Thread: RING HEIGHT

ESSCEE

RING HEIGHT

How do I know what ring height will work for me other than trial and error? what dimensions do I need to know either on the rifle or the scope to determine ring height? I am looking to buy a scope and don't have any idea what rings to order with it.

thomae

Re: RING HEIGHT

I use Burris Signature Zee rings almost exclusively now. I have never had any problems with them. Of course, YMMV.
    Here is the link to a size chart they have.
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings1.html#2

I am sure other ring manufacturers have similar charts.

Also, check out this thread on this bulletin board:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,14068.0.html

Cheers,
    Thomae

Usually the limiting distance is the distance from the barrel to the edge of the objective (muzzle end) lens.

1. What is listed in the chart is the distance from the bottom of the scope tube to the bottom of the ring. Add to this number the vertical distance from the top of the barrel (at the point where the objective bell is) to the top of the mount base. (If you have a long straightedge, you can lay the edge on top of your mount base and extend it over the barrel to get this measurement.)

2. To see if your mount is high enough, take the outside diameter of the objective end of the scope, divide it in half. Then subtract half the tube diameter (usually 1 inch or 30 mm). The resulting distance will be the distance from the bottom of the scope tube in the middle to the bottom of the objective lens bell. If this distance is less than the distance you calculated in para 1, then you are good to mount your scope without hitting the barrel.

3. In some cases there can be other limiting factors (open sights still mounted on the barrel, bolt handles that smack into the scope, stuff like that...if that happens to you, you will need to wing it.

4. I see you are in AK. before you actually mount anything, see if you can "dry fit" everything without torquing down any bolts or scratching anything. That way, you can see if it fits and if not, perhaps return the mount for a higher one if it is still in new condition.

I hope that makes sense. If not, let me know. I can explain it differently, or perhaps there are others who can explain it better. (It's not rocket science, if you were here, I could certainly show you. )

All the best, and have a great 4th of July.
    Thomae

tell us what scope you are getting and what base you wanna use, and we'll most likely be able to steer you in the right direction for rings.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Team Savage

There is a help area on the midwayusa site but there is no option for angled bases.

ESSCEE

Thanks Thomae thats exactly what I was looking for

airaddict

ive hd no problem w dnz med mounts and up to simmons 44mm obj's with my savage 16. its not wearing a 40mm obj lupy cds scope and have plenty of room between the outside of the obj bell and the top of the barrel.

brian