Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lever pics

Skunk

Re: Lever pics

Good Grief those are some beautiful 99s!! My Grandpa had a bunch of them and I've wanted one ever since.

Bull

OFF TOPIC: Skunk, You have a photo of USS WASP (CV-7) as your avatar. My father was aboard her when that photo was taken. I'd appreciate hearing from you.

ON TOPIC: I joined this group on advice from a Savage shooter in our gun club, the Pascagoula Shooting Club. He said I can get good pointers on my Dad's old Savage 99 here or nowhere. From one photo I've seen I think it is a 99R, but can't be sure. I've personally never seen one exactly like it in person. The description is as follows:

I recv'd the rifle back from my sister today, (03/30/2008),and got my first look at it in some six years. It has accrued a few more dints and minor dings but overall still looks pretty darned good. The bluing still looks really good. I took a few photos of the rifle right after unpacking it. Still has all the grime on it. I'll clean it up some over the next few days and may even find some ammo for it. The old .300 Savage stuff isn't as easy to find locally as it once was! (A new set of dies are in order, too.) I know Dad bought the gun in California in the early 1950's and to number the mule deer, elk, white-tail and other game, (including pronghorn), that were cleanly taken over the years would be impossible. I can say that one moose and six bears were killed with the rifle. One bear was a cinnamon-phase taken by Dad that squared 8.75 feet.

The rifle has a inch barrel and appears to have a steel rotor rather than bronze, an integral front ramp w/ brass bead front site, heavy fore-end, steel shotgun butt-plate, pistol-grip, hand-cut checkering, & the lever-mounted safety. The lever was/is color case-hardened and the tang is factory drilled & tapped for peep sights. Oh! there is a "cocked action" indicator that rises from the top of the action. Serial number is 6 digits beginning with '694'. Simply marked "Savage 99" on the left side of the action and ".300 Savage" on the left side of the barrel. The right side of the barrel is printed in very fine lettering "Hi Pressure Steel - Proof Tested".

Here are some photos...

I'll likely spend the next couple of days thoroughly cleaning the old girl and getting her ready for next deer season. If all goes well my son will be the fourth of my family to take game with this rifle. Can't wait! :)

Any info you guys can forward will be greatly appreciated!

Bull, out!

99trix

1953 savage 99R. Rear sight has been changed, not sure about the sling eyes it is hard to tell in the pictures. It would have come from the factory drilled and tapped with sling eyes. Steel rotor are common, might even be case colored. I have the twin in my safe 694,7xx 1953 99R case colored rotor. Great shooting rifles!

Sling eyes look legit from what I can see.
    Savage- "never say never".

JCalhoun

Hey Bull, glad to see you made it here! :)

Bull

Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun
    Hey Bull, glad to see you made it here! :)
    Thanks, Jody! :)

One post and my question was answered, but I'll hang around anyways! 1953 sounds dead on to me. (I wasn't born until 1962 when Dad had moved back home to South Carolina.) He bought the Savage (and a Marlin 39A on the same day) somewhere in the vicinity of San Francisco, CA. Those eyes are the factory installed numbers. The rear sight was removed the same day and a steel-tubed Weaver K4 with a post and crosshair reticle was installed. The lens shattered in the scope just before Dad died and was never replaced. The rear sight that is on it was meant to be a temp. measure. Will be VERY temp, too. Now that I've got the rifle back...

I'm thinking about either a Marble's tang mounted sight, or a Weaver K6.

Meanwhile, I located 200 once-fired brass that I'm going to pick up tomorrow. Then I've just got to get a set of dies and a couple of hundred 150 grainers...

::) It's always something, isn't it?

Bull, out.

Theres a guy up here in Canada that rebuilds the old Weaver scopes if you wanna go the route of fixin dads old scope back up.

DINO212

Just picked up this 1951 99EG in 300 Savage for a whopping $120.00!

My Savages in 300 Savage.

hk500usa@hotmail.com

I just have one Savage 99. Got it about a month ago and just got and put the scope that I wanted on it. It's a very mint 1958 99EG .308 Win. with an equally mint Redfield Widefield 2 3/4 USA scope. Might even take it deer hunting next year. Nah, it's too clean. ;D

99trix

You might only have one but it's nice one! Hard to find caliber in an EG. But can you stop at just one! ;D

hk500usa@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by 99trix
    You might only have one but it's nice one! Hard to find caliber in an EG. But can you stop at just one! ;D
    Probably not, I'd like to get a .30-30 carbine and/or a .243 Featherweight. I would be nice if they would have a small amount of wear so I could actually use them to hunt with! ;D

ZX10Aviator

my 99a in 250-3000

milotalon

Below is my 1949 99EG of the .300 Savage variety with Weaver K2.5 of same vintage. She's a shooter but it is sure getting hard to find .300 Savage cartridges. Looks like I am going to need to start reloading because I sure love to shoot this rifle.

BTW - Great site you have here and y'all got some beautiful rifles. - Steve

99trix

Welcome to the site! Still no trouble getting 300 sav here in Canada. The local Canadian Tire store carries it here in my home town.

Baker6x6

First Post- Thought this would be the place to "introduce" myself.
    My name is Ray and I live in NC. I have a 1940 .300 Savage Model 99. It has a Pachmayr "low-swing" scope-mount with Unertl 4x Hawk mounted. The sling is an Uncle-Mikes.. but I'm not sure when it was added. It was on the gun when I got it (used). This has been my deer-rifle since 1977. While it's no collectors dream, it's in very nice condition. I'm just beginning to get into these guns.. and found this site only yesterday.

I was interested in this gun, because my Grandfather and Mother both hunted with them. I remember taking my first deer in 1973 with Grandad's, in Titusville, Pa. It was only a 4-pointer... but was probably my most memorable. My mother took a dressed 220lb 10-point from on top our garage @ 305 paces (approx 220yrds) with her's. Grandad bought her rifle for her 16th birthday.
    When I get back home (Erie, Pa), I will try to get serials and more info on each of their guns.
    I also have a Stevens Model 311 series H, 16ga side-by-side... that I got for my 14th or 15th birthday. It's in good condition over-all, but I really scratched up the stock and forearm small-gaming with it (kids! no respect for their stuff!)..

To return back on-topic.. here's a couple pictures of my Lever.

I would like to find the correct rear site for it...

Ray

Interesting that someone added the white line spacers in it as well. It's a model EG.

Sometimes the rear sights find their way to Ebay but an old gun shop might have some laying around as well, I'd try them for a better price than what their selling for on Ebay if you have a couple old smiths around your place.

Baker6x6

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog
    Interesting that someone added the white line spacers in it as well. It's a model EG.
    When looking through pics of all the 99's.. I don't see any of the white spacers. However.. on all (3) of our 99's.. the spacers are there. They were bought at different times and different places.

Sometimes the rear sights find their way to Ebay but an old gun shop might have some laying around as well, I'd try them for a better price than what their selling for on Ebay if you have a couple old smiths around your place.
    I'll check that... thanks!

TxJL

Wow !

I just got my 1st 99F today.. Can anyone tell me the best site to research Date of Man, research on the "shot counter", etc?

I can date it, p.m. me the serial number.

woodsman416

Here's my Savage 99 in .300 Sav.

dmd2375

Charly B

i have a 243 savage lever action serial # A341415 any idea how old? my brother gave it to my 10yr old son! life isnt fair

99trix

DOM 1969

AFFireguy

My only Savage rifle. 99EG (I think) 250-3000. Stumbled into it by luck on consignment at a gun shop from the estate of the original owner. It's pretty much like new don't think he ever used it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast