Thread: needed savage 110 bolt head

RW

needed savage 110 bolt head

I have a savage 110 that is a very old one, one of the first, I believe the serial # 21324 made in the Chicpee Falls, Mass. Plant. and I need a lrge rifle bolt head complete, as it has a magnum bolt face now and I am going to re-barrel and chamber to 6.5x55 and so I need to change it.
    Does any one know about where I would get on? I would very much apreciate it very much!
    Thank You, RW
    I can be e-mailed at rongwoodsranch@msn.com

r29l20

Re: needed savage 110 bolt head

You can try Midway, Brownells, or Sharp shooters supply.

Basic Member

I get mine from midwayusa about $20.

If it's the pre-67 style, Midway or Brownells will not have them. Numrich only has the magnum size in the old style.

Here's a link to identify the difference. The pre-67 rifles also have a "bulge" in the barrel where the rear sight is mounted.

If it is the older style, you'd need to swap the whole bolt since a newer bolt head won't work in the old style bolt. They are 90 degrees different. Here's a picture.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001626.jpg[/img]
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

I found it easier to just buy a complete bolt assembly from Midway (~$95 to $105). The only thing I needed to swap with my old bolt was a front baffle. The new ones come with some sort of notch or barb that won't work with my old flat-back receiver. I can't find the old style baffles but it's just as easy to file the barb off to fit.

AFAIK, a complete new bolt should work in an older receiver such as yours but I'm not 100% positive.

Just search Midway for "Savage Bolt" and sort by price, highest to lowest and the first page will be full of complete bolts.

Tony.

Sorry, I forgot the link.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...ic,8474.0.html

You'll also have to take out the standing ejector. I think it is attached to the mag box. You can also get the mag box and follower at Midway.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member

Will there be issues with this swap? The original had a coned bolt and was recessed into the barrel. Will there be a headspace issue or a problem of too much unsupported case?

The bolt and barrel have to match. I'm assuming that the new barrel he wants to use is machined for the newer bolt head.