Thread: 243 Win 105 A-Max w/Superformance

sendero72

243 Win 105 A-Max w/Superformance

Has anyone worked up a load for the 243 with 105 A-Max using the new Superformance powder? I called Hornady and they have no load data. They are depending on Hogden for their data.

Re: 243 Win 105 A-Max w/Superformance

no, Thinking nothing I have would spin that right. They both like 70-75gr, So I'm not to likely to buy that heavy of a bullet.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Never tried the Superformance yet, but I have been playing with the 105s. Retumbo is decent with a 100% case fill and gives just over 3,000 fps. Reloader 25 is one that I'm liking a lot. I'm a little over 3,100 fps with no pressure signs, great accuracy, consistent velocity.

Basic Member

I was told by Hornady that they have different "blends" of the superformance powder in their factory loadings so it will be very difficult to get any load info from them since they only put out one blend as the Superformance powder available to us.

sendero72

The new burn chart shows Superformance just below H4831sc. Guess I'll start around 39grs and work up in 1/2 gr increments until I see signs of pressure. mscott71.....how far off the lands are you seating the A-max?

I was told by Hornady that they have different "blends" of the superformance powder in their factory loadings so it will be very difficult to get any load info from them since they only put out one blend as the Superformance powder available to us.
    Ahhhh yes, the old Horn-head bait and switch... Buy our new pooper-formance just like what is in our new loadings.... maybe...
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member

Ahhhh yes, the old Horn-head bait and switch... Buy our new pooper-formance just like what is in our new loadings.... maybe...
    I take it this has happened before? I found the .223 75gr HPBT Superformance factory loads shoot very nicely in the Lilja barreled AR I built. I asked for load data, and got the info in my first post instead.

Ever hear of the 6.5 Creedmoor? load info printed on the box? yeah, been several "loads" printed on the box... None of the originals ever matched the claims, as was pointed out in several magazine articles... When the gun rags are willing to call you out...
    Remember when they rolled out the Amax line(years ago now) and folks didn't want to switch from the HPBT. The (308) 178 HPBT had better numbers than the Amax. They discontinued the HPBT, and claimed that bullet's numbers weren't really that good.
    Fast forward in time to the Superformance unveiling, guess what bullet comes in their magic 308 load?? A 178 HPBT, and what is the BC of this "new" bullet?? sorry, can't admit, er, uh-hem, tell you that...

Bryan Litz has done some really amazing bullet testing, part of his work was featured in The Varmint Hunter magazine a couple of years ago. Guess which manufacturer seems to be consistently "liberal" with their BC numbers...

sendero72

I started my test with the Superformance. Started at 42grs to 43.5 in 1/2gr increments. MV started from 2822 to 2977 from a 22" barrel. 43grs is the max as pressure signs on the primer showed up on the 43.5. The best group was the 42 and 42.5 and will be somewhere between the two. Problem is horizontal stringing. The bullet is seated .010 off the lands. Regardless of the loads, at least one bullet will the cut the 1/4" bulls eye. All groups are around one inch. The barrel is floating fine, just wondering about the 3 stock screws. Is there a particular order you should use to tighten these screw and what torque should be used. Inch pounds?? Savage model 11.
    Thanks

I am not sure of the tightening sequence, or if it matters.
    In my experience, horizontal stringing is usually a barrel harmonic whip issue.
    They tend to rear their heads when a powder/load is less than optimal, or inconsistent.

I've tried this powder with the Hornady 75 Vmax in both of my 243's.Accuracy wasn't all that great and whenI was done it looked like ash laying in the bottom of my barrel. Very dirty stuff!
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

sendero72

Switched primers from Winchester to CCI and the group tighten up to .75 from 1.25. Didn't shoot thru the chrony yet to see if the MV changed or not. I think it has promise. Also did my first job at bedding on this "tupperware" stock and it looks like it was my first also. I don't think anyone will pay me to bed their stock, but it was fun and it did work. A little tinkering with the load and I think this baby is going to shoot. My deer season opens in two weeks, so I'll know soon. Will be interesting to see what a 105 A-max does to a deer!

I also tried the superformance and velocities were high but, the spread was sometimes 100 fps. My 760, 7828, and RX 22 loads all are within 20 fps max.

Cycler

Quote Originally Posted by sendero72
    Will be interesting to see what a 105 A-max does to a deer!
    Probably not what you want. It's a target bullet so controlled expansion was not a design consideration. i'd ues a purpose built hunting bullet and give up a small amount of target accuracy for better performance on animals.

Ever hear of the 6.5 Creedmoor? load info printed on the box? yeah, been several "loads" printed on the box... None of the originals ever matched the claims, as was pointed out in several magazine articles.
    That is odd. Mine did and the test that Petersens ran did. Go figure.

sendero72

Seated the bullet .005 off the lands and it grouped in the .2's at 100yds and shot 1.5" at 400yds. MV is 2870 fps. Should be a very good round for medium, 600 yds.

I think so. Looks like you have a winner.