Thread: 300 AAC Blackout info

300 AAC Blackout info

Fellas, I'm looking for some info on the 300 AAC Blackout, 300 Whisper (TM), 300-221...whatever you wanna call it! ;D

I'm in the process of starting a new project with a Encore pistol frame. I'm wanting to do the 300 Blackout chamber but I'm not certain of what twist to go with.

The barrel will be in the 12" length range and I'm only wanting to shoot bullets in the 110-130g range at supersonic speeds. Specifically looking at using the 110g Tipped Triple Shock X bullet. I really don't think an 8 twist will be needed here but I'm not sure if I wanna go real slow with the twist given the short barrel.

The last thing I wanna have is a barrel with a twist that's too slow to shoot anything!

hunter2

Re: 300 AAC Blackout info

Have 8 twist in 2 barrels and it is no handicap for any bullet I want to shoot. Hornady 110's shoot great. In the savage it doesn't matter what goes through it - it will not eject.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by trappst
    Fellas, I'm looking for some info on the 300 AAC Blackout, 300 Whisper (TM), 300-221...whatever you wanna call it! ;D

I'm in the process of starting a new project with a Encore pistol frame. I'm wanting to do the 300 Blackout chamber but I'm not certain of what twist to go with.

The barrel will be in the 12" length range and I'm only wanting to shoot bullets in the 110-130g range at supersonic speeds. Specifically looking at using the 110g Tipped Triple Shock X bullet. I really don't think an 8 twist will be needed here but I'm not sure if I wanna go real slow with the twist given the short barrel.

The last thing I wanna have is a barrel with a twist that's too slow to shoot anything!
    look over here at the 300whisper forums
    http://www.quarterbore.net/forums
    http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/ is the official forum for AAC
    and the new name for the cartridge is the 300wtf (we gave up on keeping up with all of the aliases ;D )
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Here is a Savage I chambered in the 7.62x25 Tokarev, I know it isn't the BLK. It had a SS 16.1" barrel and I would use it to shoot heavy subsonic reloads as well as cheap surplus. The subsonic Tokarev loads I worked up are actually being used by a few people now that are producing the AR chambered in the Tokarev round. The subsonic rounds will never hit the mainstream but makes for a very quiet gun with a suppressor. The Tokarev uses a .308' bore rather than the .311" like the AK. This makes finding reloading components easy.

Here are pictures of the last Tokarev build:
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Tok%20build/IMG_0198.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Tok%20build/IMG_0207.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Tok%20build/IMG_0204.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Tok%20build/IMG_0203.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Tok%20build/IMG_0195.jpg[/img]
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/Adyth/Tok%20build/IMG_0197.jpg[/img]

The tube is a tensioning sleeve that fits over the barrel then the muzzle nut is tightened down to tension the barrel. I first did this to try to fix a heat related drift problem I had with another rifle and it worked great. Prior to the sleeve the bullets would start walking after about 5 rounds and by round 10 they were 1"+ off of zero but after I could shoot long strings without any drift. It seems to work out to be similiar to a bull barrel as far as stiffness goes yet is lighter weight. I didn't put the sleeve on this one because of any drift. I did it because it seemed to be as accurate as a heavy barrel without the extra weight.

The Tokarev let me shoot cheap surplus or my subsonic handloads. Even without a suppressor is was a quiet gun. My previous build used a 24.5" barrel and was as quiet as a 16" 10/22 shooting CCI subsonics WITHOUT a suppressor. I did a lot of testing on stability also and rather than try to get a HP to open at subsonic velocities I was able to get it to readily tumble. This was more reliable and created more damage than just passing through. Also, the chance of tumbling only gets better as velocity drops while a HP opening it only gets worse. I did this by testing several different twist rates and getting the bullet just stable enough to be accurate yet unstable enough to tumble when it hit something. I got it to where the subsonic bullet would reliably tumble at 6"-10" of water.

I have had to slow my projects substantially because I was in a helicopter accident in June of 2008 in some far away place. My most recent was the completion of a Form 1 22 can. It is big, heavy and made out of SS but I wanted it to last a lifetime. Which I am sure it will.

I have since sold the barrel for the Tokarev project to a guy who is using it for animal control. I plan on doing another, similar build except build it with the intention of suppressing it. Hope the pictures give you some inspiration even though it wasn't a BLK.

Dolomite

Thanks for the info fellas. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with only using a couple chamberings for this project due to hunting regs here in IL.

My options are the 300-221 and it's variations (that are basically the same) and the 30 Bellm for bottleneck cases. Funding has forced me to put off this project for now but I hope to get it going in the spring.

By the time spring comes around, I may end up splurging and going straight to the 30 Bellm for the extra oomph.

trappst,
    Not sure if I posted it here or not but, I did get some data on my 30 Bellm. Best load was with H4198 and 125 gr BT at 2620 fps. Right now sinman has the barrel to put on a muzzle brake.

Thanks snowgetter!

Are you getting a brake due to the recoil? I would think with the weight of your Striker, it wouldn't be too bad. Am I way off?

I'm currently exchanging emails with Match Grade Machine in an attempt to get a ready to go barrel. Unfortunately, they don't have a reamer on hand. Hopefully I can figure something out!

BTW, how's the throat on your barrel?

I am getting the brake to just help with keeping the gun on target. Recoil is not bad but, I would like a little less jumping with full house loads. And it just looks cool with a brake on it.

I have no idea how the throat is. I have put about 100 rounds down it. Waiting for Sinman to get it back to me now.

Guess I should have worded that differently. How is the throat as far as bullet seating depth goes?

Can you touch the rifling with plenty of bullet left in the case? After reading much of Mr. Bellm's page, it appears he does the throat separately so I'm guessing yours is good to go.

Yes the throat is good. I have loaded 3 kinds of 125 gr all with very different lengths and up to 150 gr fmj with no issues. So far I am very pleased with it. I would still like to have the barrel nitrided but, I am afraid I won't get it back in time for deer season and my funds are very very low now.

snipecatcher

Rsilvers would hunt you down if he found out you put the 300 BLK in the Wildcat section. ;D

I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand rounds through my 10" AR15. It is an 8 twist. Shoots the 110 V-max's very well. It shoots consistent 1.25" groups at 100 yards with a 4x scope. Not bad considering the rifle and scope. The center dot in the scope is about 4 MOA. One problem that I've encountered is that with the seating stem in my Redding dies adjusted til it bottoms out, then backed out just a bit, I can only get about 0.2" of bullet in the case with the 110 V-max. It hasn't been a problem thus far, but that is the absolute deepest I can seat them.

I am achieving 2200 fps out of a 10" barrel. For a very efficient cartridge with decent punch out to 300 yards or so in a short barrel, it can't be beat. The biggest plus for me is that brass is very cheap to buy (converted from 5.56) or I can make it myself for free.

Regards,
    -Dan

snipecatcher

Forgot to mention the throat. There is no getting near the throat with the 110 V-max's. My bullets are seated within 0.08 of the ogive. You could probably touch the throat with a 150 RN bullet designed for the 30/30, but I really don't see the need.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by snipecatcher
    Rsilvers would hunt you down if he found out you put the 300 BLK in the Wildcat section. ;D
    ;D ;D ;D ;D
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Quote Originally Posted by trappst
    I'm in the process of starting a new project with a Encore pistol frame.
    If you are building on an Encore pistol frame then http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve/forums is the place to go. It has spread out into Strikers and XP100s but it is mostly a Encore/Contender place. Think of it as Savageshooters.com for TC.
    More shooting, less typing.