakacorp

Hand gun my ass,this is short barrel rifle , the longest kill I made was 650 yards with my 24" 300winmag savage FCP-K and if this guy can do it with the shorty ,he is my hero

M.O.A.

it dont have a stock or at least not a but plate ;D

borg

Quote Originally Posted by pdog06

The only thing I didnt like was that you shot it at that distance with another antelope directly in front of it, instead of letting it clear first. At that range if your range and/or windage guess was off enough it coulda been possible to hit the wrong animal.
    Raises the odds.

Tracer

Now that is some great shooting, no question in my mind about the shot ok.

However, I must question the fact that this weapon used, is certainly NOT a pistol by my standards and most other peoples. It has a short rifle barrel with heavy "muzzle brake" and a heck of a rifle scope too. Sorry! this was a great rifle shot young man but leave the word pistol out of the thread please. ::) ::)

M.O.A.

it is a pistol rem and savage both have sold 15" barreled pistols and in many states that is the legal barrel length for a pistol so it is one :-\

atakacorp

Come on MOA use the common sense

this is the pistol

and this is not

M.O.A.

Quote Originally Posted by atakacorp
    Come on MOA use the common sense

this is the pistol

and this is not

by law that is a 12ga pistol and is sold as such

Nope, that shotgun is an AOW. "Any Other Weapon" per BATFE regs.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

atakacorp

MOA , I bought this "pistol" it was sold as a "pistol", but we all know this is AK , they can say its a cappuccino maker,but it will always be an AK ;D ;D

[img width=600 height=400]http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/atakacorp/Krink_Draco/Krink004.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=400]http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt287/atakacorp/Krink_Draco/Krink011.jpg[/img]

rivermud

Dont get cappuccino on the couch!!

Samdweezel05

I say nice shot. It was a pistol being used. As soon as you can't use your shoulder to steady the weapon, it's a whole nother world. You want to talk ethical, have you ever seen how farm raised animals are killed and processed?

don't like pistol as a description, then use handgun.
    what do you get when you put a rifled barrel on your 500 mossburg shotgun?

rifle- A rifle is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, with a barrel that has a helical groove or pattern of grooves ("rifling") cut into the barrel walls.

shotgun-A shotgun (also known as a scattergun and peppergun,[1] or historically as a fowling piece) is a firearm that is usually designed to be fired from the shoulder, which uses the energy of a fixed shell to fire a number of small spherical pellets called shot, or a solid projectile called a slug.

pistol - When distinguished as a subset of handguns, a pistol is a handgun with a chamber that is integral with the barrel, as opposed to a revolver, wherein the chamber is separate from the barrel as a revolving cylinder.

handgun - A handgun is a firearm designed to be held and operated by one hand. This characteristic differentiates handguns as a general class of firearms from long guns such as rifles and shotguns (which are mounted against the shoulder).
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

borg

By that definition, it does in fact belong to the subset of handguns known as pistols.

sendero72

Great shot anyway you look at it. Bet more deer are lost to bad shots at 100 yds than at 900 yds on a % bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast