Thread: What is the purpose of the bolt baffle?

51Bravo

What is the purpose of the bolt baffle?

Can anybody answer this?

Wood

Re: What is the purpose of the bolt baffle?

Which one?
    The front baffle, which is right behind the locking lugs; is the primary seal in the event of a case-head failure.
    The rear baffle, which is the moon shaped piece in front of the bolt handle; is the last seal in case of the aforementioned malady. If gases get into the bolt body, rather than flowing out the cocking slot into your face, this stops it. It also provides a mechanical starting point for the extraction of a fired case.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

nsaqam

Those two baffles, along with the solid BAS combine to make the Savage 110 series of rifles the best rifle there is for keeping the shooter safe from errant gas.

51Bravo

So the people that convert to a fixed bolt (700 style) loose that failsafe?

Basic Member

What people are you talking about?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

Stevens 200 gas vent

1916 No.1 Enfield gas vent.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP6633.jpg[/img]

A rifle is only as safe as the person pulling the trigger.

Below a deactivated drill purpose Enfield rifle that was sold as a wall hanger only. And a so called gunsmith restored it to shooting condition. The person who pulled the trigger lost half of his thumb and is suing the gun store and the previous owner and his "gunsmith".

That is a half inch hole drilled through the chamber and barrel threads "AND" the firing pin was welded to the bolt head to prevent firing.

A rifle is only as safe as the person pulling the trigger. And a 45,000 CUP blowout below.

I'm sorry about this posting I was a little baffled and just needed to vent. ::)

Basic Member

^^^That just baffles me as to why anyone would do that.

51Bravo

Thanks for the pics... a bunch of geniuses. So how doe the Rem 700 get away without having a bolt baffle?

Wood

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by 51Bravo
    Thanks for the pics... a bunch of geniuses. So how doe the Rem 700 get away without having a bolt baffle?

Wood
    What does it get away with? The "three rings" divert gas in the event of a case failure in a Rem, the front baffle on a Savage works as a roadblock in a similar situation.

I want to know the answer to Fred's question also.

I answered your question, then you asked another that sounds like you are asking around something else....
    What is the REAL nature of your question?
    Do you really want to know:
    Which one is "more safe", why are they different, does it matter, do you even know the difference between the two??

Remington's Three rings of steel, actually marketing genius; I mean it sounds impressive, right?
    Ring #1)
    The bolt head is longer(more overlap on the case) than a Savage, which is what Remington calls "Completely encapsulating the case head".
    Ring #2)
    The barrel is countersunk, so that the first "ring" gets tucked into the end of the barrel.
    Ring#3)
    the receiver around the barrel.

Now as you can see this takes ALOT of machine work in order to ensure that all pieces fit like a glove. Which means for the mass produced piles that come out of Remington, they aren't really as "tight" as they want you to believe. Savage and Remington are completely different systems (threaded firing pin assemblies, Soldered bolt handles). So unless you are asking about taking the baffles off your Savage to look Non-Savage, I don't know why ANYONE would spend so much money to make a Savage bolt LOOK like a Remy. ???

The Savage system basically understands that Case head sep's are coming, and the gas is coming for you! The Savage system works to direct the gas away from your face. The Remy attempts to contain it in the barrel area.

Sep's are great in any case, but they are MUCH less pleasant in a Remy than a Savage. At least that is what my face thought of the events

I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

51Bravo

I found a couple guys that converted some savages to a Remington 700 style bolt but i cant seem to find it now. It was in a thread years ago.

Wood

Giturgun

Can not beleive no one has answered this yet. Simply the Baffle is there to baffel us all. Seems to work well

nsaqam

The very first reply answered the OP's question.