Thread: converting LH stock to RH

airaddict

converting LH stock to RH

hey all

just wondering if it will work to convert a LH short action stock to a RH action. other than the bolt cutout is everything else the same? i know i may have to do some fine tuning to the ejection port area, but as long as the action screw spacing is the same i assume everything else is the same? any light shed on this will help. Thanks.

brian

Uncle Jack

Re: converting LH stock to RH

What stock is it? It may be best to sell it as is and just buy yourself a RH one. There are always people here looking for left hand stuff, myself included.

uj

airaddict

well its not a stock i currently have. i ask cuz i always see lots of nice factory model 14 stocks in left hand on gunbroker which go for around $75 starting bids which isnt to bad since its already inlet for bottom metal as ii would like to keep my HFP. i dont see to many RH ones that go for decent prices like that. i may just bite the bullet and get a boyds thumbhole and get on the SSS waiting list to have it inlet for bottom metal.

brian

Team Savage

As far as the action inlet, right and left hand are the same. Just the bolt handle cut is on the opposite side. Find the stock cut for your bottom metal and go from there. Color match on the plug will be your only problem but if it's a composite, paint it.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

Converting from one side to the other makes them weak in the wrist area because of the bolt handle cuts. Even if you fill it, eventually it will crack or break.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage

Converting the bolt cut from one side to the other makes them weak in the wrist area? ???
    I'am figuring Fred probably knows one heck of a "lot" more about that then I ever will.
    All I know is if it's "laminated" it's tough as nails and hard to cut down even with a belt sander.
    Maybe weaker if it's a solid wood sporter style or even a composit stock because it's thinner in that area? And maybe it depends more on the type of use it gets?
    I guess I'll have to keep an eye on mine and if it ever shows a crack or brakes I'll know for sure.

airaddict

ive been emailing a guy on gunbroker and he says he has model 14 stock in the classic and euro w/ the cheek piece in RH so i wont have to butcher it up. if the price is right i may take the plunge on one of these since they r inlet for the HFP already. worse come to worse , if i dont like it i can try to sell it on here to fund a nice thumbhole laminate. anything will be betterr than my accustock. i dont care for the feel of the synthetic. they r stiff as heck but very fat do to the aluminum rail inside.

brian

Team Savage

And if what Fred says is correct about the stock getting weak and braking or cracking in the wrist area, consider installing a steel pin in the grip area. That should take care of any weakness problems? Just a thought, Mike.

Basic Member

I have one laying on my counter at the moment that is practically in 2 pieces. It is a laminated stock. The filler plug on the un-used side came unglued because it is subject to expansion rather than compression.
    The model 14 stocks are weaker than any laminate, that's the reason for the crosspins. I had a perfect model 14 stock break when it slid over leaning against a bench. You guessed it....right through the wrist.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

airaddict

hmm.....well i have a guy from gunbroker w a model 14 euro classic thats asking $115 to my door. i thinks thats ok considering savage wants 150+ for that same stock. i think the main selling point for me is that its already inlet for the HFP.
    im still tossing around the idea of a laminate and having it machined for HFP. i really would like a thumbhole but im unsure of the current turn around time from SSS. im sure its quite a long wait list.
    so its either $115 for the euro classic and i can use my bottom metal or $115 or so for a boyds FT and have to buy extra parts for the blind mag and try to sell off my HFP and accustock.

decisions decisions.......