Thread: Bush Firing Pin Hole for 308 bolt-face?

jinx-)

Bush Firing Pin Hole for 308 bolt-face?

I think small primers usually use small primer firing pin, which is slightly larger then firing pin used for large rifle primers. Small rifle primers used with many calibers which utilize 308 bolt face, like 308 palma, 6.5x47, 6BR etc. Not sure if its mistake, but on my rifle it has large primer firing pin, which creating craters on primers when using mild loads. I will contact Savage to find out if I got wrong bolt-head in my rifle, but if its how they make them for small primers then I would rather replace firing pin. To install small primer firing ping, the firing pin hole needs to be enlarged. So, anyone done it or is there easy way to do this?
    I can only compare to my rifle in 223 and its Rem 700 and its firing pin much larger then what I have for firing pin in Savage. So maybe I'm wrong, just don't like pressure signs on primers.

jinx-)

Bush Firing Pin Hole pin for 308 bolt-face?

here is few articles how to deal with this problem if you converting to 308 Lapua 6.5x47 or 6BR

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...mer-cratering/

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...r-performance/

Basic Member

Re: Bush Firing Pin Hole for 308 bolt-face?

jinx-) if you read what you linked to you will find it suggest a smaller firing pin and a bushing to take up the excess space around the firing pin for the small primer, not a larger firing pin.
    The biggest thing is removing the excess space around the firing pin more than the size of the pin. Cratering comes from the primer flowing into the space around the firing pin. Speaking for myself i like to be able to tell when i am getting in the excess pressure region.

Gary
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)