Thread: Need advice on best route for build and new 3.44" actions

MDHOGGER

Need advice on best route for build and new 3.44" actions

In the past I have built two rifles with Stevens actions and Stockys Bobby Hart stocks with the 4.40" action screw spacing. I bought in addition to the Stevens action a BT bolt handle, competition recoil lug, a single shot loading ramp and SSS trigger. This adds up to around $400 give or take. Now it is getting harder to get any Stevens actions and with small bolt heads from Northlanders and other sources. I am now thinking to just get a new Savage Target Action. Will the Stockys Bobby Hart stock fit the new target action with just relocation of the front action screw. I am assuming the front action screw has just been moved back approx one inch. If it is a different situation could someone let me know the actual spacing difference. I ordered another Bobby Hart stock 15 weeks ago and don't now when it will arrive. After ordering it I decided to order a stock from inventory to get my build done for my past Junes prairie dog shoot. Now I need to know what route I can take to use this stock when it arrives. Thanks Bill

rocksteady

Re: Need advice on best route for build and new 3.44" actions

if the stock is a 4.40 screw spacing...you can get a target action with that spacing......but you either have to exclude the middle action screw or put a pillar in there. i have always just excluded it and it has performed flawlessly for me.

Re: Need advice on best route for build and new 3.44" actions

I would do what rocksteady mentioned and just get the target action w/a 4.400 spacing. Alot less work for you and will bolt right in.

I believe on the 3.44" spacing actions that the rear pillar has also been moved forward to allow for a full rear pillar, so you would wind up having to move 2 pillars on your stock.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood