Thread: High power, fixed power scopes

LabRat2k3

High power, fixed power scopes

I'm in the process or putting together a rifle for mostly range use, just a paper puncher. I was pretty sure that I was going to go with a 36x fixed power scope, either a T-36 or SII. The problem is the more I read about these high power, fixed power scopes though, the more I find people saying that if it is hazy out or too hot the mirage can make it difficult to shoot good groups and a variable is better so you can adjust for different conditions if needed. I wanted to see what people who have this type of scope have to say about it. Also while I would love to have a nightforce scope, that isn't going to happen any time soon, my wife is in college, we have a 22 month old baby and i'm the only income for our house. I do have about $400 set aside for optics which will get me into either of the scopes listed or a nice variable in the 6-20X, or 8-32X range. Which way did you guys go and why?

SMK Shoe

Re: High power, fixed power scopes

In that price range I would look at the nikon 6-18 SF from midway. 309$. for the money hard to beat. I am thinking the same thing and wanted a SII 36X but in north carolina if its warm or hot mirage makes the scope useless. A shooting friend has a 36X leopold and has more days he can't shoot than can.

Try the 8-32 Mueller with the 1/8moa target dot.Nice clear glass holds zero and I think they still come with a sun shade.Sell for around $250, www.swfa.com good place to buy with great customer service.
    I replaced a 6-24 vortex crossfire with this one on my 30br because the vortex was like looking through a pipe.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

LabRat2k3

Thanks for the input guys, nothing like spending your whole budget to get something you think is going to be great and ending up with something that you can only use sometimes. The variable power scopes in the price range that I was looking at are the Vortex Viper 6.5-20X44 and the Millett Buck Gold 6-25X56. I've never even looked through a Vortex, but hear lots of good things about them. I do own a low end Millett that they don't even make anymore a buck silver 3-9X40 that sold for around $60 if I remember correctly and it has very good glass, just slightly lower than a Prostaff I have in the same power. I will look into the Mueller, I think a friend of mine has one in a 6-25X or some such power. I'm going to buy within the week so if anyone else has anything to add I would appreciate it. It takes me a while to squirrel away enough to buy a decent scope and so I would hate to end up with something that I couldn't use or wouldn't meet my expectations.

dcloco

Regardless of which brand you select, buy some quality glass. The nikon is not going to get it done for benchrest type shooting.

High fixed power scopes sound great, until you have to deal with mirage. Even the best cannot cut through the haze.

Might I suggest a fixed 12, 16, or 20 power Leupold? On occasion, you will find a nice used piece of glass for sale.

Another that will fit your needs is the Japan built Tasco or Bushnell scopes. Yes, older scopes, but of very good quality.

Basic Member

what ever you buy look at the range of adjustment it would ring the suck if you send your cash and find you run out of adjustment

seanhagerty

Burris Signature Zee Rings solve the "running out of adjustment" problem.

snipecatcher

I'm in the same boat you are right now and will probably go with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. This is based on about a year of researching and dreaming. I just have not had the extra cash, but will soon. I've been getting by with a Bushnell 10x40 fixed power and it works great, but I need more power to see hits out to 500 yards or so. I believe 20x will do that for me.
    -Dan

ttfreestyle

weaver makes a T 24 that sells for around $400 i think that is a good compromise range and can still be used on hot hazy days.

leather5to1

I bought a used 40x that came with a weaver fixed 36x scope. I hate it, too much power and not enough light. Makes the sight hazy. In your price range I'd go with the mueller. I have two of the 8-32 target scopes somebody mentioned earlier and while I like them better and they are just as reliable as the weaver 36 they are still not as clear as I'm use to. The 8.5-25 mueller eraticator is probably your best bet. I have around a dozen of them and have had great luck with them. They rule their price range, the illuminated dot is okay but I never use it. The clarity is amazing for the price (I shoot them back to back with leupolds and zeiss scopes) and they hold zero and shoot tiny groups. I have a couple nikons and their clarity doesn't compare to the muellers.

LabRat2k3

Went with the Mueller 8-32X44 Target. Just got it today. It looks clear, but I don't have it mounted yet, my barrel won't be here until tomorrow. I was really tempted to put it on my AR and run to the Range to test it out, but I think I am going to wait until I get my Savage built. Thanks for all the input, it really helped me decide what to go with.