Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lever pics

PlainsHunter

My 99 Takedown

Here's a few pics of my 99 Takedown in 30-30

rlott
    I like to find old 99's in need of rescue.

.243 99A. Apparently the victim of someone in a steroid fueled rage who didn't know that the safety locked the lever. It took me a couple weeks of tinkering but I finally got the safety slide bent back into proper shape.

.300 99EG. Project gun. Apparently the victim of multiple side mount scope experiments gone wrong. It had 9 (yes, nine) extra holes in the reveiver, plus a couple of hesitaiton marks. Brazed the holes shut, shortened the barrel to 20.5”, crowned the muzzle, installed a banded front sight and custom no-drill scope mount. Finished with Duracoat matte black.

.303 1899A. This one is all original. I like to take it to the range every now and again and drive the mega-magnum/AR/AK crowd crazy by shooting better groups at 100yds.

Rups63

.300 99EG. Project gun. Apparently the victim of multiple side mount scope experiments gone wrong. It had 9 (yes, nine) extra holes in the reveiver, plus a couple of hesitaiton marks. Brazed the holes shut, shortened the barrel to 20.5”, crowned the muzzle, installed a banded front sight and custom no-drill scope mount. Finished with Duracoat matte black.
    where did you find that no-drill scope mount? How does it attach?

Looks like a Lightfoot mount.

They attach with the two tang screw holes on the upper tang and use the rear dovetail on the barrel.
    Savage- "never say never".

rlott
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Looks like a Lightfoot mount.

They attach with the two tang screw holes on the upper tang and use the rear dovetail on the barrel.
    Yep. Lightfoot is the man. Very well made & they fit like a glove. He's making me one for my 1899A now.

Fixed all the older image links from before the move so they're displaying now.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

rlott
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker6x6 View Post
    First Post- Thought this would be the place to "introduce" myself.
    My name is Ray and I live in NC. I have a 1940 .300 Savage Model 99. It has a Pachmayr "low-swing" scope-mount with Unertl 4x Hawk mounted. The sling is an Uncle-Mikes.. but I'm not sure when it was added. It was on the gun when I got it (used). This has been my deer-rifle since 1977. While it's no collectors dream, it's in very nice condition. I'm just beginning to get into these guns.. and found this site only yesterday.

I was interested in this gun, because my Grandfather and Mother both hunted with them. I remember taking my first deer in 1973 with Grandad's, in Titusville, Pa. It was only a 4-pointer... but was probably my most memorable. My mother took a dressed 220lb 10-point from on top our garage @ 305 paces (approx 220yrds) with her's. Grandad bought her rifle for her 16th birthday.
    When I get back home (Erie, Pa), I will try to get serials and more info on each of their guns.
    I also have a Stevens Model 311 series H, 16ga side-by-side... that I got for my 14th or 15th birthday. It's in good condition over-all, but I really scratched up the stock and forearm small-gaming with it (kids! no respect for their stuff!)..

To return back on-topic.. here's a couple pictures of my Lever.

I would like to find the correct rear site for it...

Ray
    Ray - The EG in my previous post looked almost exactly like yours before I started working on it.

I still have the rear sight which I don't need because the new scope mount attaches in the rear sight dovetail, and, the original sight would be too low for the new front sight. If you want it shoot me a PM.

mooshoo

my savage 99

here is a pic of my 30/30

SAVAGE099

SAVAGE099

guard099
    Last edited by J.Baker; 10-05-2014 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Fixed image link

C Broad Arrow
    My one and only Savage 99 in 30-30.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Rdot
    [IMG][/IMG]
    My 1965 Savage 99F in .308 with factory Bosch and Lomb Balvar 8A. They can keep the crappy synthetic guns. This one will continue to be my choice of hunting rifle! I do believe it will soon wear a Leupold VX3 though.

Basic Member
    99 (L on the receiver) (H on the lever boss). Rebarreled to 358 Winchester. I have no idea what it was originally.

