Thread: Model16 FCSS.... 260

silverock

Model16 FCSS.... 260

Just got her set up and I absoluely love this rifle. However, I need some accuracy help.

Best I can do with factory ammo is 3" groups(completely unacceptable IMO). I have
    3 other factory savages that literally shout sub 1 inch groups with almost any ammo
    I feed them.

silverock

Re: Model16 FCSS.... 260

ok, so here is what I've done so far(same thing as all my new rifles). 1st I cleaned rifle out of the box.

With 140 gr core lokt I shot 1 round (pulled boresnake through) repeated 4 more times. Then cleaned again with Hoppes bore cleaner. Shot 5 more rounds, pulled snake through. 5 more(snake again) then 10 rounds. completely cleaned again. Then on to sighting in. First shot was on paper at 25yds. Moved out to 100 first shot was 4.5" high and 3" left, made the appropriate scope adjustment. Next shot looked perfect 2 inches high of the bullseye just like I like it. Shot 2 more to check group and I was unimpressed to say the least.

swapped to new target, also cleaned rifle, also swapped to 120gr federal fusion squeezed off 3 more and left with a group you could fit a coke can inside wihout touching any of the holes.

swapped to new target also cleaned rifle, also swapped to 140gr federal vital shock(sierra game king) squeezed off 3 more and left with a group the coke can barely touched the 3 holes.

cleaned the rifle again, checked scope, rings, and anything I could think of. Started over with the core lokts. Basically had the same results throughout the factory ammo again.

By this time it was 90 degrees outside and I was frustrated, so I called it quits for the day.

IMHO quit cleaning so much! Since you are shooting factory ammunition I wouldn't worry about small groups until you have tried other brands of factory stuff. Do your groups show a pattern?

jinx-)

can you check what date it was made, there should be stamp somewhere on the box ;-)
    this rifle was design to shoot 120 gr Nosler BT from Federal ammo, try them...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=177483

jinx-)

PM send

Basic Member

jinx-, can you share where that info came from that it was designed for the nosler 120gr ? Perhaps i can learn something new here about the 1:8, 120gr round working better than others, since at the moment that seems to be the case for my lwh .260 as well. blue blue

jinx-)

it came from Savage CS, when I had accuracy issue with my LRP in 260, I was told that's what they use to test their 260's, back then I was trying 140 gr Scenars ;D, either way 120 gr didn't work, barrel was junk, got replacement its headspace is not set correctly bolt hard to turn, but I'm not sending it back this time, going to set it myself.

Basic Member

Thanks, jinx-. blue

Basic Member

IMO and experience the Savage 16 FHSS is a very inaccurate platform. Sell it now and save yourself a lot of grief and Wasted ammo $.

silverock

Quote Originally Posted by possible
    IMO and experience the Savage 16 FHSS is a very inaccurate platform. Sell it now and save yourself a lot of grief and Wasted ammo $.
    Are you being serious, or is this a consensus opinion.

silverock

Quote Originally Posted by wbm
    IMHO quit cleaning so much! Since you are shooting factory ammunition I wouldn't worry about small groups until you have tried other brands of factory stuff. Do your groups show a pattern?
    only pattern I see is that the inaccuracy seem to be horizontal

Basic Member

I would call it serious as I have fired over 100 three shot groups with it and have found only one that will produce <1" moa at 100 yards. That one will shoot <1" 3 shot groups, 1" 5 shot groups and 10 shoty groups at 1.125". All other loads average about 1.500".

I would prefer to pay a $200. premium and get a Rem. Sendero that will shoot almost any reasonable load at less than 1" My 7mm STW will shoot 5 different loads into the same 1" group at 100 Yds.

My views are certainly not a consensus as many Savages are very "Rube Goldburg" accurate. The downside to them is most good Smiths wont touch them.

Basic Member

Sounds like Savage bashing to me. I have a 16FCSS in .223 that I&#39;m just learning about, it works fine. It seems to like 69gr ammo but does ok on 55, 62. Sub MOA with 69gr Fiocchi.

When I have accuracy problems, if the scope is properly and firmly mounted, I find most of my problems involve the Jerk behind the trigger. Eye position at the scope has been critical and the comb is too low for a consistent cheek weld. I have to use my off hand as a cheek rest. When I do, each string becomes more consistent with itself.

My main complaint is the 4-round magazine actually and easily holds 5 rounds and I&#39;m using up ammo faster

Uncle Jack

".....The downside to them is most good Smiths wont touch them."

Where did you come up with that off the wall "fact"?

uj

Basic Member

My views are certainly not a consensus as many Savages are very "Rube Goldburg" accurate. The downside to them is most good Smiths wont touch them.
    The UPSIDE is most good Smiths don&#39;t NEED to touch them because they already shoot as well as most other rifles. ;D

Basic Member

Here we go!

