Thread: readily available 6.5 mm take off or equivalent

Basic Member

readily available 6.5 mm take off or equivalent

what would be the most reasonably and easily acquired 6.5 mm? 260 rem or 6.5x55? Has A&B ever carried one of these. I dont want to pay nearly 300 for a barrel right now and want a light weight medium power barrel with hunter accuracy.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

sinman

Re: readily available 6.5 mm take off or equivalent

either get an a&b blank and have it chambered or find a used high dollar one, or break down for a custom barrel.

PBR DRIVER

Try E.R Shaw. Priced right.

Basic Member

Midway has the A&B 6.5x55 barrels, sproters in stock the other day, givem acheck.

Basic Member

The 6.5x55 is a grand ole cartridge...the A&B bbl will be CM blue....if you can get one for $130 or so it will serve you well....or as mentioned ER Shaw is a step up.....or a full custom ordered bbl to your specs for $425 or so....8 twist is pretty much standard....or just buy a Tikka T3 in 6.5x55....ss/syn or blue steel/walnut...
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

sinman

the tikka t3 is a very tempting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Armed in Utah
    ...the A&B bbl will be CM blue....if you can get one for $130 or so it will serve you well....or as mentioned ER Shaw is a step up......
    not sure who is doing it now, but A&B were made be ER Shaw at one time. so would that be like savage being a step up from stevens? LOL
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Armed in Utah
    ...the A&B bbl will be CM blue....if you can get one for $130 or so it will serve you well....or as mentioned ER Shaw is a step up......
    not sure who is doing it now, but A&B were made be ER Shaw at one time. so would that be like savage being a step up from stevens? LOL
    the ER Shaw would be SS....a $100 or so step up......

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    the tikka t3 is a very tempting rifle.
    Yept...I have several Tikka's...two in Swede....easy to make 'em shoot outta the box...

Basic Member

I dont see them even listed on Midway - if I had, I would be done already. I have a Whelen from them and am quite happy with it and if they would ever carry the 338 win mag, I would probably do that one too.

I cant remember the pricing on the Shaw, but I looked into them before and thought they were too close in price to Shilen, so If I was going to break above the A&B price, may as well get the Shilen.
    --------Savage - the last refuge for the persecuted left handed rifleman----------------

Basic Member

just called Midway, and they have mauser barrels and barrel blanks in 6.5 cal. What is required to turn one of these into a savage bolt on - gunsmithing I assume. Once again, soon to be into shilen price range. I dont see anyone beating Northland for this.

sinman

You would have about $175 in a A&B 6.5mm blank to turn it into a a prefit 6.5x55

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    You would have about $175 in a A&B 6.5mm blank to turn it into a a prefit 6.5x55
    thanks, Are you estimating 175 total, or in addition to my blank? Any leads on who could do this, I just called a smith by me and he said 200 plus the blank plus blueing. Not something I would want to add to a A&B barrel.

sinman

I do it for $175 including the blank but no blueing.

okie2

GO WITH ER SHAW 26" $170 NOT BLUED BUT YOU CAN DO THAT YOUR SELF LIKE I DID ON 3 OF THEM AND THEY ARE GOOD SHOOTING BARRELS