Thread: Have you seen your chrony do this before?

358Hammer

Have you seen your chrony do this before?

[img width=600 height=450]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/001-8.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/002-5.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/003-1.jpg[/img]

Today could not have been a better day. Finally found time, Weather and my wife all together at the same time to finish load testing of the 224 minicoop.

26" light varmint Benchmark 3 groove Nitrided 224 minicoop barrel on a Savage Rifle action!!! ( was 338)
    I guess the stock is a Savage? It fit this very old Savage action perfectly.
    I was shooting 36gr barnes bullets today along with 45gr Barnes solid brass bullets. Some others that I need not mention as when I shot them the chrony kept reading ERROR! I was also missing holes on the paper HUUUUUUMM

In my barrel any way I took it to 58grs Rel 17 behind the 36gr Barnes. The 4910 velocity was with the 45 gr bullet.

Neal

hotbrass

Re: Have you seen your chrony do this before?

With a couple more grains of RL-17, you could probably achieve escape velocity!

dcloco

224 Minicoop?

358Hammer

[img width=600 height=450]http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk460/emeraldislandlover/224minicooppicture.jpg[/img]

6 Remington on left. Minicoop next followed by two loaded Minicoop, 270 Win and the start of it all-- 338 Cooper express Ala Gibbs. Which originally was based upon the 7X65R case for break opens. Now it is either a 280 Rem RWS or Nosler case. 30 degree shoulder on the mini and 35 on the larger case.

Neal

Is this a laser beam or what,LOL Never seen velocitys like this before.What is the barrel life expectancy?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Team Savage

Probably about 200 rounds, if you're lucky!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member

Highest I've seen is 4700fps from a 220Wilson-Arrow shooting 36gr Varmint Grenades through a very tired barrel. You sure its not blast intefering and being counted?
    Cheers...
    Con

How far is the Chrony set up from the muzzle? The Chrony chronographs are sensitive to muzzle blast and will give erronious readings. I have the Master Chrony and it gives me weird reading if its set up too close.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Cover Dog

Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman
    Is this a laser beam or what,LOL Never seen velocitys like this before.What is the barrel life expectancy?
    Barrel was gone after the 2 pictures of the crony.

358Hammer

That was funny Cover Dog!

I would be very surprised if I ever wear out the barrel. With the Nitride finish we have self lubricity and very low temperatures. That little bitty bullet never generated any felt heat on the barrel. I shot a bunch and the barrel temp never changed from when I shot the first round. I alternated between a lot of other stuff so all barrels stayed cool.

Chrony was actually working perfectly at 25 feet. I had to move the chrony back years ago when I started shooting the 378 and 460 Weatherby cases from a 17-19" handgun barrel. Was getting some weird readings if it read at all @ 15 feet from the muzzle.

Neal

Basic Member

My CED chrony has given me errors at 10 feet from the muzzle with my 308. I moved back to 12 feet and errors stopped. Overcast days will cause problems too. I am considering getting the IR skyscreens for my CED. It would work better here in the PNW.