Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: model 12 LRP(long range precision)

Re: model 12 LRP(long range precision)

Do these come with the picatinny base like they they show in the Rifle Shooter article or was that something added for the magazine?
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

jinx-)

no, no basses just rifle, accutrigger key, trigger lock, target and ear plugs I would suggest 20 moa one piece base.

Bummer,thanx

Basic Member

Little late on this, but I had the chance to shoot one of the new Model 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. Seems the local range had a Savage day recently (yeah I missed it because of work) and figured I was just out of luck. When I stopped by yesterday, the smith said 'I have gun for you to shoot!' - yup he sure did. This one had what looked like (we took a tape measure to it) 24 inch barrel, nice and heavy - stock reminded me of the beavertail synthetic I have on my 20 Tac (courtesy of Jim at NSS), target action / trigger (Sweet!) a Nikon BDC scope.

It was the try before you buy thing Savage seems to having going - problem is I want one now. Hornady 140gr factory loads, first shot at 100yd and right in the 2in target they hung up. Pulled the next one, but the next three just stacked up on the fist - dang. Factory load and out of the box rifle. Now to figure out if it was the rifle or the caliber. Lite recoil, and dang thing shoots like my custom 20 Tactical.

Do I pull the barrel on the 223 VLP and replace with a custom 6.5 Creedmoor, or just find one of these Model 12 LRP's - lol, love that Target trigger.

bowhunter42

Hey Right on, I wish I had a range around here that savage would do the same thing, but then again my check book would not like it to much.lol what I would like to know is how is the Creedmore compared to the 6.5-284 as far velocity and such? I know the 284 is a barrel burner.

racinready300ex

Where are you at Mike?

Anyway one of the ranges I'm a member of had a savage day the other day. I got to shoot this new LRP in 6.5 Creedmore. I shot it quit a bit, as the savage guy said he didn't want to take any ammo back with him.

I was very impressed with the accuracy of this rifle. We were shooting it off of a bench at 600 yards, with factory hornady ammo. And it just didn't miss, to the point I was starting to think the target puller wasn't moving the spotter. It was almost boring, you pull the trigger and it put one in the 10 ring right were you wanted it. The most amazing part to me was during the coarse of the day it probably had 300+ rounds shot through it with little to no time to cool and was never cleaned. But it just kept shooting.

I can't help but wonder what it could have done with some good hand loads. Put a better scope on it and in a good rest that thing would be hard to beat.

jinx-)

so at the Savage day show, you shoot rifle and buy the one you just tested? Weird Savage factory is like 200 miles from where I shoot, but never heard about Savage day. Probably because they have to pass Remington plant on the way here :-)

racinready300ex

The savage day here was put on by a local gun smith. Some how he got someone from savage to bring down 9 guns, and nikon brought scopes and hornady ammo. Let people try everything out. I personally wasn't looking to buy anything when I went, but I left wanting to get a 6.5 LRP, and a new nikon spotting scope. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

You didn't buy the one you tested, there was only one of each at the range for everyone to try.

Basic Member

racinready300ex, in the DFW TX area.

They had 2 300 WINMAGs, a 17hmr, one of the 308 F class jobs, the Model 12 and a hunter style 6.5 Creedmoor. The day of the event they also had H&K there, so with Savage, H&K, Nikon and Hornday they had some nice stuff out I would think (don't know for sure since I wasn't there).

Can't stop thinking about that Model 12 LRP or the Creedmoor, dang it. Wonder if I built one off my 12 VLP if it would shoot as nice,LOL. Still love that target action and trigger.

Well I've had my LRP for about 2 weeks now and am not impressed.I haven't used any factory ammo but have tried 55 grain to 105 grain bullets and get groups below 1.5" @ 200 yd. Maybe I just have too high a standard,but with what I've been feeding this thing it should shoot better than this. Been a reloader for 30 years and usually don't have a problem getting something to shoot.I might have to give up on this one.

jinx-)

looks like you got 0.6 - 0.7 MOA riffle, I would suggest another barrel, that's what I'm going to do on my replacement...

Danley

Quote Originally Posted by 243LRP
    Well I've had my LRP for about 2 weeks now and am not impressed.I haven't used any factory ammo but have tried 55 grain to 105 grain bullets and get groups below 1.5" @ 200 yd. Maybe I just have too high a standard,but with what I've been feeding this thing it should shoot better than this. Been a reloader for 30 years and usually don't have a problem getting something to shoot.I might have to give up on this one.
    How many rounds do you have down the barrel?

125+ so far w/regular cleanings. I actually had a promising load the other night,60 gr Sierra HP touching the lands got a .99" @ 200 yds.,but I think it should be capable of better. I don't understand why the magazine is so long and the throat seems short to me. 95 gr VLD's are maxed @ 2.850",that would fit a Remington short action magazine no problem. I was really hoping for more accuracy with 55 to 70gr bullets for hog hunting @ 300+, guess I just need to experiment more.

jinx-)

I think I have promising load as well, 3 shots 2.343"@500 yards, but 4th shot open up to 5.2"

[img width=368 height=450]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3185/6mmnorma31.jpg[/img]

I'm using 105 gr A-Max and 29.6 gr Varget

I also tried 87 gr V-Max same distance, don't know what exact measurements are have to measure that pen ;-)

[img width=490 height=450]http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/4867/6mmnorma33.jpg[/img]

I can't help but wonder what it could have done with some good hand loads.
    The Hornady factory loading with the 140 A-Max is so consistently accurate that I find myself wondering, other than the cost factor, why I hand load for my Creedmoor. Looking at my shooting notebook I can't find any meaningful statistical advantage my 140g A-Max hand loads have over the factory stuff.

So far my 243 seems to favor the lighter bullets,which is weird with a 9.25 twist I thought it should do well with heavier long range bullets.

jinx-)

I think you need 1:8 twist to handle those 100+ grain bullets

M.O.A.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm
    I can't help but wonder what it could have done with some good hand loads.
    The Hornady factory loading with the 140 A-Max is so consistently accurate that I find myself wondering, other than the cost factor, why I hand load for my Creedmoor. Looking at my shooting notebook I can't find any meaningful statistical advantage my 140g A-Max hand loads have over the factory stuff.
    cost it cost less to reload in the long run and it fun to know that the groups your getting are from your hard work not some 10 ton machine stamping out things that might or might not be quality pieces

It won't shoot 95 VLD's either but they work great in my Remingtons with 1-10 twist. Go figure.

jinx-)

243LRP, have you call Savage to find out what they use to test LRP in 243?

70 gr B-tip. Why would you market a gun as "long range" that wouldn't shoot heavy streamlined bullets accurately?

jinx-)

Its all about marketing strategy and how they win minds of specific layer of buyers, which wouldn't spend money on F and Benchrest or LRPV rifles, for the same reason it was placed under target category when in reality it should be in varmint with its 26" barrel.

The only thing twist does is stabilize the bullet. Just because it is 1:9.25 doesn't mean it will be most accurate with heavy bullets, just means they shouldn't keyhole. I have a Rock River AR with 1:8 twist that hates anything over 55 grn bullets. It SHOULD be wonderful with 69 grn or 75 grn A Max. Yep, it stabilizes them but they group bad. Drop back to the 55 grn and all 10 in an inch.

Jinx, I am picking up a LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor this week. I am hoping I have a little better luck than you did.
    More shooting, less typing.

jinx-)

Jamie, I had TC ICON PH in 308 and 1:12 twist which I sold and bought LRP, I had no problem putting 150 - 175 gr bullets under 1/2" more like 1/4", of curse TC has 5-R riffling, but the idea is, if barrel done right it should shoot straight, I also have SPS-V in 223 with 1:12 twist, it loves 50 - 55 gr bullets, same accuracy as TC and both factory barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by jinx-)
    Jamie, I had TC ICON PH in 308 and 1:12 twist which I sold and bought LRP, I had no problem putting 150 - 175 gr bullets under 1/2" more like 1/4", of curse TC has 5-R riffling, but the idea is, if barrel done right it should shoot straight, I also have SPS-V in 223 with 1:12 twist, it loves 50 - 55 gr bullets, same accuracy as TC and both factory barrels.
    Yep, it should but sometimes it doesn't work out like that. 1:12 twist are common in both those calibers for those weight bullets. I have a 1:8 Mcgowen .243 barrel that will shoot everything from 55 grn to 107s under 1/2" with it's favorites going into 1/4" but most barrels have a specific range of bullets they like and a faster twist does automatically make the barrel like heavier bullets over lighter ones.
    More shooting, less typing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast