Thread: Axis 223 model number

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    JamesD

Axis 223 model number

I just recently purchased a Axis 223 and for some reason the part number on the box does not exist. I looked all over the net even on the Savage website and it is not a valid number. It is marked on the barrel Axis 223 but why can I not find the correct part number? The number on the box says 19046. Anyone have this issue? I'm just trying to find out exactly what I have. It came with the scope mounts on it but no scope so I know it is not a XP.

Thanks, James

Herman

Re: Axis 223 model number

I'm not sure about a part number, but you will find the serial number stamped on the back of the action, opposite side of the bolt.

JamesD

Quote Originally Posted by Herman
    I'm not sure about a part number, but you will find the serial number stamped on the back of the action, opposite side of the bolt.
    What will that tell me? Also another thing I found is that this magazine holds 5 rounds and not 4 like advertised. So basically it is a 5+1 instead of a 4+1. Every listing I see mentions it as a 4+1.

James

thomae

For the Model number, go to http://savagearms.com/firearms/models/ and click on "centerfire" on the left side.
    That will open a drop down menu.
    Click on "Axis Series - Previously "Edge"" and select your model.
    The Savage SKU (Model number) will be on the page that opens up.
    For example the basic Savage Edge in .223 is SKU 19220.
    All the best,

DoubleUp

You can put 5 cartridges for 223 in the mag, but it is prone to jamming with 5.

Herman

Quote Originally Posted by JamesD
    Quote Originally Posted by Herman
    What will that tell me? Also another thing I found is that this magazine holds 5 rounds and not 4 like advertised. So basically it is a 5+1 instead of a 4+1. Every listing I see mentions it as a 4+1.

James
    It will give you the number to give Savage when you call them to get the SKU.

However, if you have a black stock, black barrel, .223 that did not come with a scope, the SKU would be 19220

JamesD

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp
    You can put 5 cartridges for 223 in the mag, but it is prone to jamming with 5.
    Really? Well five rounds fit in the magazine easily. I did not even have to force the 5th round. Cycled rounds through it and it fed fine.

James

Herman

Mine in .223 cycles 5 rounds in the mag just fine as well.

DoubleUp

The operative word was "prone" and may also vary with the type of bullet. Also depends on whether shooting factory loads with a shorter coal or handloads which are often loaded longer. Glad it works in your rifle combination.

JamesD

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleUp
    The operative word was "prone" and may also vary with the type of bullet. Also depends on whether shooting factory loads with a shorter coal or handloads which are often loaded longer. Glad it works in your rifle combination.
    Well I took it to the range last week. I put 75 rounds through it and every time put 5 rounds in the magazine with zero issues. Worked flawlessly. These are factory loads BTW, PMC ammo to be precise ;D

James

RWCshooter

Add me to that list, last weekend tried 5 rounds in the mag. Used both factory loads (Federal and some stuff called Hotshot), and some handloads I was trying out, had no issues at all. All fed and fired okay, I guess we're lucky like that...

dacaur

Well, since its the same mag depth for all calibers, that makes sense.... smaller .223 rounds will fit more in the same space as larger caliber rounds....