Thread: 7mm BR ejection problems

7mm BR ejection problems

I have a 30 Bellm which is a 7mmBR necked up to 30cal and shortened to 1.4" and it will not eject from my Striker. It will extract from the chamber but will not eject out of the action. Is this just the nature of the beast with short cartridges? Or any ideas?

Re: 7mm BR ejection problems

It can be an issue with short rounds. If you are shooting as a Single Shot I would recommend removing the plunger ejector out of the bolt head. I like that for Single Shot that way I am not chasing the brass as it is flung out with the ejector in place.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

82boy

Check out the FAQs section.
    http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,23731.0.html

and

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,15070.0.html

Also what is the advantage to a 30 Bellm over a 30BR?

I will check the FAQs. It is one of only 2 legal bottle neck handgun deer cartridges allowed in Illinois. The other is a 300 whisper. This is supposed to be about 200 fps faster.

82boy

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1
    I will check the FAQs. It is one of only 2 legal bottle neck handgun deer cartridges allowed in Illinois. The other is a 300 whisper. This is supposed to be about 200 fps faster.
    Very interesting, Thank you for the information. I will have to look into this cartridge a bit more.

Here ya go 82boy,

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=106

snowgetter1, how are you fireforming your brass? I'll be picking up a new T/C encore pistol frame later this week. I've pretty much settled on the 300 AAC Blackout (300 Whisper, etc...) for mine. I just don't have the time for fireforming and all that jazz anymore. Although the Bellm looks great and might be a project for the future.

Getting BR brass to eject can be done...I did it with the 20 BR barrel I had for a while. If you still have questions after checking the links, shoot me a PM.

SMK Shoe

I have problems ejecting all my BR cases ( 2 x 22br, 1 X 6br, 2 x 6.5 br ND 1 X 7BR) but since I shoot bench only and use tgt actions (single shot) its not a issue for me. Easier to take the brass from the action vs chasing it on the table or ground.

trappst: I ordered a 300 AAC from Savage barrels (18" threaded for a muzzle break) for a specialty pistol built on a tgt action. Midway has brass for 24$ a hundred. I'm using mine for cast lead bullets and 250 yard rams. accurate enough, no tgt damage and pennies per round

Trappst
    I fire form by necking up the 7mmBR to .30 then trim to 1.4". Load them with 9grs of Unique, fill with walnut media, and plug with some clay. They are pretty much done after this. I have only put 20 rounds down it but, it seems to shoot good. I will post some velocity when I get full house loads worked up.

Team Savage

What I've found as far as dealing with ejection problems on the short BR cases is to remove the ejector rod and spring. That way there's no issues with chasing or damaged brass. Single shot action, followers or sleds. The extracted brass stays on the bolt head till you pick it off. Works the same on Fireball brass. No more problems.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Snowgetter,

If I may ask, who did your Striker barrel?

Seriously guys, the short cases can eject if you want them to. Here's a video of my 20 BR....pay no attention to my fumbling around. I was trying to do this one handed! ;D

Barrel is an ER Shaw 17" varmit chamber done by Mike Bellm at the website you listed. Gun weighs 9lbs with scope now.

9 lbs w/scope for a Striker! Holy cow.......can you post pics?

Unfortunately, my Encore project probably won't be ready for deer season this year. Wifezilla tends to take control of the extra funds! :P Good thing I already have the 220F 20 Ga. and 10MLII for deer season!

What area of Illinois are you hunting? I'm over in east central IL. not far from the Indiana border. Deer aren't huge around here but the really big ones do exist (my best so far is 160+). Way too many does in my area and the hunting pressure is just stupid.

Barrel is in the white. It will be Duracoated to match the rest. Scope is a Nikon 4x12 BDC. I will be hunting in Randoulph County by Sparta this year. And I hunt in Madison and Montgomery also.
    [img width=600 height=450]http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/snowgetter1/IMAG0116.jpg[/img]

> I have worked up some loads with the 30 Bellm. The fastest is 31.5g H4198 at 2620fps with a 125g Nosler BT. I may have about 1/2-1g to add yet but I am pleased here with only slight primer flattening. Got the idea for these from a recent 30BR post. Other loads I have filled the case with are 34g of 2230 at 2517fps and 34g of 8208XBR at 2417fps both with the 125g BT. I have not shot it for accuracy but had some nice 100 yard groups with 120g lead RN.
    I am having issues with resizing the fire formed cases. I have to soak them with lube to prevent them from becoming stuck. I have never had so many stuck cases. I started running them through a 308 full lenght resizing die first an it helps some. Any ideas? Not sure if it is the dies needing polishing or could it be a headspace issue. This case is headspaced off a trimmed, necked up to 30 cal, and unformed 7mm BR case. I do need to get some case measurements to Mike Bellm to hopefully work through this.
    I have the ejection down to about 50% of the time. I will continue to play with the ejector spring I guess. I did file it down as recommended in the FAQ.

I'd say you have a die issue. Whether it's caused by the die itself or the brass/chamber or a combo of the two, I can't say.

Did you get your dies from ch4d?

If you set your headspace with an unformed case, you could easily have a little extra headspace. If possible, you might try re-setting the barrel with a formed case or get with PTG and see what a go gauge would cost.

For those interested here is a pic from Mr. Bellm's website:

left to right: 44mag, 30 Herrett, 30 Bellm (note the pic shows the 30Bellm rimmed version made from 444 Marlin cases)

82boy

I have never played with a 30 Bellm, but I have experience with 30 BR. You may want to replace your extractor ball to the larger size. I cant say I have had a problem with resizing my 30BR cases, I did find that neck tension plays a big part in the way the gun shoots and how it responds to pressure. The 30BR love neck tension.

The dies are the c4d ones he sells. I was a little suprised about the headspace setting it like that but that is how it was recommended. I have yet to do the larger extractor ball. Thanks 82d and trapist.

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by trappst

If you set your headspace with an unformed case, you could easily have a little extra headspace.

+1

I have started sizing in a 308 full lenght resizer and it helps but still very tight. The once fired 7mm br I have size fine in the 30B dies. Anyway, here are the measurements.
    Once fired 7mmbr shoulder .456 base .4635
    after fire formed resized 30b shoulder.455 base .465
    fired 30 b shoulder .465 base .4665

I also just measured the 30 b fired case at the resize line on it at .274 up from the head and it measures .465-.470 wide on all fired cases. The once fired 7mm BR cases are not this wide. Could the expansion be related to headspace? The cases are expanding out in the middle area this is where it becomes hard to resize them.

after fire formed resized 30b shoulder.455 base .465
    fired 30 b shoulder .465 base .4665
    Is it just me or does that shoulder figure seem a bit excessive? The diameter at the shoulder is blowing out .010" after fireforming/sizing?

Mr. Bellm might be able to give a better answer but I'm thinking the headspace is off more than just a couple thou. Either that or the chamber reamer wobbled! Is the fireforming process much like that of an Ackley Improved case? In other words, what does the necked up 7mm BR brass headspace off of?

A quick check that's pretty easy: Take a necked up 7mm BR brass (empty of course) and smoke the shoulder/neck area with a candle. Chamber it and remove carefully. There should be a distinct ring at the spot where it's headspacing.

Trappst I will check the headspace with smoked case. I am leaning towards headspace myself. When chambering a round it is pretty tight/hard to close the bolt. I had a similar problem with older brass on my 300wsm. I should locate some new brass because maybe by once fired 7mm br are not once fired. A regular headspace gauge is not available. And I am in communication with Mike Bellm trying to work this out.

I read the case forming info again last night and thought of a couple things. Basically, you're dealing with a 30BR Improved....much like the 6 BRX, Dasher, etc. According to Mr. Bellm's site, cases are trimmed to a length dependent on the frame gap on a tender/encore and the case headspaces on the mouth.

I'm wondering if using a false shoulder would be a better way to fireform cases with a bolt gun. Because the shoulder is being blown forward, my experience with Ackley Improved cases doesn't help too much. An unformed case in an ackley chamber will headspace off the neck/shoulder junction and the smoke test will show this very clearly......although smoking a case may give you an idea of what's going on in your barrel.

You might even smoke a formed/fired case and try it too.

I'm still leaning towards excess headspace. With the length being too long, you're blowing the case out too much and possibly blowing the shoulders too far forward at the same time. This is creating a situation where the die is trying to reposition the shoulder/body which isn't an easy thing to do with just one die.

After reading some of Mr. Bellm's site, I know he looks at "headspace" in a different way. He sure does know his way around the single shot break actions!!! Some great stuff on his site.

Please keep me posted!

btw - 82boy, I have a feeling you're looking into this chamber for benchrest!!! ;D

After some experimentation we believe the problem is the 30 B resize die. The die is just to tight. All once fired brass would chamber easily but, after resizing it was difficult. I think the tight die must have been crushing the case down and out. The die will be sent back to him with some fire cases and adjusted. I did fire the gun with a headspace on the formed brass. Operation was much smoother and no signs of any pressure problems.
    I am also thinking about getting a small base 308 resizing die to help eliminate the lower bulge anyway.