Around 25 years ago, a coworker asked me to haul a lawn mower to his grandfather's house so he could do some spring clean-up for him as he was in very poor health. I stayed and helped with all of the yard work. Even found a patch or morels around his pine trees and brought to the house for him. He was thrilled with the find. Before leaving he started talking about his elk hunting trips many years ago and he insisted that I look at his favorite elk rifle. I told him that I thought it was beautiful and that I would love to go elk hunting someday. I was saddened to hear of his passing about a year later. My coworker then floored me when he said that his grandfather wanted me to have his rifle as nobody in the family hunted and it should go to someone who appreciated it. Words cannot express how much it really is appreciated. Right up there with my late father's guns.

It was brought out of a 15 year hibernation for some shooting today only to have the Weaver K6 fall apart. The plastic around the ocular lens split and the lens just flops around. Now to find a place to do repairs since this rifle would not be the same without this scope.

Last edited by bvil; 01-18-2015 at 08:40 PM.

Cool story.

Ironsight Inc does all the old Weaver repairs on scopes, yours would be about $85 to fix.

Elwood51

1922 Model 99 300 Savage

1967 Savage 99E .243 20" barrel
    Lyman All-American scope

1966 Savage 99E .308 20" barrel
    Weaver Classic Extreme 1.5-4.5x24 scope

The two 99s and a 1949 Marlin 336 SC w/Williams aperture sight

Thanks for taking a look!
    Gary

Basic Member
    My 1920 99 takedown in 22 Savage High Power. Finish is worn but nobody has taken steel wool to it, it has a lot of character. All original with the exception of maybe the rear sight and being tapped for a scope mount. All of the stock pieces have the serial number stamped on them.

Basic Member

Two 250-3000 Savages - 99T and 99H

No pics added since November, so I'll put up two 250-3000 Savages I picked up recently, both from 1935. The first is a 99T, the second a 99H Barrel Band Carbine.

man that is a nice T I hade a nice barrel band carbine in 303 wish I had it back.

My new old 99

I am new to this site and wanted to post a couple of pictures of my 99 that I just bought this year. I have always wanted one and this year I had a chance to going deer hunting with a firearm for the first time in 47yrs of my life. I choose the 99 for my weapon.
    I found it in an old gun shop that I have been going to for years. He used to have a whole line of them. This year when I went there, their was only one left. This one....
    When I picked if up, I bought it instantly. It came with a redfield scope mount and a lyman peep sight. I know it originally was not tapped for a scope but I didn't care.
    I like to think the wear on this gun was from the previous owner. The sight changes were done as he got older in age. first the open sights, then to a scope.
    So here is my first deer with a rifle and using a 99 no less.
    I know it's not a giant....But when I saw him all I saw was horns. The way I see it...the hunt and the meat in my freezer is my trophy.
    I realize people have not posted on this tread in awhile. hopefully someone will add some more pictures.

I don't know how to post a pic on this page.

You can try imgur.com now that photobucket got greedy.

my model 99. I have loved the look and feel of the 99's from the first time I held one. I wanted one that hadn't been drilled for a scope and was extremely fortunate to find this old girl a few years ago.
    She was drilled and tapped at the factory on the tang but that was it.
    Born in 53 in 300 savage.

Hi, guys! I am helping a relative who has the sad duty to clear a family estate. Any idea what this one is worth? I'd like to buy it, but need a fair market offer to make (or I will never hear the end of it). It's a 99 -- I think an R model, but not sure -- in .300 Savage. SN is 3912xx, so it should be a 1940. I can't find a scratch on it anywhere: wood, blue, casehardening are all perfect. There is some blue wear on the corners of the buttplate; some slight discoloration on the bolt/slide as shown. The flat part of the muzzle (not the barrel sides!) is almost white. It's wearing a Weaver K3 60B in Weaver rings.

Any help on determining the exact model, and a fair value, would be great! Thanks in advance!

(sorry, having some problems with the pix!)

Thats a sweet pre-war R. Say $750-$800, alot more if it wouldn't have been D&T'd for that scope.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast