Thread: Model 12 LRP, weight of stock

Trent

Model 12 LRP, weight of stock

I am hoping I can talk one of you guys into weighing your stock for me. :chin:

Tomorrow I am ordering a Savage Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmore and I am a little worried about the weight. They list it as 11 pounds. I need to get this down to 10lbs 2oz with scope and rings(NRA rules). I already have an HS Precision lightweight stock to put it in, and I will also be shedding the bottom metal and box magazine. I'll be running this as a single shot. (This is going to be a dedicated silhouette competition rifle)

I am REALLY hoping that the stock weighs at least 3lbs, maybe a little closer to 4lbs. My HS Precision stock is right at 2lbs, and I'll be running a Leupold 24x fixie (14oz). If I have to I will cut off two inches of the 26" barrel to get it to meet specs but it would be nice if I can avoid that because I will be selling the barrel once my Shilen barrel comes in (7 month wait). I'll also most likely be selling the LRP stock right off the get go when it comes in.

So... could I talk any of you fellas into weighing your LRP stock for me? (With bottom metal and box mag) I would REALLY appreciate it. It'll give me a head start on planning my build while I am waiting on Savage to ship me my rifle.

Thanks!! Trent

Basic Member

Re: Model 12 LRP, weight of stock

Wouldn't you rather have the weight of the barreled action instead since you already have a stock, and probably the scope and rings? I can certainly put mine on the scale for you tomorrow, but it is only accurate to 1/2lb. I don't have any thing other than a bathroom scale to measure with right at the moment.

Trent

I would love the weight of the barreled action, but I didn't want to inconvenience anyone to the point of removing their scope and rings. If you are willing to do that, that would be awesome! I'll take either way though. If Savage's website is correct and the rifle weighs 11 pounds, then I can just subtract the weight of the stock and that should tell me somewhat accurately what the barreled action weighs.

Basic Member

Sure not a problem on the stock weight. The best I can do for you is tomorrow afternoon though.

Basic Member

My Lyman digital trigger pull gauge says average of 3lbs 6 oz and the bathroom scale says 3lbs 5 oz. That is the stock, screws, bottom metal, and magazine, and trigger guard.

Trent

Thanks a lot 319!!!

Just got off the phone with my contact at Savage... wait time is 21 weeks!!! Ouch. 5 months?? That sucks. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll find one leaning in the corner some where. ::) Guess I won't be shooting this in my big match in Missouri this August.

7 month wait from Shilen for a match barrel. Blah.

Trent

Just weighed my HS Precision stock and I am at 2 lbs 12.8oz. I can remove a little more weight by taking out the little bit of lead in there, and removing the two coats of heavy enamel paint that is on it.

It is going to be tough getting in under the 10lb 2oz limit with that 26" tube on there. I may end up having 2" machined off the tip of the barrel to make it. Maybe I'll get lucky and my Shilen barrel with come in quicker than they estimated.

319, your LRP is in .260Rem? Maybe you could do me one more favor?? :P Can you measure from the muzzle back to where the fluting starts? It looks like maybe around 3" in the Savage photo. If I do have to have some length cut off I don't want to get into the fluting.

Basic Member

Mine is a 260,sorry, but you are not going to get 3" from muzzle to flutes. No problem on the weight and stuff, glad to help!
    [img width=600 height=448]http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad288/319Savage260/muzzle2flutes.jpg[/img]

Trent

319, that is awesome. Thank you for the help! Looks like if I knocked it down by 2" then there would still be about 1/4" of flat before the flutting starts. That would still be acceptable.
    I am placing my orders with Shilen and Savage at the same time. It will be a slow race as to which comes first. If Shilen comes through first then I can avoid altering the factory barrel altogether.

Thanks for the help man!!

Basic Member

No problem, good luck!

Trent

Well, I was able to remove the 1/2lb (8oz) of lead from my HS Silhouette stock. That brings me down to about 2lbs 6oz. That is a 1lb weight reduction from the weight of the factory rifle and will put me at 10lbs without a scope. So... I still have another pound to lose. I can trim another 6oz from the stock. This could get fun. :-\ (I thought the factory LRP stock would be heavier and a simple stock swap would get me under max weight)

I don't think removing 2" of barrel is going to shed a full pound of weight.

Are any of the aftermarket bolt handles lighter than factory? Maybe I can track down some titanium action screws as well. This is a game of ounces.