Thread: sticky bolt

CarRamrod

sticky bolt

I need some input about the savage bolt. Everytime i shoot it or even dry fire it, the bolt locks up and takes quite a bit of force to open it and other than that the bolt is smooth. I don't know whats wrong with it and i was reading around on the net and couldn't get a precise answer.

Basic Member

Re: sticky bolt

Scope mount/ring screw in contact with the bolt?

Try loosening you action screws to see if maybe one or the other is too long. "5Wire" also has a good idea to check the scope mount screws.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Tbob

If it's smooth unelss dry fired or fired, I don't think it's going to be a long action bolt or scope base screw. It would be more in the cocking mechanism or trigger group wouldn't it?

thomae

Just a guess here:
    If it is not a scope mount screw or action screw, check the cocking pin and the cocking ramp. You could have some odd wear pattern that is causing lots of friction. I think I recall reading that some posters had significant wear on the cocking pin. If the pin is not contacting the ramp along the full width of the ramp, and/or if there is grit in between the contact surfaces, you could be "grinding" away the ramp or the pin. That would certainly cause an increase in friction while raising the bolt after firing.

Now that I think of it, it might be a good idea to disassemble the bolt (easy to do, do a search and you will find it on this forum) and make sure it is clean and lubricated appropriately with no grit or burrs on any of the moving parts.

Just my free opinion. Worth what you paid for it.

Good luck. I hope whatever the probem is, it is an easy fix.
    Cheers,
    Thomae

CarRamrod

can youll please explain where these are located or have any pictures because this is my first rifle

tyler.woodard04

you may just be feeling the cocking action then if its your first experience with a rifle

Tbob

How much effort is required to open the bolt after firing? Can you lift the bolt handle with a couple of fingers or do you have to use your whole hand?

When you fire your rifle, you release a compressed firing pin spring which drives the firing pin into the primer causing it to spark and ignite your powder. When you cock your rifle after you shoot it, you have to re-compress the firing pin spring for the next shot. This causes more effort to be applied to the bolt handle to lift it up to compress the firing pin spring. Once you do that, the effort to work the bolt is substantially lower.

What we need to know to try to help you is how much effort is it taking you to lift that bolt? Gotta a friend with a bolt gun you could cycle to compare?

Eric in NC

The effort it takes to open the bolt and cock a Savage is generally quite a bit more than for other bolt action guns. If it is just somewhat harder than other guns, it is the Savage design (although SSS can time and true your receiver and make it work really slick).

CarRamrod

i have handled other bolt actions and i know its kinda rough to move the bolt at anytime compared to others but it takes my whole hand just to open the bolt after i fired it including even dry firing it

Basic Member

Lube cocking cam with Super lube, Moly, etc. this will make the bolt as slippery as snot on a door knob.
    (if all else fails "lightly" polish with hard Arkansas stone)

Bolt Maintenance Methods & Materials
    Proper Cleaning and Lubrication Ensures Bolt Reliability and Long Life

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...ods-materials/

CarRamrod

i unscrewed the scope and action screws and even lubed the cocking cam but it still does it. I really dont know what else it could be .Also, i noticed when you try to pull up the bolt handle after you shoot it but dont pull it all the way up to uncock it, the bolt flies back down. I dont know if that can provide any more info about it

What area are you located? Maybe there is a member there that can see it first hand and give an opinion to help you.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Yeah, you've got a weird situation there.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Tbob

From the sound of it, you have something crazy going on in your bolt. Sounds like when you are lifting the bolt handle, the firing pin spring is being twisted causing the bolt to slam back down under spring pressure when you release it. My guess is the spring is binding or catching on something inside of the bolt. How old is this rifle? Any rust on or around the bolt when you got it? Did you buy it new? You could spray penetrating oil inside the bolt body and see if it helps. Either way, if it were mine, I would disassemble the bolt. You have a gunsmith in your area?