Thread: Replacing stock on a 110 w/Boyd's FT???

Jeatwell_67

Replacing stock on a 110 w/Boyd's FT???

Is it so simple that even a caveman can do it???

Hope so, 'cause this caveman just took the plunge on one... ;D

Anything I should do/be aware of when I go to change out the old with the new stock?

Basic Member

Re: Replacing stock on a 110 w/Boyd's FT???

If your replacing a plastic stock you'll need new action screws. You can get them from Savage or SSS but most on here
    just buy longer 1/4x28 bolts and make their own.

Jeatwell_67

Yes, I had read that on the Boyd's site and also ordered the longer action screws from Savage.

Any advice on removing the mag box from the old stock?

Jeatwell_67

OK, got the stock in...very nice, Forest Camo, thumb-hole stock. Mag box fits nicely and action is a perfect, drop-in fit. The only issue I seem to have is the trigger guard...the original plastic one does not fit.

Will the steel trigger guard from Brownell's or Midway fit without any modification? Hoping to not mod anything if I don't absolutely have to...

airaddict

i saw they were on sale for $84 and took the plunge on one as well! now i have to get my accustock sold off to help pay for it. prob should have been done the other way around but we are talking about a savage here....ha.

jeat,

i have talked to boyds and stockys about trigger guard fit and both have said since savage makes 5 diff trigger guards, most are very similar but with very subtle changes, they inlet for rough fit and most will drop in but some may require some sanding to get it in. but you might as well upgrade to a nice metal one instead of the cheapo plastic ones. JMHO.

brian b

Jeatwell_67

Thanks for the info Brian. After I posted, I went ahead and took a chance on the steel trigger guard. Hopefully, it will drop right in like the rest of the gun did. But if it doesn't, I guess I'll have to do a little modifying to make it right...we'll see in a few days.

Jeatwell_67

Got the trigger guard in today...perfect fit. Put the screws in and attached the scope and its ready for the range.

airaddict

i finally got mine, finish is great and it shoulders great.

i tried my bottom release trigger guard and it doesnt fit. only by a hair though. so i gotta get sand paper and dowels now or pull out my dremel. it seems like its mostly the release parts that are stopping it from dropping in. my barreled action is at the gunsmith and i prob wont get it back till the end of july since the gunsmith is out on vacation. i may go pick it up and take it to another cuuz im impatient like that.....lol.

brian

Jeatwell_67

Finally got to the range for some sighting in and shooting.

Bore sighted at 25 yards...blew out the bullseye out with 4 rounds.

Moved out to 100 yards...a few minor adjustments to the scope and this thing was ready for shooting/hunting.

After punching holes in a few paper targets at 100, most groups were 1.5" or so with Winchester ammo, I decided to "stretch it out" and took aim at the 200 yard gongs...money!!!

Can't wait to take aim on a big buck this deer season...just hope I don't wear out my barrel before then! LOL

I love how much control I have over the rifle with the thumbhole stock and recoil is much less on the shoulder than with my X-bolt with standard wood stock. Sure wished Boyd's made a thumbhole version for the X-bolt.

HogFan4Ever

Pictures???????? ;D You guys are killing me, got to see what it looks like.

MDHOGGER

As long as I got some Ross FT owners here, who among you placed Savage Varmint contour barrels in your stock. If so was there adequate wood left at the end of the fore-ends side rails? In other words did the side rail sand down to a taper or did it still have some flat surface remaining. Thanks Bill

Jeatwell_67

I'll try to get some pics posted soon.

Sorry, I'm no help in regards to the varmint contour, mine is a sporter.

Basic Member

I've done two for varmint barrels. There is little to nothing of a flat at the top of forearm.

MDHOGGER

Thanks thirty06 sounds like I could do a medium to heavy sporter contour and do fine. Jeatwell_67 was your sporter contour the Savage standard or Magnum Sporter contour what length barrel and muzzle diameter. Thanks Bill

airaddict

sorry. mine is still w the gunsmith getting bead blasted and the brake fitted so i wont get pics for a couple of weeks. its killin me too!

im gonna put a mag contour 22" 308 fluted barrel in it, .685 muzzle. i havent completly inletted the barrel channel but from the looks of it when i sat the barreled action in the stock, ill prob be left w about half of the flat that was there originally. its not to much that needs to be removed to get it free floated. im used to sporter barrels and to me this mag contour is quite chunky. light enough to still carry (thanks to the fluting) but thick enough to help out w accuracy.

brian

Jeatwell_67

Quote Originally Posted by MDHOGGER
    Jeatwell_67 was your sporter contour the Savage standard or Magnum Sporter contour what length barrel and muzzle diameter. Thanks Bill
    Standard sporter, 22", have not measured the muzzle diameter.

68injunhed

Quote Originally Posted by HogFan4Ever
    Pictures???????? ;D You guys are killing me, got to see what it looks like.
    I just got mine finished. I have athread about it, but here is a pic of the finished rifle.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/loyal_poppy/Boom%20stuff/Photo0081.jpg[/img]

airaddict

ok. i finally got my barreled action from the machine shop and they did a great job bead blasting it and fitting the brake.

My barrel (mag contour) is to fat to fit into the barrel channel of my Boyds FT, not by much though. Im gonna have a gunsmith from my gunclub do the pillars and glass bedding and open up the barrel channel and fit the trigger guard. Since its bottom bolt release, i found theirs more to inlet for it than just the shape of the gaurd itself. The little tab that moves the sear leg to release the bolt needs to have some wood relieved in order to be functional and in order to be able to drop into the guard recess. He only charges $50 so ill let him do this one cuz i like supporting our gunclub members. Once all is said and done (hopefully late next week) ill surely post pic for yall to drool over. shes gonna look Sharp!

Brian B