::)

Basic Member

uj
    That not so well known fact comes from
    OTTO Matyaka St. Louis, Mo.
    He makes Automatic match hand guns and rifle actions which, in my opinion, provides a pretty good basis to offer an opinion.
    My intent was not to bash Savage but my stupidity for spending $800. for one.
    In addition try to find an after market stock for one (Second Generation).

Basic Member

Otto Matyska, dude, and I&#39;ll bet he never offered such an opinion. I agree you were stupid if you spent $800 to buy one. That&#39;s the Manufacturer&#39;s Suggested Retail Price, Bud&#39;s is selling them for $644 delivered. You have a credibility problem.

Perhaps someone would like to check with Otto about his actual opinion instead of what I suspect is merely your ignorant libel: Okm Co Inc. 9401 Lavern Place. Saint Louis, MO 63123-4535, 314-638-3327. No professional gunsmith is going to trash talk a firearm manufacturer in the manner you describe.

This thread is not about you, try as you might. That&#39;s Troll talk.

Basic Member

Oh no, ... not another one! Guys how many times have we been told about leaving the toilet seat lid up? You just never know what will crawl out of there. blue

silverock

Update... Been really busy, sorry about the delay in updating. Today, I took stock off, backed the trigger down to 2.5lbs, reinstalled stock(accustock per recommendations on this forum). Mirror clean bore. So I settled in at 100yds.(Decided I was going to shoot 5 shots, also note barrel was allowed to cool between every shot) First 2 shots were bullseye literally in the same hole. I&#39;m smiling at this point. 3rd shot, was 1 inch high and 2.5 inches right of 1st two shots. 4th shot was off the target (who knows where) 5th shot was 5 inches left of 3rd shot, or about 2.5 to 3 inches left and 1/2 inch high of bullseye. After shooting I cleaned bore again it was loaded with copper fouling. On a side note in between shots with the .260. I shot a 5 shot group you could cover with a nickel with my american classic .243. Any thoughts?

Basic Member

The fact that the first two are in the same hole tells me that the rifle is fine, and that you may doing something i go through sometimes with a new rifle. For me i&#39;m simply trying to hard to make it work, when i do this i can shoot my cheap model 11 .243 at the same time and do well.

I hate to admit this but i am doing the same thing right now with my new .260 lwh. The first two will touch and then the group may spread out, i&#39;m trying to make it a target rifle, ... it&#39;s not a target rifle, ... it&#39;s a hunting rifle.

Thats my two cents worth, you just have to quit fighting and it will work fine, for that matter so do i. blue

Team Savage

I would try out a different scope. Even the high dollar scopes can and do go bad. I was having the same problem you described trying to work up a load for a new Shaw 260 barrel on a Savage lightweight build. Turned out the scope was not holding zero. Every OCW test I ran ended up giving a 2" to 3" groups @ 100 yards, no matter what powder or bullet I tried. I thought it couldn&#39;t be the scope, because it worked just fine on my .308 last fall. I assume you have also checked the barrel and tang to make sure they are free floated. And a 1:8 twist should stabilize most of the available 6.5mm bullets.

I have noticed with my 260 Shaw 22" barrel with 1:9 twist, you do have to find a sweet spot with each bullet to get sub MOA groups. The most consistent results with Barnes 120gr, Hornady 129gr and Sierra 140gr bullets has been with H4350 followed by IMR4831 with RL-17 being somewhat erratic. This morning I did a OCW test with the 120gr Sierra ProHunter, H4350 and RL-17. This is the first time RL-17 has bested (.34"), H4350 (.55"). So I think I&#39;ve found my 120gr bullet and load. I&#39;m going to give some Berger 130gr a try this week, since the Hornady 129gr SST accuracy node I found at 100 yds did not hold up when I move out to 200 yds. Bottom line, every load I&#39;ve tried through my barrel shot 1" to 1.5" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds until I hit the sweet spot for that bullet and powder. It may be challenging to find a factory load that matches the sweet spot for your rifle.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    The UPSIDE is most good Smiths don&#39;t NEED to touch them because they already shoot as well as most other rifles. ;D
    ^^^On top of that why let a gunsmith do something you can do yourself?

jinx-)

that&#39;s how my 260 grouped at 100 yards, I send it back, Savage agreed that barrel was crap.

[img width=347 height=450]http://imageshack.us/m/41/8263/hundredyard3.jpg[/img]

silverock

ok, finished swaping scopes took off the new minox za5, put on zeiss conquest...
    will try it out and update later