Thread: SA magnum boltheand with plunger style ejectors.............do they exist?

SA magnum boltheand with plunger style ejectors.............do they exist?

Really do not like the fixed style of ejectors found on my short magnum rifle so I swapped the control round feed bolthead for a push round feed on a 7mm WSM. The only issue is that the bolt head is for a long action and not the short action it is currently on.

I know the length of the bolthead is a tad bit longer so the barrel can not screw into the action are far. Does it really make a difference?

If so, did Savage ever make short action magnum bolthead with the plunger style ejectors?

TIA

tyler.woodard04

Re: SA magnum boltheand with plunger style ejectors.............do they exist?

my action (bought as a short action sporter with WSM bolt face as the action only) has a plunger. i was expecting a controlled feed with external ejector but was surprised and glad is came as a push/plunger set up. bolt head has 1858 stamped on it.

Basic Member

The 1858 should be the last 4 no. of your serial number.

tyler.woodard04

you are correct sir did not know that. the part number of my action is 18521. i know savage does not sell that one anymore only the target actions but you may be able to call them and get the part number for the bolt head used in that action package. the lugs on this head measure .558 front to back if that helps any.

Basic Member

Yes Savage starting making push feed heads for them I think when they switched to the center feed magazine. A couple years ago I had a 16BGH in 300WSM and it was a center feed mag, with a push feed bolt head. I currently have a new model 12VLP in 300WSM and it also has a push feed head. The magnum bolt heads for the short actions have a shorter stem on them than the ones for the long actions. The locking lugs are also thicker on the WSM's as opposed to a magnum head for a long action.