Thread: Shilen prefit chambers???

catfish

Shilen prefit chambers???

Has anyone gotten a specific tight neck barrel chambered from shilen and actually measured it?
    Im wondering if i get a .250 neck if it will come out actually around 251???
    PTG list reamer dimensions as +.0004 not + or -, and with a thenth or 2 slop from a reamer bushing it could easily make .001 oversized.
    Or what fired brass measures on your tight neck chamber also?

Varminteer

Re: Shilen prefit chambers???

Does Shilen offer tight neck chambering? You provide the reamer to them? I have checked the neck diameter of a few chambers using gage pins taped to the end of a pencil.

Basic Member

I sent 2 dummy rounds, a letter pointing out that I wanted the bbl chambered to that length, called to verify and it still got missed and was even on the receipt- chamber to 2 dummmy rounds provided. I am thinking that is the exception vs what is standard operating practice there, but none the less, I borowed gages from a guy in PA (Im in NC) got the bbl on and headspaced, sent the gages back w/ some money to cover the shipping, etc. then when I was using my stony point gage so begin load development a month later, discovered that I had a very on spec 100% SAMMI chamber, including length, which put the long VLD tips down in my powder space.
    Mr Hull called me offered to have me ship my rifle, after I took my loctited on scope base/ rings/ scope off, etc. and they would fix it, but I declined due to the potential for other issues. I appreciated the effort and will buy another Shilen bbl., but it didn't come out the way I wanted it to. so their chambers in my experience are right on to SAMMI Specs

Trent

The only way to answer this is to call Shilen. They have the reamers, and they do the chambering. They have SAAMI reamers and tight neck reamers (listed in their site).